name changing bad luck?

pamaloon

Featured Posts

If you're superstitious, don't do it, but we did recently and haven't been struck down..............yet.............

As a lass who's actually not superstitious - oops, sorry a seagull's just dobbins'd on my shoulder - I'll play safe and instead of walking or running around Muis three times, I'll just swim around her while she's on the pontoon, pull myself out, wave my knickers in the air three times, all at the same time as raising a glass of something like elderflower juice - just in case "he's" off the bottle at the moment - and Praise Poseidon out loud! :blush: That should just about cover everything... :cheers:

I don't think any of us our particularly superstitious these days...but, if there is a 'tradition' regarding renaming boats then it would be appropriate to honour the way they used to do things...just for the sake of tradition...After all it is traditional to paint those naff roses and castles just about everywhere on your boat!

I've always considered this to be a self-fulfilling superstition - if you think its unlucky but you do it anyway, then everything that goes wrong thereafter will be because you renamed the boat. Whereas if you don't think it's unlucky, then exactly the same set of misfortunes will probably occur, but you'll just accept them!

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread....

Superstition and rituals aside, I presume you need to change your BW license to reflect the new name so do they charge you for this? I gather there's nothing to prevent duplicate names (I'm sure I've seen loads of boats named "Rosie" and other such "pleasant" names.

Resurrecting an old thread....

Superstition and rituals aside, I presume you need to change your BW license to reflect the new name so do they charge you for this? I gather there's nothing to prevent duplicate names (I'm sure I've seen loads of boats named "Rosie" and other such "pleasant" names.

BW licencing really are only interested in knowing a boat by their allocated index number.

There is no need to tell them of a name change until the next time you re-licence it.

Duplicate names are allowed - there are vast numbers of Kingfishers, Willows, etc. and similar, and even names like Narrow Escape appear on many different boats. There are two Rosies moored next to each other just up the cut from us, and at one stage a local mooring had two with the apparently witty name of Llamedos in close proximity.

Edited by alan_fincher

When we bought our boat the lady lock keeper at Kings Lock on the Thames said if we wanted to change the boats name we should tell the boat the reason while walking three times widershun around the boat. We did change the boats name but didn't do the rest and after six years no bad luck has befallen us (at least as far as the boat goes!).

BTW we have a cassette toilet and NO bow thruster.

Dave

Wow - you are unlucky! :rolleyes:

I think superstitions about name changing are more a sea going thing. The canals have their own though. I'd never throw hair in the cut, for one thing. Not because I believe bad things would happen, but because it's nice to remember and continue old ideas.

There are two Rosies moored next to each other just up the cut from us, and at one stage a local mooring had two with the apparently witty name of Llamedos in close proximity.

And two Daisy's next to each other in Ivinghoe (that you previously posted a picture of)!

I think superstitions about name changing are more a sea going thing.

Which worried me a bit when we got on our P&O ferry last year to get to France via. Belgium.

Whilst waiting to board, parked alongside her I noticed she had previously called Norsk or something like that, the name was in large letters welded to her hull - that however had been painted out and 'Pride of Zeebrugge' - painted above it.

I'm not particularly superstitious but I did remember at that particular point - P&O do not have the most wonderful at sea safety record....

Why oh why are there duplicate names?, lack of imagination?

I know boat names are changed very often (both at Sea and inland), presumably most often occurring at change of ownership, but its a real pity that duplicates are allowed. Is there a register of Inland boat names in use?, I know BW don't give a fig, but just curious.

Why oh why are there duplicate names?, lack of imagination?

I know boat names are changed very often (both at Sea and inland), presumably most often occurring at change of ownership, but its a real pity that duplicates are allowed. Is there a register of Inland boat names in use?, I know BW don't give a fig, but just curious.

Heavens yes, and some people even call their children by names that have already been used.

Our boat will be undergoing a name change next year when we get around to repainting - we'll be changing from Pink Bitz (called that when we bought her - apparently the previous owner was an ex stripper) back to Highdale, the original name - which is also welded on the stern in raised lettering (apparently all the Piper boats purchased by IML back in the 80s had this as they were bought on a marine mortgage and this was one of the conditions of the mortgage - or so we've been told).

Not sure what the traditions are for this scenario, but just in case we'll have a drink to the Canal Gods anyway.

Our boat will be undergoing a name change next year when we get around to repainting - we'll be changing from Pink Bitz (called that when we bought her - apparently the previous owner was an ex stripper) back to Highdale, the original name - which is also welded on the stern in raised lettering (apparently all the Piper boats purchased by IML back in the 80s had this as they were bought on a marine mortgage and this was one of the conditions of the mortgage - or so we've been told).

Not sure what the traditions are for this scenario, but just in case we'll have a drink to the Canal Gods anyway.

Denaming a Boat, try this http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm