FMC butties

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Does anyone know of a definative list of what was built and what survives?

Thanks

Lists in Narrow Boat magazine Spring and Summer 2007 no doubt have some errors and only include boats joining fleet from 1900 onwards but are the best I've come across.

Ipswich was recently for sale on Ebay and didn't reach its reserve:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/70-Narrow-Boat-Histo...DefaultDomain_3

I understand they were looking for £19K - probably what was spent at WFBCo!

Paul

Lists in Narrow Boat magazine Spring and Summer 2007 no doubt have some errors and only include boats joining fleet from 1900 onwards but are the best I've come across.

Paul

The lists produced in NarrowBoat magazine were based on Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd's own records. It appears that these records were not as complete as they should have been as it is possible to add over 100 other boats based on heath registrations, gauging records and other similar documents. The lists as published ended up being a compilation of F.M.C. Ltd.'s records with other boats being added by Alan H. Faulkner and myself (we both have seperate transcripts of F.M.C. Ltd. boat records). Apart from a few typo's these lists are about as good as you are going to get, except to say that when I sent my fleet list to Mr Faulkner it was complete with gauge details (that were not published).

It was also me that provided details for the fleet lists on which boats were still extant in some form or another (marked by an asterix). This was produced to the best of my knowledge and may be added to.

If I remember correctly the cut off date of 1900 was chosen for two reasons, and was between Mr Faulkner and Mr Potter (the Editor). The first was to ensure that the editor could manage the information and it is not too bulky (i.e. no gauge details). The second reason is that prior to 1900 F.M.C. Ltd. took over numerous small carriers and companies and it is sometimes difficult to be absolutely certain which boat became what and exactly who it had been acquired from. My preferance is not to publish anything that is suspect as it tends to become quoted as fact.

I have records for 684 F.M.C. Ltd. boats (narrow, wide, horse, steam, motor) so if anybody has an interest in a particular F.M.C. Ltd. horse boat or butty I can usually provide its details.

Edited by pete harrison

Many thanks Pete. You truely are a wealth of knowledge. Are you going to publish all this info one day?

I have absolutely no interest in publishing bulk information, or publishing in my own name. I am only a "wealth of knowledge" whilst my computer is turned on as I now deal with far too much to remember.

I do however assist other researchers with their articles or publications as well as providing occasional snippets for the waterways press, usually captions or comments for specific photographs - for which I make no charge.

I also make my records available to 'historic' boat owners as I believe this information belongs with the boat - for which I also make no charge.