Otters to be "rehomed" - and cormorants shot!

Featured Posts

yes they are wasteful - they only eat part of the fish - the belly not the head.

I rarely eat fish heads..or tails.

I don't see the relevance here.

Cormorants eat the lot so are they better than otters?

My son never eats the crusts of his sandwiches.

I've even heard that cows only eat the blades of grass. They never touch the roots.

Does that mean you have to cull him :lol:

No I'm just going to remove him from his natural habitat until the sandwich population has had a chance to recover.

My younger son eats all of his sandwiches so he will be culled.

No I'm just going to remove him from his natural habitat until the sandwich population has had a chance to recover.

My younger son eats all of his sandwiches so he will be culled.

I hope they dont read this :lol:

Just my opinion of course, I sure i'm allowed one, not once did I mention I wanted to kill otters to protect my hobby, I think you'll find that was Carl suggested that, all I said was that cormorants are a pest and could be culled by shooting (there are already licences available I think but its quite a long winded process i'm led to believe, that process should be made easier or removed totally), and Otters, if they can't be re-located (they have a patrol range of a fair few miles so that's not easy) then businesses who rely on fish production should be allowed to protect their stock/livelyhood. In fish production, to a certain extent, you can protect your stock by sneaky design introduced into your stews protection. but once released into stock ponds its far less easy to protect your stock.

Alot of these businesses we set up long before the Otters were reintroduced to the wild. I have seen first hand, on many occasions, the waste that Otters feeding on a rich food source cause, It's not just the one fish they take and eat, that loss would be acceptable, but they may kill 5-10 in a night and just eat the heads and leave the rest to rot. Such a waste.

Perhaps an Otter compensation fund could be designed so fisheries and Otters could live side by side?

Paul

Sounds the same as fox hunting to me.

Sue

• 4 weeks later...

Cormorant licenses are quite rare, and hard to get hold of. There's a lake at work (a very big lake) that used to be a great fishing lake but is now almost empty. There are no otters on it, but there are certainly cormorants and they not only eaten lots of fish but destroyed some of the islands in the lake by roosting in such great numbers that their guano has killed the trees, which have either fallen or been felled and the small islands fall apart because the tree roots are no longer there to support them.

Shame.

..... destroyed some of the islands in the lake by roosting in such great numbers that their guano has killed the trees, which have either fallen or been felled and the small islands fall apart because the tree roots are no longer there to support them.

They provide a valuable source of income, for the indigenous population, who row out, in their dug out canoes. harvest the guano then sell it.

Cormorant licenses are quite rare, and hard to get hold of.

BW should do something about that. We can't have lots of unlicensed cormorants on the canals. They should set up a web-page where we can report them!

Or else

They provide a valuable source of income, for the indigenous population, who row out, in their dug out canoes. harvest the guano then sell it.

They could send out crews in the maintenance boats to help solve the funding problems.

They could send out crews in the maintenance boats to help solve the funding problems.

I don't think guano collecting is economic.

The local ducks who congregate on my boat are producing enough to depress the world guano market.

I think they must be eating All-Bran, Curry and cod liver oil.

EDIT

Inspection of the photo of Chinese bagged guano on the post by Josher (above)

confirms my suspicions that ducks are the worst offenders.

As usual the Chinese ducks are putting other producers out of the maket with their low price dumping...........

Edited by andywatson

Not in Yorkshire they don't!