Plastic water drain in fuel filter

boots

Featured Posts

Hi,

we have a Mann pre-filter (model: 842/6) in out diesel fuel line (Isuzu 35). However, it is fitted with a plastic 'water drain' (a plastic nut with a spout on the bottom of the cylinder), as we have been advised that such plastic fittings are not allowed under the BSS.

(details of the filter can be found on page 15 of this document: http://www.mann-hummel.com.sg/EN/industria...%20Liquids.pdf.

Does anyone else have a similar filter? if the plastic cap does need replacing - any ideas where I can get one from?

Hope that makes sense?

appreciate any comments,

cheers,

(edited for broken link)

Edited by boots

Hi,

we have a Mann pre-filter (model: 842/6) in out diesel fuel line (Isuzu 35). However, it is fitted with a plastic 'water drain' (a plastic nut with a spout on the bottom of the cylinder), as we have been advised that such plastic fittings are not allowed under the BSS.

(details of the filter can be found on page 15 of this document: http://www.mann-hummel.com.sg/EN/industria...%20Liquids.pdf.

Does anyone else have a similar filter? if the plastic cap does need replacing - any ideas where I can get one from?

Hope that makes sense?

appreciate any comments,

cheers,

(edited for broken link)

All you should need is the number on the filter and take it to your local motor factors. West of London Cafco sell Mann but any reputable make will do (Fram, Purolator, M&H, Coopers, Champion, Wix, Crossland etc.) That sorts the filter but not the drain.

Get the new filter and remove the drain thing. There is every chance it has an 6 or 8mm thread on it, but it could be something different but I am sure it will not be some special thread. Once you identify the thread get a short setscrew (bolt with thread all the way along) plus a soft (nylon?) washer to suit and you have a metal bung for pennies or nothing if you have a good odds & sods box.

I do this every time I change the Bukh's engine filter and it works for Fram, Coopers & Mann filters.

This may help:- http://www.sogefifilterdivision.com/site/F...117〈=EN

Edited by Tony Brooks

Its almost identical to the one we have fitted, the whole filter unscrews and the plastic drain is part of the replacement.

Changed it about 3 times so far, never had and trouble and it's gone through 4 BSC's?

I wouldn't have a problem unless it was fitted to a petrol engine, not sure about BSS compliance though, as far as I am concerned its OEM installation!

I wouldn't have a problem unless it was fitted to a petrol engine, not sure about BSS compliance though, as far as I am concerned its OEM installation!

BSC says

Are all fuel filters inside engine spaces fire resistant?

Check all fuel filters (including drain plugs) located inside engine spaces are marked or recognised as fire resistant. If not marked or recognised as being suitably fire resistant, verify this by examining any presented declaration from the manufacturer or supplier. Fuel filters (including drain plugs) located inside engine spaces must have intrinsic fire resistance of at least 21⁄2 minutes at 600ºC (1112ºF).

Note – All-metal fuel filters are considered ‘sufficiently fire resistant’. Fuel filters marked with ISO 10088 are acceptable.

Tony

So I'd have my doubts about a plastic drain plug.

Get the new filter and remove the drain thing. There is every chance it has an 6 or 8mm thread on it, but it could be something different but I am sure it will not be some special thread. Once you identify the thread get a short setscrew (bolt with thread all the way along) plus a soft (nylon?) washer to suit and you have a metal bung for pennies or nothing if you have a good odds & sods box.

Thanks for this, however on my filter it is a screw 'cap' rather than plug,

regards

edited to say: - on second thoughts it might actually be a screw plug - guess I'll have to refresh my memory next time I get to the boat...

Edited by boots

Thanks for this, however on my filter it is a screw 'cap' rather than plug,

regards

edited to say: - on second thoughts it might actually be a screw plug - guess I'll have to refresh my memory next time I get to the boat...

I think it is a very large round "head" on a plastic screw thread (male) with a slot in one side and a "rubber" washer around the thread. The big plastic washer like disk was an up stand around it and a small drain "spout" poking down underneath. When you loosen it fuel can drain down the slot into the cup formed by the up stand and the out of the spout.

I bet its an 8mm thread - take it out & check.

Hi Boots

its worth checking that the thread part of the drain is actually plastic. Many of the "plastic" drains have metallic threads and the plastic part is just a hand grip, in this case the filter is compliant. Its worth keeping the old one to show the examiner that the thread is steel.

BTW the requirement for fire resistant fuel filters only applies to filters installed in an engine space, however all fuel filters wether or not fire resistant must be connected by compliant pipe/hose.

HTH

Paul M

on a vwet shroppie