Isuzu IM4LC33 engine

DobieJade

Featured Posts

Hi, does anyone know anything about this engine please? Does the 33 mean its only 33hp???? Sorry for my ignorance, I am new to all this.

Hi

Probably. The new model seems to be a 35Hp of 1499cc 4 cylinder

Alex

Hi, does anyone know anything about this engine please? Does the 33 mean its only 33hp???? Sorry for my ignorance, I am new to all this.

Why do you say 'only' 33bhp? How big is the boat?

Tony

Hi DobieJade

I think you are confusing two different engines (probably difficult to read the label on the engine?)

IM 4LB33 / Isuzu 35 (4LB1 engine) a four cylinder 1499cc engine producing about 33 - 35 hp

IM 4LC38 / Isuzu 42 (4LC1 engine) a four cylinder 1731cc engine producing about 38 - 42 hp

The numbers within the model designation (for these engines) happens to be the approx hp

Horse power can be determined by many standards, and you can guess which the marketing people prefer :lol:

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Hi DobieJade

I think you are confusing two different engines (probably difficult to read the label on the engine?)

IM 4LB33 / Isuzu 35 (4LB1 engine) a four cylinder 1499cc engine producing about 33 - 35 hp

IM 4LC38 / Isuzu 42 (4LC1 engine) a four cylinder 1731cc engine producing about 38 - 42 hp

The numbers within the model designation (for these engines) happens to be the approx hp

Horse power can be determined by many standards, and you can guess which the marketing people prefer :lol:

Steve

The original Isuzu marine engine designations were their gross rating in bhp at 2600 r/min, considered to be a "sensible" max speed for IW. However due to their engines appearing less powerful than the competition, the designations were revised to reflect the max output at 3000 r/min, which is the max rated speed for the Isuzu l series engines.....hence Isuzu 33/35, 38/42 & 48/55.

Hope this helps.

As others have explained, the 33 indicates the approximate power output - which should be sufficient for many a narrowboat - - unless yours is extraordinarily heavy - or are you planning on river-life?