Beds

Featured Posts

Have beds got shorter recently?

I recently bought a new mattress for the boat, it measured 4' x 6'3"in, and there's a 3" gap at the end because the base is 6'6" long. The old mattress, which I threw away, was 4' x 6'6".

After Pingu had told me exactly what she thought of someone who was stupid enough to buy a mattress that was too short, I looked on various websites (Argos, Silentnight, John Lewis, etc) and it seems that only Kingsize and Queensize mattresses are 6'6" long. Ordinary doubles are all only 6'3" long - and yet the mattress we have at home which was bought as an ordinary double a few years ago, measures 4'6" x 6'6".

When did they suddenly become 3" shorter?

Edited by Keeping Up

We've just bought a new bed, and were warned by John Lewis' that the mattress would look short on the base at first, because they spread over time, so maybe your old mattress has spread?

We've just bought a new bed, and were warned by John Lewis' that the mattress would look short on the base at first, because they spread over time, so maybe your old mattress has spread?

Funny you should say that - - for SWMBO and I were having a similar conversation but the other week . .

And she's of the opinion that the four years, the mattress has resolutely remained the same size - it's yours truly that has spread, apparently.

However - I think the person at John Lewis may be well-meaning in re-assuring you of the (short) length of your mattress - but a well-made mattress will, at most, only 'expand' but a very few millimetres during its 20 year life.

If they expand more than that - it's not the quality you thought you bought (from Jonelle)

Have beds got shorter recently?

I recently bought a new mattress for the boat, it measured 4' x 6'3"in, and there's a 3" gap at the end because the base is 6'6" long. The old mattress, which I threw away, was 4' x 6'6".

After Pingu had told me exactly what she thought of someone who was stupid enough to buy a mattress that was too short, I looked on various websites (Argos, Silentnight, John Lewis, etc) and it seems that only Kingsize and Queensize mattresses are 6'6" long. Ordinary doubles are all only 6'3" long - and yet the mattress we have at home which was bought as an ordinary double a few years ago, measures 4'6" x 6'6".

When did they suddenly become 3" shorter?

my matress has shrunk too...as have my jeans and shirts. :lol:

I think the traditional length of a basic 4' mattress has always been 6' 3", (although in my experience most are now quoted in near equivalent metric sizes).

I think a 6' 6" long mattress that was only 4' wide would always have been the exception, rather than the rule.

Funny you should say that - - for SWMBO and I were having a similar conversation but the other week . .

And she's of the opinion that the four years, the mattress has resolutely remained the same size - it's yours truly that has spread, apparently.

However - I think the person at John Lewis may be well-meaning in re-assuring you of the (short) length of your mattress - but a well-made mattress will, at most, only 'expand' but a very few millimetres during its 20 year life.

If they expand more than that - it's not the quality you thought you bought (from Jonelle)

I accept the argument about width, but I'm sure no-one "spreads" lengthwise!!

And my new bed is lovely, thank you. I don't care whether it expands lengthwise, widthwise or neither, it's sheer bliss........

I like a slightly short mattress, somewhere for your toes to dangle when sleeping on your stomach :lol:

LOL! 'Tis strange - I thought that I was the only one who likes sleeping on their tum. The bed on land has a staggered railed foot board, and if I align my feet into the correct spacings, I can slide my feet through and luxuriate! The NB's bed does have a 6'6" bed length, but a small gap at the bottom - 25-50mm (1-2"), again, I can wriggle my toes into the gap and once again luxuriate.

Bliss!

Rob

LOL! 'Tis strange - I thought that I was the only one who likes sleeping on their tum. The bed on land has a staggered railed foot board, and if I align my feet into the correct spacings, I can slide my feet through and luxuriate! The NB's bed does have a 6'6" bed length, but a small gap at the bottom - 25-50mm (1-2"), again, I can wriggle my toes into the gap and once again luxuriate.

Bliss!

Rob

Does this mean you are over 6ft 6ins tall? Or do you just have very thin feet?