London Engineers/ boat safety blokes

Featured Posts

Hello, I'm new to the world of boating and I need to get somebody to A, do my boat safety certificate, and B, have a look at my Hurth HBW 5 gearbox.

Anybody that might know somebody or might have some numbers I could call?

Thanks for your time.

Hello, I'm new to the world of boating and I need to get somebody to A, do my boat safety certificate, and B, have a look at my Hurth HBW 5 gearbox.

Thanks for your time.

I suspect you may get some useful replies if you gave peeps some idea of where you are / your boat is

Yes of course,

I am currently moored at the bottom of broadway market in hackney, near victoria park.

My boat is a 45' cruiser.

From what I can see with my inferior knowledge, the gear box is really stiff going back into neutral from either forward or reverse.

Maybe something to do with the clutch system?

The cables seem ok, a bit long for how they are fitted.

The engine control lever itself is also stiff, but it feels like the gearbox is the real route of the issue.

Any ideas?

(snip)

From what I can see with my inferior knowledge, the gear box is really stiff going back into neutral from either forward or reverse.

Maybe something to do with the clutch system?

The cables seem ok, a bit long for how they are fitted.

The engine control lever itself is also stiff, but it feels like the gearbox is the real route of the issue.

Any ideas?

I'd be inclined to suspect cables: Have you tried disconnecting the cable at the gearbox to see if the box can be changed by hand and if there is any difference at the control lever?

Iain

I have disconnected the cables and the gear is still really stiff.

I've been advised to change the transmission fluid which i have done.

Also i will try running the engine for a long time in order to heat up the oil as advised. But i fear the problem is deeper than this.

Thanks for any help people. This forum is pretty good for results.

Thanks for your time.

For your BSS, I'd recommend Roger Alsop at Comet Marine. Tel 01442 399103 or 07956 656063. Very thorough, very sensible.