Why do so many boaters use "X type" TV aerials, particularly flimsy ones ?

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

We`ve just come back from a trip up the Oxford canal and the Ashby.

As an aerial man I was really surprised at how many boaters have X type aerials and the high proportion of those who have the flimsiest types of X type aerials on the market. In fact I think it`s one of the great unsolved mysteries of the world !

Why ?

Well X type aerials take up so much space and even the best of them are a bit weak where the X type directors attach to the boom.

But those flimsy Bacofoil type aerials are so weak I wouldn`t even recommend them for outside installs on houses, never mind on a boat or caravan where they have to be taken down/put up every other day.

What`s the explanation (other then the fact more outlets sell them) ?

Edited by Justin Smith

As an aerial man I was really surprised at how many boaters have X type aerials and the high proportion of those who have the flimsiest types of X type aerials on the market. In fact I think it`s one of the great unsolved mysteries of the world !

We have one of them things up in the attic, and even there it likes to fall apart at the slightest touch, highly unsuitable aerial for any purpose really!!! :lol:

The only reason why people buy them is cos they see the extra bits and think "OOH!! That must be a really sensitive aerial, I must have it!!!", but in reality, they're about as good as sticking your finger into the aerial socket on your TV.... :lol:

Why ?

Well X type aerials take up so much space and even the best of them are a bit weak where the X type directors attach to the boom.

But those flimsy Bacofoil type aerials are so weak I wouldn`t even recommend them for outside installs on houses, never mind on a boat or caravan where they have to be taken down/put up every other day.

Well as you can see our last hire boat had the very latest in aerial technological design....

IMG_0095-1.jpg

And I think it would have been better if it had been made of plastic or wood rather the copper......

Appreciate the info. though on an appropriate aerial for boating though.

Well as you can see our last hire boat had the very latest in aerial technological design....

IMG_0095-1.jpg

hehe, my Philips VHS combi TV had one of them loop aerials, it struggled to pick up Pendle Forest, and that's only a few miles away... :lol:

Snippity>>

Is it because they are at the cheaper end of the market?

May sound a daft question but what is an 'x' type aeriel. We are at Stretham south of Ely and have no signal problems in the area which we should have problems according to the link

Edited by Dawnie

So Justin, what aerial do you recommend for eg a narrowboat installation can you give a specific example of what type of aerial you would buy, and how you would have it fitted..ie length of aerial mast & fixings you would use, its position on the boat etc. etc

One possible explanation to the original question Justin asked is that people see them on boats and caravans in abundance and buy them because as lots of people already have them then they must be good!

May sound a daft question but what is an 'x' type aeriel. We are at Stretham south of Ely and have no signal problems in the area which we should have problems according to the link

An X beam is an aerial whose directors are Xs instead of flat elements, it explains it all on the link.

Basically it`s the equivalent of having two directors side by side which helps to limit the length of the aerial and I`d be the first to admit that`s a good thing for a touring aerial, but not at the expense of build quality. Furthermore if you remove the reflectors to make the aerial smaller to store the X`s still take up a lot of room, unlike flat elements

Reception is all about where exactly you are, signal strength varies hugely depending on, say, whether you happen to have a tree in the way.

As it happens when we were moored up at Stretham we did get a pretty good signal and that`s what`s reported on the link.

One possible explanation to the original question Justin asked is that people see them on boats and caravans in abundance and buy them because as lots of people already have them then they must be good!

Very good point, but equally they must see quite a lot of them falling apart !

So Justin, what aerial do you recommend for eg a narrowboat installation can you give a specific example of what type of aerial you would buy, and how you would have it fitted..ie length of aerial mast & fixings you would use, its position on the boat etc. etc

I`d recommend a Log Periodic aerial for the best compromise between compactness and performance, because generally those are mutually exclusive !

Of the Logs I have found that the DM Log Periodic is the most robust and easily mendable when it does get bent, which all touring aerials do, so that`s why we stock it. Logs with alloy rod type elements seem a good idea but I found that when some got bent on mine they broke off when I straightened them.

My DM Log got bashed up when it was on the boat`s roof and we were forced to go under an overhanging tree...... I`m sure we`ve all been there !

The best mounting is high up, so I mount mine on a board (with a little straight loft kit) and when we move off in the morning I simply unbolt the short pole and remove it complete with the aerial. All this info (c/w pictures) is on my link below.

Edited by Justin Smith

I'm not sure how much time you have spent on the forum, but experience has shown that when people come on with general comments about something, but then end up trying to sell us something, that it is not always well received.

Are you trying to sell us a service ?

The fact that you have a link to (presumably) your professional site in your signature might suggest that you are ?

I'm not sure how much time you have spent on the forum, but experience has shown that when people come on with general comments about something, but then end up trying to sell us something, that it is not always well received.

The fact that you have a link to (presumably) your professional site in your signature might suggest that you are ?

Maybe but he does give some useful information :lol:

Yup, I'd risk spending £25 with him for the one he recommends for boating, which for the record timetraveller and in answer to your question is

This one

Edited by MJG

Yup, I'd risk spending £25 with him for the one he recommends for boating.

Possibly, but I would still personally prefer it if everybody who signed up to the forum stuck to the published rules and guidelines.

Links to commercial and personal websites are welcome to be placed in the Links Directory, under the relevant section. A link to 1 (one) personal (non commercial) website is allowed in your signature. The site crew reserve the right to remove any link or other contents deemed to be unsuitable.

EDITED: For typo.

Edited by alan_fincher

Possibly, but I would still personally prefer it if everybody who signed up to the forum stuck to the published rules and guidelines.

As we know there is often ample liberal interpretation of the R&G's on here,

it's a mods call and if they ain't happy let them take action.

Meanwhile just let me bookmark his site.

Edited by MJG

My website is 90% information and 10% sales, even Wikipedia links to it, what more can I say ?

Anyway, truth be told, I`m more interested in getting the jokes read !

Actually, if you want to have a good laugh at some of the bodged (and so-called "profesional") aerial installations, you should have a look here!!!:

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/roguesgallery/

It never ceases to make me laugh and cringe at the same time... :lol:

Thats an hour of my life i'll never get back then...

Many thanks MJG -and yes I see on the website his recommendation eg

"The DM Log periodic is the correct aerial for those in strong signal areas for any transmitter. This is also the aerial we recommend for caravans and boats".

BUT by nature Boats are not always in 'strong signal areas' - so these makes me wonder why this particular aerial is 'the right choice' ? looking at the test curve data it has a rather flat gain as opposed to the aerial with a slightly better gain eg the Log 40, which surely would help to bring in the weaker signals; so I still find this choice of aerial confusing and would welcome clarification.

Many thanks MJG -and yes I see on the website his recommendation eg

"The DM Log periodic is the correct aerial for those in strong signal areas for any transmitter. This is also the aerial we recommend for caravans and boats".

BUT by nature Boats are not always in 'strong signal areas' - so these makes me wonder why this particular aerial is 'the right choice' ? looking at the test curve data it has a rather flat gain as opposed to the aerial with a slightly better gain eg the Log 40, which surely would help to bring in the weaker signals; so I still find this choice of aerial confusing and would welcome clarification.

The explanation is that the other higher gain aerials are bigger ! That means more wind loading and more storage space required for them.

I honestly can`t work out where boaters keep X beam type aerials when they`re travelling because room is at such a premium on every boat we`ve been on, and we usually hire a bigger boat, i.e. a 4 berth for 2.

You`re correct that the Log40 has a bit of extra gain over a DM Log, set against that it`s a bit bigger/longer (boat pole installs are never going to be particularly strong), it has no tilting clamp, and, most importantly, is not as fixable when it gets bent, as it will inevitably be. When I accidentally bent some of the elements on a Log40 half of them broke off when I straightened them.....

Edited by Justin Smith

I always use an X type aerial because it is hopeless at getting a signal and it gives me an excuse to turn of the TV and get the kids to do something less vegetative!

The gain on an X type aerial is reasonable, when it`s all there !

I agree with the watching too much TV thing, my parents used to limit how much TV I watched as a kid, though I can`t see many parents doing that now. Kids are usually regarded as the important ones these days, not adults........

Ironically my mum watches far more TV than I do now, so every time we`re down there I take the Mick mercilessly, particularly as I suffer from RGS*.

Having said all that there are certain programmes even I want to watch, is there anyone who thinks Harry Hill`s TV Burp isn`t bleedin` funny ? ! ? That guy is a comedy genius, and I liked him when he was still unkown !

* Repetitive Joke Syndrome

Having said all that there are certain programmes even I want to watch, is there anyone who thinks Harry Hill`s TV Burp isn`t bleedin` funny ? ! ? That guy is a comedy genius, and I liked him when he was still unkown !

Yup, he's a character indeedy, and he can write you a prescription too cos he's a certified GP... :lol:

But then, laughter is the best medicine... :lol: