Where to go from Worcester...

Chickadee

Featured Posts

We are finally getting out of Gloucester Sharpness after staying here since we moved down over two years ago.

We are going to get the boat up to worcester or maybe tewksbury a few days before so we can have a full 7 days travel somewhere.

Where would you go if you had 7 days leaving and returning to worcester or Tewksbury in september.

Allowing 3mph and 15 minutes per lock, it would take about 58 cruising hours to go up the Worcester & Birmingham, along the BCN main line to Wolverhampton, down the Staffs & Worcester to Stourport and back down the Severn to Worcester. Just about do-able in a week if you don't mind longish days and don't tarry too long. With 118 locks in the 85 mile trip you will probably save some time, paricularly on the 2 long flights - Tardebigge and Wolverhampton. This would give you a wide variety of canal - urban, suburban and open country and plenty of good places to stop.

We are finally getting out of Gloucester Sharpness after staying here since we moved down over two years ago.

We are going to get the boat up to worcester or maybe tewksbury a few days before so we can have a full 7 days travel somewhere.

Where would you go if you had 7 days leaving and returning to worcester or Tewksbury in september.

Hi

I would go onto the Avon to Stratford and back.

There is fee (£40?) but it is easy cruising and a beautiful river - call at Pershore the museum there is brilliant.

Alex

mmmm.... Well i think after looking at a few routes i think up the avon is winning. It does look beautiful from what i've seen of it.

Could do with some more routes you like and why though... I want to do them all!

The next one would be the whole way up the Staffs & Worcester from Stourport to the T&M - or halfway and turn left up the Shroppy.

or right into Birmingham ....................In fact they're all good ..................find your own way :lol:

Alex

I can't find my own way i'm just far to indecisive! we'll never go anywhere if we can't decide on atleast a general direction :lol:

Hi

Going along with the 'Daft Questions' thread, whenever I am asked where are you going, I always answer - 'That way' - the way the boat happens to be pionting.

Try a ring around and through Birmingham, that will give you a good start, a bit of everything

Enjoy :lol:

Alex

we have decided to go up the avon to stratford then on to birmingham and the down to worcester and home. Really happy with this route my bf missed out on birmingham and worcester last time we went there and i've never been on the avon.

Will be looking for pub recomendations etc nearer the time :lol:

I can't find my own way i'm just far to indecisive! we'll never go anywhere if we can't decide on atleast a general direction :lol:

Hmmm must be a Libran - do you wonder if you'll ever start the project?

Hmmm must be a Libran - do you wonder if you'll ever start the project?

See post above :lol: we will go, i really need a holiday.

I'm taurus, i think the indecisive thing comes from a want to do everything rather than really being indecisive. We only have one week though so can't go everywhere!

we have decided to go up the avon to stratford then on to birmingham and the down to worcester and home. Really happy with this route my bf missed out on birmingham and worcester last time we went there and i've never been on the avon.

Will be looking for pub recomendations etc nearer the time :lol:

Good choice - we often do a bit of the Avon on a long weekend, from the G&S.

On a pub note, the Anchor at Wyre Piddle is now closed (I heard), so not many pubs between Pershore and Evesham.

The Fleet at Twyning just outside Tewkesbury is hard to like. Bizarre moorings!

I can thoroughly recommend the Bell at Eckington; a bit of a walk from the excellent public moorings but worth it.

Pershore pubs I'm not so sure about - have yet to find a really good one.

Moorings at the recreation ground are good.

Planning to do that route myself late August, depending on arrival of 2nd grandchild!

Rob