Does diesel go off?

Featured Posts

Diesel doesn't go off like petrol does, as long as it is in a sealed container. If you are concenred, tip in the tank next time you fill up so it is diluted with fresh fuel, then fill up the jerry again.

Marine/industrial diesel engines are generally quite tolerant of the fuel used but intolerant of water and particulate matter, including rust and diesel bug both alive and dead. Fuel stored in a can for long periods may contain the above but it should be concentrated in the bottom of the can. From my oil company experience I would advise that you leave the can upright for a few hours before carefully decanting the fuel through a filter such as a nylon stocking. into your fuel tank immediately prior to a refuel, and not before any critical passage. Discard any dregs showing particular matter and the extreme bottom of the can. Flush the can with half a cup of diesel shake well and discard before refilling the can. It is good practice to use and replace standby fuel at least every 2 years. It was always an issue for standby generators that unless the operator had a regular test run to maintain fuel turnover that the generator could fail because of fuel contamination just when needed.

Cheers Don

intolerant of water and particulate matter

I have heard this too - and remember that when we were getting ready to go out after having sat on a mooring all winter, we were advised to add something to the fuel just in case there had been any condensation in the tank and water had gotten into the fuel... I am sorry but I am not sure what it was tho

... we were advised to add something to the fuel just in case there had been any condensation in the tank and water had gotten into the fuel... I am sorry but I am not sure what it was tho

Probably FuelSet

Tony

Or maybe Marine 16

Some good info: http://www.marine16.co.uk/acatalog/diesel_bug_pbo_test.pdf

Modern diesel fuel is a mixture of mineral diesel and bio-diesel (even if it doesn't have to say so at less than 5%). Bio is very prone "the bug" growing, so after many months, you might have some sludge.

Probably best to keep your Jerry can supply in regular rotation use.