Interesting Series on "Quest" now.

carlt

Featured Posts

"Boatyard" following the restoration of a wooden boat.

What Sky number is Quest on? Never heard of that one. Can you get it on free to view sat?

Sorry, I'm on Virgin (channel 179) Quest is a discovery spin-off, I think.

No need to apologise- sorry to disturb you! :lol:

We only have the paupers free-to-view-channels-on-a-suitcase-satellite-dish package.

Yes i'm watching that, quite interesting.

A question though, may not be very original but would it have been cheaper/easier to get the wooden hull coated in plastic to save ripping out the interior?

Casp'

You still have to get every scrap of rot out.

Sheathing a wooden boat is the last resort (or to be done when new) it accelerates any rot that remains, stopping the wood from breathing.

Also, you might as well buy a GRP boat and leave the wooden boats to those who want to keep them original.

boat.jpg

Carl,

Good find, but I can't help thinking that I would rather watch you host a programme like this, rather that Tom Cunliffe (probably a nice bloke - but don't know him from Adam).

Canal World Discussion Forum (Web) TV Channel - it's the future!

Edited by Josher

Yes i'm watching that, quite interesting.

A question though, may not be very original but would it have been cheaper/easier to get the wooden hull coated in plastic to save ripping out the interior?

Casp'

I was always told that sheathing a wooden boat with GRP is the last thing you do before it dies!!

Phil

Good find, but I can't help thinking that I would rather watch you host a programme like this, rather that Tom Cuncliffe (probably a nice bloke - but don't know him from Adam).

Canal World Discussion Forum (Web) TV Channel - it's the future!

Only trouble is, Simon Woodward (who subsequently did "The Floating Kitchen") reminds me of David Brent, from The Office and I would be forced to tell him how irritating he is.

I admire what he did with the boat (but, rather less, the bodges he did with the floating kitchen boat) but what a whiner!

Next week they're looking at a GRP boat, which should be interesting.

Edited by carlt

I managed to catch the programs on Freeview 38 and enjoyed the two half hour episodes covering the repair work on the wooden 1930s yacht.

I had to admire the guys fortitude in getting it finished. Many others discovering so much rot in a wooden hull after spending £18K on what they thought was sound boat would walk away in tears.

I thought the laminating technique to replace some of the wooden frame was interesting.

I quite like the Tom Cunliffe chap. I recall seeing him on a series (for BBC4 I think) sailing various significant (in development terms and history etc) historic ships and commenting on their designs etc.

Edited by churchward

I was always told that sheathing a wooden boat with GRP is the last thing you do before it dies!!

Phil

If every bit of rot is removed and repaired properly, then it is dried out thoroughly, then it will probably outlast the owner.

Unfortunately you put a finite life on the boat because, once done, it becomes a grp boat with a wooden lining that is going to rot, eventually, but is practically impossible to maintain.

If you are going to do the necessary work, to prepare the hull, properly, for sheathing, you might as well just paint or varnish the hull.

I had to admire the guys fortitude in getting it finished.

then quickly moving on to his next boat TV project.

Edited by carlt

Ah tempted by the evil of money eh? It's been the ruin of many of us! I thought from the program he was off to sail to the med or similar.

No he went on to make "The Floating Kitchen" where he "restored" an old fishing boat and took it to Paris, in theory to start a restaurant and become a successful TV chef.

The boat was left in a marina, outside Paris, and came up for sale, for a pittance, 3 years ago.

I almost bought it but I just don't have the time for toing and froing between France and here, any more (blumming kids).

There is a thread about it here:

Clicky

I've seen bits of "Boatyard" on Discovery now and then, didn't really catch my eye, though it was interesting to see how they sealed up the boats, and that to get a proper seal, they have to dunk it in the water, which reveals leaks that may or may not stop once the wood is wet... :lol:

I've seen bits of "Boatyard" on Discovery now and then, didn't really catch my eye, though it was interesting to see how they sealed up the boats, and that to get a proper seal, they have to dunk it in the water, which reveals leaks that may or may not stop once the wood is wet... :lol:

Not sure why that's funny but, as wood swells, when it gets wet, if you don't, deliberately, make the seams loose, the planks will spring, off the frames, as they take up, which is far more serious than a few leaky seams.