Looking at putting offer in on boat - Advise needed

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

We both quite liked the engine! Started very easily and ran smoothly with no smoke and quiter than expected. Don't think previous owner has been near engine as it looks well cared for and not swiming in oil like some boats we have seen, although not so clean that it has obviously been cleaned for sale. Besides I like air cooled listers - have rebuilt one as a generator and parents have one that I look after as a spare pump in case of flooding.

Some of the boats posted look good value but not really what we are looking for. Have thought about sailaway and although the shell could be had for not much more than asking price of this boat it would cost a lot more to fit out as you would have to buy all the appliances etc.

Still might put in a very low offer of 10-12k and leave it with the vendor to think about. In the mean time we'll keep looking - have a huge list of brokerage and boat for sale sites saved to favourites! Still looking for a trad boat with boatmans cabin and preferably vintage engine if anyone hears of one going cheap!

Thanks for your time and advice

Tom

You are looking at this the wrong way. There is no guarantee that when you rip this old shed to bits there will be anything worth reusing. If this is the case you end up with a knackered shell and a load of knackered appliances with an engine that runs but is worthless.

Judging by the views of others on here who know their stuff you would be wise to walk away from this one and find a better project with better prospects.

This one isn't cheap (or 70' come to that), but it does look nice with all the features you're looking for:-

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=148110

Boatmans Cabin (check)

Vintage Engine (Lister FR3M check)

Well looked after (check!)

edited to add: but of course you could haggle over the price!

Edited by Tillerman

This one isn't cheap (or 70' come to that), but it does look nice with all the features you're looking for:-

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=148110

Boatmans Cabin (check)

Vintage Engine (Lister FR3M check)

Well looked after (check!)

edited to add: but of course you could haggle over the price!

I really like that, for the money. Would need a survey of course.

1/4" base? 3mm???? Think that might be a mistake but if not... Run away (again)

"Last out of water in March 2009 when she was totally rebottomed, 4 new anodes and blacked by RLL Boats, Bristol.

Last surveyed March 2008, available for inspection.

River licence till 09/10

BSC till 10/10"

I'd say that was pretty sound and it certainly wouldn't have me running away.

Edited by Tillerman

Less than builders use today, but pretty much par for the course in the 1970s/80s, although by 1989 I think many builders were moving to thicker plate. Still need the survey to see how much of that original thickness is left.

David

p.s. Chertesy was only built of 5/16" plate, and has lasted 70-odd years, so you don't *need* the 10mm base plate which is standard today

Yes, I really must refrain from trying to do maths.

Most of Chertsey's original 5/16 bottom plate hasn't actually lasted seventy years; it was substantially (12mm!) rebottomed in the 1980s for most of its length and another section recently overplated. But I grant you, 1937 steel probably lasts a lot better than 1977 (and that probably better that 2007)