burscough facilities l&l

gaggle

Featured Posts

So, if you're 70ft the only place to empty your elsan is Red Lion?

I thought they'd re-instated the services at Rufford Top; obviously I was deluded.

I decided cassette after seeing the lack of pumpout facilities up there. These days I think a shovel and the corner of Paul Martland's field would be the best option :lol:

bw have not mentioned litherland facilities as an alternative , maybe because they will have to open bridges for boats so far easier for them to send boats up locks to wigan or down the rufford locks.

if boats start booking to go through to liverpool to use litherland facilities bw may move somewhat quicker with temporary replacement.

So, if you're 70ft the only place to empty your elsan is Red Lion?

I thought they'd re-instated the services at Rufford Top; obviously I was deluded.

I decided cassette after seeing the lack of pumpout facilities up there. These days I think a shovel and the corner of Paul Martland's field would be the best option :lol:

Unless he eventually gets planning permission for a marina :lol:

Unless he eventually gets planning permission for a marina :lol:

Folk in the know tell me he's facing an uphill struggle, which strikes me as a shame as he was more inspired by boaters and their suggestions than Hitler's Wharf; maybe that what comes of drinking in the Ship. OTOH he wasn't listening when he was planning that incinerator! :lol:

FTS I don't know the folk at St Mary's who, by all accounts are luvverly.

Folk in the know tell me he's facing an uphill struggle, which strikes me as a shame as he was more inspired by boaters and their suggestions than Hitler's Wharf; maybe that what comes of drinking in the Ship. OTOH he wasn't listening when he was planning that incinerator! :lol:

FTS I don't know the folk at St Mary's who, by all accounts are luvverly.

I think the incinerator thing was perhaps his undoing on that front. I firmly believe Paul would have created an excellent marina, as he seems a very good business man, and is pleasant to deal with in my experience. Still his skip company is doing extremely well so he will be OK.

Our boat is going into drydock at St Mary's very soon, and yes they seem really nice people. I have heard some stories about Hitler's though. Don't think their new marina is full? Wonder if the sunken visiting boat is still in the middle :lol:

I think the incinerator thing was perhaps his undoing on that front. I firmly believe Paul would have created an excellent marina, as he seems a very good business man, and is pleasant to deal with in my experience. Still his skip company is doing extremely well so he will be OK.

Our boat is going into drydock at St Mary's very soon, and yes they seem really nice people. I have heard some stories about Hitler's though. Don't think their new marina is full? Wonder if the sunken visiting boat is still in the middle :lol:

Knowing Mr Hitler he'll try selling it as a tourist attraction :lol:

I often used to moor next door to a certain omnibus style NB... Oh the tales I could tell, however they'd breach forum guidelines so I'll keep schtum.

I never got on with Paul when I was living up there; too much of a hippy for him to swallow, but I could understand why people respected him and believed, as you say, that he'd've provided boaters exactly what they told him was needed, while undercutting the competition, just because he didn't like them! :lol:

I heard it said that he'd conceded he was a bit too bullish to run it and was looking for someone more moderate to manage it for him; I can well imagine Paul giving someone a peace of his mind. "Pleasant to deal with" maybe but after a few Holstens it was a different picture if you had the temerity to disagree with him...

Most of my friends on that patch were displeased when his application was refused and I got the impression a few of the Burscough locals were considering moving from St Mary's to support him. Shame he was late to the party.

Knowing Mr Hitler he'll try selling it as a tourist attraction :lol:

I often used to moor next door to a certain omnibus style NB... Oh the tales I could tell, however they'd breach forum guidelines so I'll keep schtum.

I never got on with Paul when I was living up there; too much of a hippy for him to swallow, but I could understand why people respected him and believed, as you say, that he'd've provided boaters exactly what they told him was needed, while undercutting the competition, just because he didn't like them! :lol:

I heard it said that he'd conceded he was a bit too bullish to run it and was looking for someone more moderate to manage it for him; I can well imagine Paul giving someone a peace of his mind. "Pleasant to deal with" maybe but after a few Holstens it was a different picture if you had the temerity to disagree with him...

Most of my friends on that patch were displeased when his application was refused and I got the impression a few of the Burscough locals were considering moving from St Mary's to support him. Shame he was late to the party.

That goes for most of them Burscough lot :lol: The running battles we had when we were younger :lol: I jest of course, I married a Burscough lass.

The facilities at Rufford top lock were the cleanest I ever used, the shower round the back was the warmest, most welcome shower ever many times after a Ribble Link cruise, It was a big loss when they were closed and I still don't understand why they were or why they cant be reopened.

The facilities at Burscough Bridge were never that good, not have as clean, but it'll be a shame we are to loose another traditional canal building to the developers. Let's hope we get a nice replacement facility with a good shower.

The facilities at Burscough Bridge were never that good, not have as clean, but it'll be a shame we are to loose another traditional canal building to the developers. Let's hope we get a nice replacement facility with a good shower.

The on-line planning search facility for the local District Council is out of action as shown by an undated notice. So no idea when it went "off line" and absolutely no indication of when it will be restored. Has anybody seen the application for this site?

The facilities at Rufford top lock were the cleanest I ever used, the shower round the back was the warmest, most welcome shower ever many times after a Ribble Link cruise, It was a big loss when they were closed and I still don't understand why they were or why they cant be reopened.

I agree that they were good facilities, and well maintained. IIRC the problem was one of maintenance cost as a septic tank was inolved.

I agree that they were good facilities, and well maintained. IIRC the problem was one of maintenance cost as a septic tank was inolved.

In the late 70's, early 80's I kept my NB at Burscough, Steered the "Slipway" disco barge on Friday and Saturday nights and the resturant barge (moored next to B Bridge) on Wednesdays.

I guess it's all changed.. Happy days..

The on-line planning search facility for the local District Council is out of action as shown by an undated notice. So no idea when it went "off line" and absolutely no indication of when it will be restored. Has anybody seen the application for this site?

The search does not work on Firefox and is not easy to use in any case.

I did eventually find the plans here. Click on "View Plans and Documents".

I have written something about the loss of the stables here:

http://waterwaynews.blogspot.com/2010/03/m...tage-to-go.html

Thanks to Mike for the use of a couple of his photos.

While everyone is concerned about the temporary loss of the boaters' facilities, the heritage is slipping out of the back door.

In the late 70's, early 80's I kept my NB at Burscough, Steered the "Slipway" disco barge on Friday and Saturday nights and the resturant barge (moored next to B Bridge) on Wednesdays.

I guess it's all changed.. Happy days..

That takes me back. There used to be numerous such barges. There are a couple of charity ones still about, but most of the old trip barges such as Juno have gone. Mostly posh narrowboats now :lol:

That takes me back. There used to be numerous such barges. There are a couple of charity ones still about, but most of the old trip barges such as Juno have gone. Mostly posh narrowboats now :lol:

My boat Vulcan, was there for a good few years, couple of hundred meters down stream of B'bridge, as a live aboard and short of money, working the barges, it was a good income, plus, I got food!! and at Friday-Saturday night, bloody good fun.. I got P1%$ed..!!

Good Old Days.

My boat Vulcan, was there for a good few years, couple of hundred meters down stream of B'bridge, as a live aboard and short of money, working the barges, it was a good income, plus, I got food!! and at Friday-Saturday night, bloody good fun.. I got P1%$ed..!!

Good Old Days.

I may remember Vulcan, the name rings a bell. Did you ever take her to Parbold? Any pics? I do remember a very elderly couple who lived at Burscough Bridge on a barge in about '71.

I do remember a very elderly couple who lived at Burscough Bridge on a barge in about '71.

That would probably have been Oswald ? who lived on Stork. His wife died round about then. I got his single cylinder Gardner working again for him in 1975. He used to have a boat on the Lancaster and reckoned his was the last boat to use Tewitfield Locks.

That would probably have been Oswald ? who lived on Stork. His wife died round about then. I got his single cylinder Gardner working again for him in 1975. He used to have a boat on the Lancaster and reckoned his was the last boat to use Tewitfield Locks.

Stork it was I believe. I do remember his wife was poorly at the time, although I was unaware of her death. Unfortunately we upset him during the early hours once, when we were bow hauling a broken down boat back to Lathom. We didn't realise he lived on the boat (less usual then) and we awoke him when getting the ropes over his boat. He didn't half go off on one. He was fine after we explained and apologised though.

I also started Stork's engine, though I understood it to be a single bolinder semi diesel, after the managed to prime the crankcase, fire up the blow lamp, she started second kick, there was a peg sprung loaded into the fly wheel and you kicked the engine over...direct drive, no gearbox, magic..sounded wonderful.

I tried to buy the boat, shortly after Mr Plant? moved to sheltered accommodation in Southport, but it went elsewhere.....

Catweasel. I have some photos of Vulcan in the dry dock at the top of the Rufford arm, the residents arounf the dock complained that I was making too much noise and dust. What did they expect, they buy a house next to a dry dock ?!!. BWB threatened to float me off if I continued to annoy the residents.. I guess the dry grit blasting of the lower hull did for them!!, certainly did for their white painted houses... Yep.. Happy Days..

Latest email from bw states that elsan facility at Rufford top lock is open for use , must be temporary measure while burscough bridge facilities are rebuilt , i have not passed the place to check it is open and am going on the bw email info only.

Latest email from bw states that elsan facility at Rufford top lock is open for use , must be temporary measure while burscough bridge facilities are rebuilt , i have not passed the place to check it is open and am going on the bw email info only.

I hope they leave it open, I wonder if the shower is once again in use there, it was always a belter.