Electrolux (Dometic) Three Way Fridge

Featured Posts

Can anyone help us to find a replacement for a damaged Electrolux (Dometic) three way fridge flue vent cover?

While single handedly negotiating the awkward lift bridge (No. 233) beneath the new works on the A34 flyover, our fridge vent came into contact with the inappropriately placed canalside barrier and, as a result is now partly destroyed.

The images below show the flue vent in its present state, and diagrams from the Electrolux Manual. Our fridge is a Electrolux model RM 6401 LSC.

frdgvnt3.jpg

frdgvnt1.jpg

frdgvnt2.jpg

I have found a part listed on a couple of parts websites but as there is no illustration, I cannot be sure if it is the right part and at a price of £69.99 it may be the whole vent kit whereas I only need the top cover.

This any good, Graham?

Different type, but appears to be the same thing. It's very like what we used to have.

Tony

Graham's Dometic is (unusually) a room sealed / balanced flue model.

That vent is for the normal open flued type.

Ah, gotcha. Never seen one of those.

Tony

They were the only type the BSS people were prepared to give a qualified OK to, but, as I understand it, Dometic no longer make them, which is why BSS people are back to having a total downer on LPG fridges.....

Ours vents into the boat.

Sue

Mind you, the BSS People may have a point!

Can anyone help us to find a replacement for a damaged Electrolux (Dometic) three way fridge flue vent cover?

Might it need a complete kit of a different type fitting-

This one claims to be compatible with all types of Dometic fridges-

http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/acatalog/dometic-flue-kit.html

Cheaper here though -

(it looks to be the same)

http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/product/Dometic_Flue_Kit_530060#

Edit to add - seen it's already ben sugested...and it's no good... :(

Edited by MJG

Might it need a complete kit of a different type fitting-

This one claims to be compatible with all types of Dometic fridges-

http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/acatalog/dometic-flue-kit.html

Cheaper here though -

(it looks to be the same)

http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/product/Dometic_Flue_Kit_530060#

No,

All the links people are posting are for the more commonly found type of non room sealed Electrolux / Dometic fridge.

They are just vents, (outlet of burnt gasses only).

Graham has the much more unusual balanced flue type, (i.e his fridge is completely room sealed), so needs a special type that incorportates both an inlet for the clean air, and an outlet for the combusted gasses.

Only the right thing will do - nothing else can possibly be adapted.....

EDITED TO ADD:

Cross posted with where you acknowledge it's the wrong bit !

Edited by alan_fincher

No,

All the links people are posting are for the more commonly found type of non room sealed Electrolux / Dometic fridge.

To be fair though the web site I linked to does say compatible will ALL Domteic fridges which is patently not correct it seems.

Edited by MJG

I was rather hoping that someone might have a used or redundant one.

So many people seem to be saying that they have removed their gas fridges but I didn't realise that so many 'non-room sealed' units were being used on boats.

A link to a reliable Dometic spares stockist would be most helpful.

I was rather hoping that someone might have a used or redundant one.

So many people seem to be saying that they have removed their gas fridges but I didn't realise that so many 'non-room sealed' units were being used on boats.

Graham,

Alnwick is the only canal boat I have ever encountered with a room sealed variant.

I'd guess that virtually all those installed are not room sealed.

(Probably almost exactly the same situation as exists for Morcos, including I'm guessing, yours!....)

Graham,

Alnwick is the only canal boat I have ever encountered with a room sealed variant.

I'd guess that virtually all those installed are not room sealed.

(Probably almost exactly the same situation as exists for Morcos, including I'm guessing, yours!....)

So it looks as if that nasty section of canal under the A34 works has cost me £70 - I should have stayed on the Thames a bit longer and used Dukes Cut!

BTW, our Morco is now brilliant - water can be far too hot for the hands on its maximum setting but I really don't know if that result was achieved through the new water pump, new Morco or new gas regulator . . .

While single handedly negotiating the awkward lift bridge (No. 233) beneath the new works on the A34 flyover, our fridge vent came into contact with the inappropriately placed canalside barrier and, as a result is now partly destroyed.

The images below show the flue vent in its present state, and diagrams from the Electrolux Manual. Our fridge is a Electrolux model RM 6401 LSC.

frdgvnt3.jpg

frdgvnt1.jpg

frdgvnt2.jpg

I'm thinking repair, not replace.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this appears to have 'lost' only the top cap/deflector for the exhaust gasses, and the inlet is the outside perimeter of the larger 'pancake' area. Is the rest of the fitting OK?

The 'H. Robinson' in me tells me that there MUST be a DIY solution which will not offend the regulations or the aesthetics, and indeed may by an improvement on the original which would be less likely to be damaged.

To assist my, or anyone else's, grey matter, can you tell us the O/S dia of the flue pipe and the PCD of its (damaged) fixing holes, and possibly the height of the missing item.

......or are you intent on replacing it with an identical unit (which may get damaged again?)

I'm thinking repair, not replace.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this appears to have 'lost' only the top cap/deflector for the exhaust gasses, and the inlet is the outside perimeter of the larger 'pancake' area. Is the rest of the fitting OK?

The 'H. Robinson' in me tells me that there MUST be a DIY solution which will not offend the regulations or the aesthetics, and indeed may by an improvement on the original which would be less likely to be damaged.

To assist my, or anyone else's, grey matter, can you tell us the O/S dia of the flue pipe and the PCD of its (damaged) fixing holes, and possibly the height of the missing item.

......or are you intent on replacing it with an identical unit (which may get damaged again?)

Good thinking! If it was made of brass or copper, I would have made one by now! The OD of the exhaust pipe is approximately 33mm - there were no fixing holes - its protective cover was an integral part of the moulding so it may be possible to design or fashion a new protective cover from a piece of plastic drainpipe fitting or something similar, provided it has holes that are as large in area as the internal exhaust flue. I will start looking for something suitable . . .

Good thinking! If it was made of brass or copper, I would have made one by now! The OD of the exhaust pipe is approximately 33mm - there were no fixing holes - its protective cover was an integral part of the moulding so it may be possible to design or fashion a new protective cover from a piece of plastic drainpipe fitting or something similar, provided it has holes that are as large in area as the internal exhaust flue. I will start looking for something suitable . . .

Which bit is missing? I think I have the fittings for the 'other' one so I doubt any of it is compatable?

Which bit is missing? I think I have the fittings for the 'other' one so I doubt any of it is compatable?

Unfortunately, the bit that is missing isn't there - otherwise I might have taken a photograph of it! But I would be very surprised . . .

This is current thinking:-

Made from a 40mm wide strip of Brass, steel or ally and bent as a bridge over the outlet. The centre could be supported and prevent gap closing by the addition of a couple of bolts either side of the flue (just fixed into the new metal as a sort of spacer.

Trapezium.jpg

Other thinking involves a metal cap off a spray can and cutting vents with a Dremel or similar.

Hang on! Wasn't one of the original guards for the older Electrolux fridges made in the shape in the diagram, a folded metal type. I can also think of a cast, and a pressed metal type, both of which would make a suitable cover provided there was sufficient exit flow.

Anyway, food for thought/discussion!

Edited by dave69700

They were the only type the BSS people were prepared to give a qualified OK to, but, as I understand it, Dometic no longer make them, which is why BSS people are back to having a total downer on LPG fridges.....

Mind you, the BSS People may have a point!

It has done for the past 20 yrs. No trouble with our carbon monoxide alarm either.

Sue

This is current thinking:-

Made from a 40mm wide strip of Brass, steel or ally and bent as a bridge over the outlet. The centre could be supported and prevent gap closing by the addition of a couple of bolts either side of the flue (just fixed into the new metal as a sort of spacer.

Trapezium.jpg

Other thinking involves a metal cap off a spray can and cutting vents with a Dremel or similar.

Hang on! Wasn't one of the original guards for the older Electrolux fridges made in the shape in the diagram, a folded metal type. I can also think of a cast, and a pressed metal type, both of which would make a suitable cover provided there was sufficient exit flow.

Anyway, food for thought/discussion!

Presumably the cover is only there to stop insects and other small creatures from entering the exhaust pipe, so something along these lines - even a gauze cover will suffice - and save be £70!

Presumably the cover is only there to stop insects and other small creatures from entering the exhaust pipe, so something along these lines - even a gauze cover will suffice - and save be £70!

I don't think the intention was to stop insects, more like to provide a diffuser for the heat, preventing burns for the unwary, protection for the pipe and prevention of blocking by leaves, fingers and as you say small animals, oh!, and to stop the wind/Great British Weather entering directly.

I would not use gauze as this would restrict airflow, but possibly an expanded 'domed' wire grille (ally racing grille/mesh - see ebay item 380257786643) plus circular bezel/stainless self tappers and a weather deflector directly over the pipe.

Maybe just the external cover for the ordinary fridges, if deep enough, would do the job?

I don't think the intention was to stop insects, more like to provide a diffuser for the heat, preventing burns for the unwary, protection for the pipe and prevention of blocking by leaves, fingers and as you say small animals, oh!, and to stop the wind/Great British Weather entering directly.

I would not use gauze as this would restrict airflow, but possibly an expanded 'domed' wire grille (ally racing grille/mesh - see ebay item 380257786643) plus circular bezel/stainless self tappers and a weather deflector directly over the pipe.

Maybe just the external cover for the ordinary fridges, if deep enough, would do the job?

I have spent a happy hour looking at all manner of vent covers on eBay but I think I will stick with plan B and fabricate one from brass or alluminium sheet.