Installation of solid fuel stove

Happy Guy

Featured Posts

Having had Croxton for 18 months now we have discovered the shortcomings of the Eardrum-smasher in this weather.

The boat is 45' long and we have space for a stove, but only at the front by the door, without major furniture rearrangements.

We would want to keep the Ebby as well as have the stove, as the Ebby is sufficient for early Spring / late Autumn.

What make would those in the know recommend please?

Thank you.

That's a pretty good idea!

I'm fairly conversant with what BS 8511 says and how it changed from last year's terrible(!) first draft. I also currently have access to BSOL via Hampshire Libraries splendid website so I can refer to it at any time at home on the PC.

But I don't feel qualified to start this off as I haven't got anywhere near actually doing my stove installation yet. I've done a rough mock up of the installation to test the stove and flue. I've also researched a source of supply for the Super Isol fireboard and vermiculite hearth base that I will be using. However other things are now higher up the priority list and I won't get back to it for many months I expect.

If someone else starts the ball rolling on how they did it I'd be delighted to join in if any queries develop on what the doc actually says.

Richard

Express & Star tonight

In Stourton, near Stourbridge, a wood burner left on to keep a narrowboat on Greensforge Wharf keep warm while its owners were out sparked a severe blaze yesterday morning which totally gutted the craft.

Watch manager Lee Smart, of Kinver Fire Station, said a wood burner caused other combustible materials on the boat to catch fire.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/12/08/big-freeze-keeps-its-grip-on-midlands/#ixzz17XTpxcAa

Does naybody know the boat, or its unfortunate crew?

The 5KW woodburner in my home has in a matter of months 'blown' the plaster off the render and there is a 200mm gap 'tween it and the wall. Also if the furniture is any closer than 600mm, it gets very hot to the touch. No doubt you have thought about the proximity of those wooden steps, the wooden upstanding locker, the tall wooden cupboard, the curtains and the pressurised vessel (fire extinguisher), but for other readers, things such as these need to be considered when planning your stove space and the outputs of your stove.

We have more than one report where a fire has started in a wardrobe linked to its proximity to a solid fuel stove and you only have to read the MAIB's Lindy Lou report to be very cautious about stoves and wooden steps.

I'm pleased too that my hearth extends 300mm infront of the stove as I keep having embers roll or flick out. A few hit the wooden floor beyond, but as I am there loading the fire, I swipe them up before they do any damage.

Certainly in a space thats 88cu.m. capacity, it keeps the room more than toasty with about 9 logs or fewer per day.

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks for the message, as you so rightly put it, yes i will be removing the curtains and the fire extinguisher that is located above where the stove will sit, also the seat which is directly in front of the stove will be turned into a cupbard and the side of this that faces the stove will be boarded out in fire board, as to the proximity of the steps i think what ill do is put them on some sort of a hinge so that they can be hinged into an upright position (i.e. they will be hung from the bottom rung on to the ceiling with the hinges at the top rung)

hope that makes sense, ive seen it done before so ill tackle it next weekend hopefully before the dtove arrives.

thanks for the info

Nik

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are any problems with putting metal sheeting over the fireboard, I really don't get on with tiling and quite fancy the "industrial" look of ally checker plate, or discolouerd stainless. Is it likely to reflect the heat away from the boards or increase the heat going in ? Thanks

I have what must be fireboard behind my stove and it is fronted with a metal frame and a gold coloured mesh. It looks ok but have wanted to paint the metal frame which is red to something more in keeping with the boat. Dare say someone will be able to say what sort of paint that should be, but it will have to wait til the Summer as I couldnt be without my stove for the forseeable snowy future :-)

This is a fascinating section. At least I know if I decide to tile, I have to put fireboard behind it.

Cygnet has (shiny) beaten copper* on three sides of the stove and behind the flue all the way up to the ceiling. It was there when I bought the boat, so I have no idea what's behind, but the copper never gets more than slightly warm even when the stove is going full tilt, whereas the black ash can at the same distance can get quite hot. So yes, the heat must be reflected quite efficiently.

Can I say rather belatedly that the cabin steps in an earlier set of pictures looked rather close to the proposed stove? I once severely singed a set of steps in exactly that position when a stove (not in the present boat) overheated due to a faulty air intake.

Mac

*Edited to say that with the price of copper these days, this is probably the most valuable item on board!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet