Volvo Penta engines

Featured Posts

Does anyone know anything about these engines. Have just picked one up to strip down and do up for the experience. It says Series 2000 on the rocker cover and on the gearbox is stamped MS2b plus an 8 figure number + a longer number underneath. Can manuals be bought? It is seized at present but the previous owner said its not that old and hasn't done many hours. Any info will be of use....thanks....Dave

Does anyone know anything about these engines. Have just picked one up to strip down and do up for the experience. It says Series 2000 on the rocker cover and on the gearbox is stamped MS2b plus an 8 figure number + a longer number underneath. Can manuals be bought? It is seized at present but the previous owner said its not that old and hasn't done many hours. Any info will be of use....thanks....Dave

I have little knowledge of this model in perticular but have rebuild many MD1,2&3 series volvo's and lots of the much larger TAMD 6 etc. the manuals and parts are easy to obtain from any of the many volvo penta agents but beware the parts are astronomically exspensive compaired to other makes. The last time I had to buy head gaskets for a MD3 they were £90 each and there are 3 of them. the compairable for a 3 cylinder lister was £30 for the lot.

The parts may be expensive but a propely maintained Volvo Penta shouldnt need that many of them.

We have a much newer Volvo Penta and it is pretty much bomb proof. Most of the manuals for past and present models are avaliable to download on the Volvo Penta website. Cant help much with the model you have im afraid, you may have more luck on the motor boats forums. Volvos tended to be fitted to cruisers rather than narrowboats

The parts may be expensive but a propely maintained Volvo Penta shouldnt need that many of them.

Very true but the original post said its seized so far from a well maintain one :lol:

Edited by martyn 1

Very true but the original post said its seized so far from a well maintain one :lol:

Very true, but once it is up and running and if it is well maintained it really should not need many parts along the way.

They are and have been for many years very good engines.

Can manuals be bought?

This one any good? it's for the MD2010, MD2020, MD2030, MD2040, so may not be right for your 2000. See page 19 for the gearbox/engine number details.

This one and this one is for the 2001, 2002, 2003, 2003T, so might be a bit closer.

A bit of Googling wil turn up more.

Here you go: this site from Volvo Penta will give you the correct manuals once you enter the relevant serial numbers etc.

Tony

Many thanks to you all for your replies. Have done a bit of googling and turned up schematics and prices for the model in question, a series 2000, number 2002 868093. OUCH. I dont think I'll be reconditioning this one....too many expensive parts needed. However, injectors, injector pumps, fuel pumps and probably the gearbox are all OK so should be able to recoup my very small outlay on it. Thanks again everyone :lol: