Buying and Selling a Boat

JonL

Featured Posts

After a year of lurking around in the background of this Forum reading everything I can (I love the engine problem posts) I’m thinking very seriously about entering into boating ownership.

From all my reading I’m armed with a mountain of information like find a mooring first, get your own survey, make sure your deposit will be returned if the survey is rubbish, BSC, never raise the subject cassette or pump out etc etc.

I plan to go in small at first, an older GRP, somewhere in the £5,000 to £7,000 range, just to make sure that this desire is genuine and not a mid-life crisis!

So to my question – how easy are boats to sell? Do the normal rules in life apply i.e. anything sells if the price is right. I don't want to get lumbered with a boat I can't sell.

It strikes me that at any given time there are hundreds of boats to choose from that in total probably represent a good percentage of all boats that exist, so therefore is it always a buyer’s market and do I run the risk of having a boat that I can’t sell?

Would I be better off spending more to start with so I have a boat to sell of some substance in say a couple of years time ( assuming I maintain it correctly ) ?

Any tips about buying a boat that will make it easier to sell?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to go in small at first, an older GRP, somewhere in the £5,000 to £7,000 range, just to make sure that this desire is genuine and not a mid-life crisis!

If you're not sure that boating is what you really want to do I would buy at the bottom end. I was in a similar position so last year I bought a 22' two berth river cruiser that was in sound condition and had been refurbed in the cabin (I'm crap at DIY!) for £3,500. I figured that if I didn't take to it, even getting rid at a loss wouldn't be bit hit on my pocked.

I have loved every minute and at the end of last season I replaced the hood (£1,800) and this season I have put a brand new 25HP outboard (£2,300) on her.

So now I have a boat with new hood and engine for an outlay of £7,600. If I had spent that much in the first place I doubt I would have ended up with a boat that had a new canopy and engine fitted.

Just what I did, no doubt there will be other views as to how to proceed as well.

Happy hunting!!

Jez

Small GRP boats invariably hold their value quite well. You could buy one have it a couple of years and sell it for pretty much what you bought it for. They are a cheap way of getting afloat, cheap to maintain and cheap to run.

Depending on where you intend to keep her, cruiser moorings are generally quite easy to find.

We wouldnt dream of swapping Cal just yet. The plus point is you will always find a mooring wherever you go and you can turn around anywhere.

Buying at the right price always helps too :lol:

A friend bought a tatty 22ft Norman that wouldn't start for £3k last year. The owner said "I think the engine's knackered!". Once he emptied the water out of the fuel tank and carburettor on the outboard he was away. The engine's been totally sound and after spending a few hundred quid on paint and bits and bobs he's now the proud owner of a very tidy little cruiser. He should be able to sell it for 4k easily any time he wants.

Tony