Seeking sympathy

duztee

Featured Posts

Morning,

feeling a little sorry for myself and in need of a few kind words.

After weeks of antisipation about the pretty little boat I thought I had found, yesterdays survey turned it into a bit of a shed!

The day started badly when the engine wouldn't start, suspected of swallowing too much rain down the exhaust stack during it's time moored without being run.

Fit-out is poor quality in many areas.

Steel work is actually good above and below but waterline has suffered a lot of rust and pitting, again due to lack of proper maintainance.

So it looks like starting the search all over again.

The moral of this I guess is that a proffesional survey is worth the money!

Duztee.

Morning,

After weeks of antisipation about the pretty little boat I thought I had found, yesterdays survey turned it into a bit of a shed!

The day started badly when the engine wouldn't start, suspected of swallowing too much rain down the exhaust stack during it's time moored without being run.

Steel work is actually good above and below but waterline has suffered a lot of rust and pitting, again due to lack of proper maintainance.

Duztee.

Every cloud has silver lining, and you will be better equipped to see any problems in future maybe. Look on the brightside there are zillions of boats out there... :lol:

Morning,

Duztee.

Sympathies, Duztee . . . .

But as you know - there will be another for you . . .

How good that you found out from your surveyor rather than your steel fabricator

But still - sympathies - and enjoy your searching

Oh that's a shame. You didn't fancy using the poor survey to negotiate on price and/or get the seller to do the work before the sale? Sometimes it's possible to get a very large whack off the price or get remedial work included. If you really love the boat...

Good luck whatever you decide :lol:

Oh that's a shame. You didn't fancy using the poor survey to negotiate on price and/or get the seller to do the work before the sale? Sometimes it's possible to get a very large whack off the price or get remedial work included. If you really love the boat...

Good luck whatever you decide :lol:

Ooh! I'd second that one. From what I've seen it isn't waterline rust that does boat hulls in, it's lower down the hull. If that is OK then blacking should see that good. Try to get some money knocked off for an engine overhaul, say £2000

Richard

Morning,

Duztee.

I was quite disappointed with the survey that I got on my boat too, until it was pointed out to me by a friend that the surveyor is LOOKING for bad things, and will point them all out in great detail- whereas good things may well be glossed over or mentioned more in passing, hence the survey being a bit skewed towards the negative.

Don't be too disapointed if even the next one has negative things on it!

I was quite disappointed with the survey that I got on my boat too, until it was pointed out to me by a friend that the surveyor is LOOKING for bad things, and will point them all out in great detail- whereas good things may well be glossed over or mentioned more in passing, hence the survey being a bit skewed towards the negative.

Don't be too disapointed if even the next one has negative things on it!

A surveyor isn't looking for good or bad things, just the condition of the boat. If they find some area where the boat is deficient in some way then they flag it up as they are duty bound to do so.

If something is good, that is all relative i.e. what I think is good is different to what you think is good.

If something is bad - the boat is rusty, has holes in it etc etc then these are universally thought to be not good and hence they tell you about it.

In some ways I agree that you want to see the odd negative thing on a survey as we all know there is no such thing as a perfect boat!

A surveyor isn't looking for good or bad things, just the condition of the boat. If they find some area where the boat is deficient in some way then they flag it up as they are duty bound to do so.

If something is good, that is all relative i.e. what I think is good is different to what you think is good.

If something is bad - the boat is rusty, has holes in it etc etc then these are universally thought to be not good and hence they tell you about it.

In some ways I agree that you want to see the odd negative thing on a survey as we all know there is no such thing as a perfect boat!

Also the surveyor will summarise and make recommendations; mine even gave a valuation, all of which helped me decide to buy.

If I am paying a surveyor to survey a boat I am thinking of buying (which has only happened once) I want them to find - and emphasise - as many bad things as possible, either to use in negotiating the price, or in the worst case scenario to warn me off buying the boat. It is invaluable to be able to talk to the surveyor informally too, to get them* to explain how serious things are.

*Using non-gender-specific language here, bur ARE there actually any female surveyors? I've never heard of one, that's for sure.

*Using non-gender-specific language here, bur ARE there actually any female surveyors? I've never heard of one, that's for sure.

There are, but they are better at telling you if the curtains match the other furnishings than reporting on hull condition.

Bugger!

I've just remembered I can't run fast with this dodgy pelvis! :lol:

There are, but they are better at telling you if the curtains match the other furnishings than reporting on hull condition.

Bugger!

I've just remembered I can't run fast with this dodgy pelvis! :lol:

Now, you know full well that the only things men do better than women are designing dresses and cooking

Richard

Thank you friends,

I have now read the survey a few more times, and spoken with the broker, they are pricing all the remedial work required and will then debate with the owner, a price reduction, he pays for work, or turns down the sale.

The surveyor did an exellent job. And the opinion seems to be this boat has done very little boating, it seems to have spent most of it's 15 years in a marina being ignored.

So after the initial disappointment I am still hopeful for a satisfactory outcome.

Can I just add, If you are selling a boat I really recommend clearing out your cupboards! It is very offputting to view a boat which has been on the Market for some time only to find stale cornflakes and hairy marmalade peeking out at me.

Duztee.

Thank you friends,

I have now read the survey a few more times, and spoken with the broker, they are pricing all the remedial work required and will then debate with the owner, a price reduction, he pays for work, or turns down the sale.

The surveyor did an exellent job. And the opinion seems to be this boat has done very little boating, it seems to have spent most of it's 15 years in a marina being ignored.

So after the initial disappointment I am still hopeful for a satisfactory outcome.

Can I just add, If you are selling a boat I really recommend clearing out your cupboards! It is very offputting to view a boat which has been on the Market for some time only to find stale cornflakes and hairy marmalade peeking out at me.

Duztee.

I thought hairy marmalade was for bearded boaters?

But fingers crossed for the result you seek, Squire!

Duztee.

Of course the less well presented the more you can get away with a very cheeky low offer :lol:

Fingers crossed for you - if they put everything right and/or you get a muhc lower price, you could be quids in to do more work to it, but still get a boat in good nick.

Let us know how you get on :lol:

The first boat we had the sureveyor do for us failled big time,but he came and did a look round for free on the next boat(the one we have now)before doing a full surevey.

It just shows thay are worth it.