Boating Etiquette 2

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

The most peculiar case of being overtaken that I have experienced happened last year between Napton & Braunston. I was approaching 3 moored boats when I spotted a narrowboat behind us and closing. Each of the boats had a gap between them so the mooring probably occupied about 7 or 8 boat lengths.

OK, I think, I'll just get past these and pull over and let him go. So I drop my speed to go past the moored boats. As I pass the first one, SWMBO says 'they aren't slowing down'. I take a look and they are indeed coming on at a pace. Short of pulling in & mooring between the boats, there isn't much I can do. He obviously knows we've seen him, so I think that he'll obviously wait until I pass the third boat.

By the time I reach the third boat, his bow is right behind us and SWMBO is getting agitated. 'I'll pull in the moment I'm past' I reassure her. I look back again and realise that the boat is now putting power on & steering for the gap between us and the moored boat. He powers past in a huge wash that has the moored boat crashing about and me fighting the tiller to keep control.

On the stern stand two middle aged guys who airily wave and call out 'Thank You'. And as always happens on these occasions I watch them power off down the cut with my mouth open and only think what I should have said after they are out of sight.

I didn't have you down as a trouble maker!

EDITED TO ADD:

Presumably you have even more scope for confusing people with a motorised butty, but with a hydraulic transmission ?

Too true. A motorised butty like mine with the motor in the elum goes backwards as easily as it goes forwards. I've steered like this on occasions when there was no suitable winding hole – and once – just for the fun of it – along the Tring summit. Yes, I did get some odd looks and it certainly caused one bemused hire boat to pull over and let me pass!

It also rather confused people when the motor broke down once and had to be towed by the butty :lol:.

It also rather confused people when the motor broke down once and had to be towed by the butty :lol:.

I was long lining Lucy once, past some moored boats (the long straight bit, near Barby) and someone poked their head out, waved and said hello.

A few seconds later Swmbo was told to slow down and received a torrent of abuse, from the same person.

The strange thing is the motor moved quite a lot of water, even at tickover, but the butty produced barely a ripple.

I was long lining Lucy once, past some moored boats (the long straight bit, near Barby) and someone poked their head out, waved and said hello.

A few seconds later Swmbo was told to slow down and received a torrent of abuse, from the same person.

The strange thing is the motor moved quite a lot of water, even at tickover, but the butty produced barely a ripple.

Could this have been because their boat was disturbed by the motor's wake, but by the time they'd noticed it was the butty that was passing? Similar to a game I played at University where we would sit within the bay window of a friend's house in opposite corners of the room. As a passerby walked past, you would wait until they had left your field of vision, but not your "opponent"s. Then you would shout "Oh, Hello!" or "I like your jumper", thus causing discomfiture to your peer as they turned and glared at them. Hey ho, the afternoons used to fly by...

So what do folk think I was unlucky to come across 2 idiots?

In the case of the guy telling you to eff off. Unfortunately the canal - like anywhere - has it's fair share of rude, arrogant, self rigtheous, loudmouth jerks, and it can be intimidating.

There is no need to shout 'Fcuk off!' in an aggressive manner to someone for no real reason, it's just plain thuggish. Obviously the guy wanted to give you some shit for no reason, your method of increasing your speed because of the stronger wind is totally right. Experienced boaters here will verify that.

Sorry to say that you do get this type of personality on the cut, they are few and far between but they are social retards. It's a shame.

Edited by kitman