Bugsworth Basin.

John Orentas

Featured Posts

Bugsworth Basin is just off the Upper Peak Forest canal near Whaley Bridge. The basin complex has been the focus of a restoration project for over 30 years, it opened to boats after the best part of a century a few years ago, only to be closed again because of leakage.

One and a half million pounds has been spent on major works over the last couple of years, including concreting the beds of the main basins and leak-proofing the bank walls.

I was perhaps lucky yesterday to find that the stop planks had been removed and the entrance canal dredged. I was able to cruise in and more near the Navigation Pub. The official opening will be on the 28th March (Easter Monday) but if you cruise down there before that day you may find the complex open to boats, though I was told unofficially that the stop planks were to be put back in place today.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

Great, Thanks for that information, I am hoping to make a visit there this summer and possibly visit some old haunts. I used to live in Buxton (25 years ago) and know the area quite well. Do you know if there any 14 day moorings in the area within reasonable walking distance of the railway Station?

Hi David.

There is no shortage of moorings, there are plenty of moorings on the towpath side near to Whaley Basin, 10 mins from the station, they have the reputation of being secure as they are shared with semi permanent moorers in the summer. If you would rather be in a marina, let me know closer to the time and I could probably get you fixed you up for a few weeks close by.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

The last time we went to Whaley Bridge which was last summer most of the moorings were taken up by licenced boats on private BW moorings. Many boats were turning away due to lack of space, in the end one of the liveaboards pointed us in the direction of a recently vacated private mooring and we were OK there for a couple of days. A few years ago when Bugsworth reopened for a little while we stayed in there for a few days, there was loads of room, in fact we were the only boat there on the last day.

Hi Bernie.

The situation in Whaley is very changable, but it is rare to find it as you have described. A lot of people including many continuous cruisers like to stay in the area for a couple of weeks because of it's good security and communications.

I don't no yet what BW's plans are for Bugsworth basin when it permanently opens, there is space for a few hundred boats in there so it would be surprising if they did not allow a lot of 14 day moorings in the complex, which is only a 15 minute walk from Whaley Bridge.

The area does atttact a lot of unofficial and often unlicensed livaboards, I think BW will be anxious to keep them out as the whole site is an on-going restoration project.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

We prefer towpath to marina moorings so will have to turn up and hope, If it is full we will have to moor a little bit away and wait for someone to leave. Fortunately being retired I do not have that many commitments that require me to go home on any particular day. I may contact BW nearer the time to find out the excact situation.

• 6 years later...

We prefer towpath to marina moorings so will have to turn up and hope, If it is full we will have to moor a little bit away and wait for someone to leave. Fortunately being retired I do not have that many commitments that require me to go home on any particular day. I may contact BW nearer the time to find out the excact situation.

Another random old thread resurected for no reason.

Then why do it? :unsure:

[sigh] you can spot the part timers... ;)

This isn't a forum, this is a soap opera, which achieves its ultimate denouement in the unStable Bar

A new poster responded to a couple of fossilised threads, and a game began, "who can resurrect the oldest thread"

Those of us sad enough to live on here saw it coming... notice I said us, which includes me