BW Residential Moorings

Denis R

Featured Posts

Here's a morbid one for you... The BW standard mooring agreement states:

"3. The right to use the Mooring is personal to you and you may not assign it to any person. You may allow another person to use the Mooring for short periods but only with our permission which shall not be unreasonably withheld."

Under the definitions section, 'you' is defined as:

"‘Owner, you, your, yours’ mean the person(s) or entity named as Owner in this Agreement and includes an employee of the Owner or a person in charge of the Boat with the Owner’s permission."

So, family takes on a residential mooring then the 'Owner' whose name is on the Mooring Agreement dies. Do the family have to give up the mooring?

I think you'd find BW extremely sympathetic and flexible, in these circumstances.

There maybe a long list of instances of questionable competence, attributed to BW, but any incidences of nastiness, I have experienced or heard of, are isolated and easily dealt with by ignoring the individual involved and going over their head.

When we applied for our mooring (through the old tender process) we could only put one name on. I wrote to British Waterways (following a phone conversation) and requested that the mooring be put in joint names. We argued that we jointly owned our boat, and should something happen to one of us the ownership of the boat would transfer to the other, and therefore we wanted the security of a jointly leased mooring.

They were more than happy (see how I resisted the obvious pun?!) to put it in joint names, and all our correspondence comes to us both now. Doing this would seem to be an obvious precaution for joint moorers.

(I work in the field of missing persons, and I always have in the back of my mind, what if that happened to one of us. Certainly concentrates the mind.)

no, a mooring is not an heriditement except for council tax purposes, where the government have moved the goalposts

Hmm - - (said whilst stroky beard) now I AM worried . . . .

There are no goalposts on my mooring - - is it that the government have removed them, or not yet delivered/erected them?

should I have goalposts?

Should they be erected if I have them?

Did they deliver goalposts, (only for them to be stolen by other boaters during the night?)

If I get some, am I allowed to use them as part of my winter fuel?

If I do burn them, will that preclude me from claiming a winter fuel allowance in future years?

- - (if there is still a winter fuel allowance!)

So many questions - so few goalposts

no, a mooring is not an heriditement except for council tax purposes, where the government have moved the goalposts

My mooring has telegraph poles.

After reading your post, the government is now threatening to paint them white and recategorise them as goalposts, so they can charge me Council Tax.

Thanks a lot!

pic002.jpg

Hmm - - (said whilst stroky beard) now I AM worried . . . .

There are no goalposts on my mooring - - is it that the government have removed them, or not yet delivered/erected them?

should I have goalposts?

Should they be erected if I have them?

Did they deliver goalposts, (only for them to be stolen by other boaters during the night?)

If I get some, am I allowed to use them as part of my winter fuel?

If I do burn them, will that preclude me from claiming a winter fuel allowance in future years?

- - (if there is still a winter fuel allowance!)

So many questions - so few goalposts

A friend had a similar argument about the pole tax. He had a lovely discussion with officials on the fact that he had no poles on his land and therefore didn't have to pay.

Sue