cupboards and shelves

Featured Posts

Just goes to show .... Not to my taste at all

To much wood - to much varnish - to much fancy

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Alex

Each to their own

I have been on a boat where there was loads of roses and castles and fake graining i dont like it but i would not pass a negative comment as i dont have to live on it

And i would love that many cupboards

Each to their own

I have been on a boat where there was loads of roses and castles and fake graining i dont like it but i would not pass a negative comment as i dont have to live on it

And i would love that many cupboards

Yes, as I said, I do things that satisy myself and I don't worry about what others think. They don't live on my boat.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, as I said, I do things that satisy myself and I don't worry about what others think. They don't live on my boat.

I hope my cupboards and shelves turn out as nice.but if not as long as i like them thats all that matters . Did you fit the whole boat yourself

I hope my cupboards and shelves turn out as nice.but if not as long as i like them thats all that matters . Did you fit the whole boat yourself

No, the boat was already lined and I just did the rest. To be honest I don't really like faced ply very much. It looks ok on a narrowboat but I've got two 8 x 4 sheets across the ceiling and it's too much. I'm thinking of going over it with T&G.

Edited by blackrose

No, the boat was already lined and I just did the rest. To be honest I don't really like faced ply very much. It looks ok on a narrowboat but I've got two 8 x 4 sheets across the ceiling and it's too much. I'm thinking of going over it with T&G.

The linning out is the easy bit, unless you have fitted a boat out from scratch I dont think people realise how hard it is and to do it so it looks well done is an achivement in its self. And from the photos iit looks pretty good to me.Doesnt t&g make the ceiling look lower

Bread board ends will not disguise the use of edgeing which was the point of my question...

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

A solid, edge-jointed board with a breadboard end (regardless of any arguments about the efficacy of same) will look absolutely no different to a veneered board with the same end.

Tony

Doesnt t&g make the ceiling look lower

mine is 'redwood' (selected pine ?? ) T&G painted white silk emulsion. It lifts the ceiling. Not sure if I should leave the rustic knot-holes or should fill them.

The linning out is the easy bit, unless you have fitted a boat out from scratch I dont think people realise how hard it is and to do it so it looks well done is an achivement in its self. And from the photos iit looks pretty good to me.Doesnt t&g make the ceiling look lower

Yes it would, but my ceiling is pretty high (and I'm a bit short), so losing half an inch of headroom wouldn't bother me.

Edited by blackrose

mine is 'redwood' (selected pine ?? ) T&G painted white silk emulsion. It lifts the ceiling. Not sure if I should leave the rustic knot-holes or should fill them.

I would like a white ceiling

but the way my hubby smokes it would be nicotine brown in weeks :lol:

My reference was to wotevers comments not mdf, I doubt you have any experience you sound a little amateurish , sorry thats just my opinion.

Quite an interesting thread I thought, then suddenly it descends into a personal slur on Robkg

As it happens I am a friend of Robkg so whilst he appears to not want to put you straight, I am more than happy to.

These testimonials are the ones I know of, there may be more.

Ref. His first fit out of Alice:

"A highly proficient fit out"

Andy Burnett

Ref. Waterways World Nov. 2008 Article on Grace

"truly outstanding boat"

"fitted out to an exceptionally high standard"

"very high standard of workmanship"

"The middle cabin is probably the most amazing use of space I have seen on a modern boat"

"a fantastic cruising boat"

Mark Langley

IWA National Waterways Festival 2008

Judges comments included "a boat that any professional fitter should try to look at for ideas" and "full of innovative ideas"

Waterways World Trophy:- Best amateur fit out - Winner

Marion Monk Rose Bowl:- Best private narrow beam craft - Winner

So soldthehouse, prehaps you should try to be a little better informed before you voice your opinions on other forum users competence.

So soldthehouse, prehaps you should try to be a little better informed before you voice your opinions on other forum users competence.

Thanks US Marines.

I'm used to seeing personal comments being made on this forum, it is only a matter of time before they are made about each of us.

As far as edging on oak faced MDF is concerned, I have one or two examples on Grace but no photos. We are on the boat next week however so I will

take some pics and post them.

Rob

Edited by robkg

Quite an interesting thread I thought, then suddenly it descends into a personal slur on Robkg

As it happens I am a friend of Robkg so whilst he appears to not want to put you straight, I am more than happy to.

These testimonials are the ones I know of, there may be more.

Ref. His first fit out of Alice:

"A highly proficient fit out"

Andy Burnett

Ref. Waterways World Nov. 2008 Article on Grace

"truly outstanding boat"

"fitted out to an exceptionally high standard"

"very high standard of workmanship"

"The middle cabin is probably the most amazing use of space I have seen on a modern boat"

"a fantastic cruising boat"

Mark Langley

IWA National Waterways Festival 2008

Judges comments included "a boat that any professional fitter should try to look at for ideas" and "full of innovative ideas"

Waterways World Trophy:- Best amateur fit out - Winner

Marion Monk Rose Bowl:- Best private narrow beam craft - Winner

You've really built this up - I'm expecting to see something truly spectacular from Rob's pictures. :lol: