Winding at Oxford

Nene Queen

Featured Posts

I am planning a cruise from Welton Hythe down to Oxford, and back, in May. Having looked at "Nicholson's Guide" and compared details with Google Earth I am slightly confused about where to wind for the return trip.

It looks to me that there is no chance of winding along the canal (for a 55ft boat) unless I pass down through Isis lock...........will I be able to wind just below that lock? Nicholsons say the canal continues south from there but only to visitors moorings....can I wind there? Come to that where is it possible to moor overnight in Oxford...is it safe there along the towpath.

The other alternative is I suppose to drop down onto the Thames, head north and return to the Oxford canal via Dukes Cut...but that will cost a Thames day ticket !!!!..not cheap.

If you do not want to go right into Oxford, you can wind on the junction with Duke's Cut. There is a winding hole just above Isis Lock but it's limited to 45' (or did I read somewhere that it has been extended) and it's a tight 45'. If you go right in you will need to drop down Isis Lock to wind - just make sure that the river is not in the red or you could be swept down and under a very low bridge.

I was last in Oxford about 4 years ago - the moorings above Isis Lock are safe enough. The towpath is well used by cyclists and walkers. It's an easy walk into Oxford for shops, pubs, restaurants and entertainment. The only draw back is Oxford Railway station - just across the Thames - and the noise from stationary engines.

Just drop down Isis lock.

You can turn as soon as you clear the gates. Best to turn hard to starboard into whatever stream there is at the time. You can then use this stream to help you manoeuvre to go back up the lock!

I've think I've made it sound complicated, but if you look at the layout below the lock before you go down, it all becomes clear.

Plenty of water and loads of room.

Enjoy your trip.

Nipper

I was down there last year - and took the decision to drop down through Isis lock, and then cruise the few miles up the Thames, to rejoin the Oxford via Duke's Cut.

Am so glad I did it - - what a beautiful few miles!

I agree this section of the thames is fantastic well worth a trip. EA use to do a day licence for not much money which you bought off the lock keeper. i dont know if this is still the case?also if you did want to turn below isis lock this section is off the main thames section known as sheep wash channel! which is fairly secluded. i worked in oxford on the thames and canal for two years and hardly ever seen EA out in there patrol boats. :lol:

I am planning a cruise from Welton Hythe down to Oxford, and back, in May. Having looked at "Nicholson's Guide" and compared details with Google Earth I am slightly confused about where to wind for the return trip.

It looks to me that there is no chance of winding along the canal (for a 55ft boat) unless I pass down through Isis lock...........will I be able to wind just below that lock? Nicholsons say the canal continues south from there but only to visitors moorings....can I wind there? Come to that where is it possible to moor overnight in Oxford...is it safe there along the towpath.

The other alternative is I suppose to drop down onto the Thames, head north and return to the Oxford canal via Dukes Cut...but that will cost a Thames day ticket !!!!..not cheap.

If I were you I wind at Cropredy, have a nice meal in the Brasenose Arms or Red Lion and head back to Welton Hythe. Who knows what dreadful fate befalls those who venture further south? Certainly very few return to describe the horrors of the southern Oxford but we have all heard the rumours . . .

Edited for spelling . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

If I were you I wind at Cropredy, have a nice meal in the Brasenose Arms or Red Lion and head back to Welton Hythe. Who knows what dreadful fate befalls those who venture further south? Certainly very few return to describe the horrors of the southern Oxford but we have all heard the rumours . . .

Edited for spelling . . .

I see your boat managed to escape oxford

Just drop down Isis lock.

You can turn as soon as you clear the gates. Best to turn hard to starboard into whatever stream there is at the time. You can then use this stream to help you manoeuvre to go back up the lock!

I've think I've made it sound complicated, but if you look at the layout below the lock before you go down, it all becomes clear.

Plenty of water and loads of room.

Enjoy your trip.

Nipper

We turned Tawny Owl there last year. I set out to the left intending to do a sort of three point turn. In practice, the slight current and stronger wind took the bow across to the right and I ended up doing an elegant turn to the right, a gentle reverse and then a nice turn into the lock. Superb. Sometimes when things go wrong, they can go much better than you set out to achieve.

Richard

We were even being watched by a hire boat crew awaiting instruction at the lock.

Winding below Isis Lock is easy peasy, even with the river on Reds.

Come out of the lock (leaving the bottom gate open), tiller hard over to the starboard side, bow (gently) into the left bank. Swing the stern round - the current in the Mill Stream will help you - and straight back into the lock.

So seen from above, you turn anti-clockwise.

Happy to help

Winding below Isis Lock is easy peasy, even with the river on Reds.

Come out of the lock (leaving the bottom gate open), tiller hard over to the starboard side, bow (gently) into the left bank. Swing the stern round - the current in the Mill Stream will help you - and straight back into the lock.

So seen from above, you turn anti-clockwise.

Happy to help

Thanks, that sounds easy....time will tell!