satellite internet

MAIZEE

Featured Posts

THanks to eveyone gor the replies.... have another problem though, he plays onplay station 3 and i have tried to connect to my present o2 dongle with no success...havn't a clue really but if i get a 3 dongle how do i get the ps3 to find it when i search..sorry if this is a thick question...Lois

THanks to eveyone gor the replies.... have another problem though, he plays onplay station 3 and i have tried to connect to my present o2 dongle with no success...havn't a clue really but if i get a 3 dongle how do i get the ps3 to find it when i search..sorry if this is a thick question...Lois

Forget it ..after trying to connect a Xbox 360 via dongle I decided that self imposed brain surgery was far easier

Chris

My son was a little older (14) when I went to live in a caravan full time. He set up a HB9CV aerial and used Packet Radio to talk around the world with a FT290R radio (2 meter band) and an Amiga computer. He loved it for a few years then let licence lapse re-married and went to live on a narrow boat.

But there are loads of ways he can communicate without broad band. Both my son and I did very well with a 1200 baud rate as long as we did not try hi tech HTML!

Take a look at 3's MiFi, it's a 3G non-dongle. You don't connect it to your laptop via USB, rather it converts the 3G signal to WiFi, it'll be much easier to connect a PS3 or any other device... plus you can use it at the same time as him (till he moans you're slowing it down).

Take a look at 3's MiFi, it's a 3G non-dongle. You don't connect it to your laptop via USB, rather it converts the 3G signal to WiFi, it'll be much easier to connect a PS3 or any other device... plus you can use it at the same time as him (till he moans you're slowing it down).

Gosh Piglet, can't believe you said that, I came accross it the other day and gamers are using it so i have ordered the MIFI with 3 months usage "3gig a month on PAYG" to try it out as i didn't want to get stuck with a long contract incase it was useless. We have had our house phone disconnected today ready for the move so theres no gaming here until the MIFI turns up.....

Thanks for the suggestion...will post when i have tried it out....Lois

Gosh Piglet, can't believe you said that, I came accross it the other day and gamers are using it so i have ordered the MIFI with 3 months usage "3gig a month on PAYG" to try it out as i didn't want to get stuck with a long contract incase it was useless. We have had our house phone disconnected today ready for the move so theres no gaming here until the MIFI turns up.....

Thanks for the suggestion...will post when i have tried it out....Lois

I'll be very interested indeed to hear how you get on with this!

I'm moving onto a boat in the summer and have been known to spend the odd rainy evening playing online games!

hi everyone, well the MIFI arrived, tiny thing like a mobile phone....set up was simple and we were up and running online gaming within 5 mins.....just as fast as home broadband according to my son....We also connected to it at the same time on 2 more laptops.......di notice though that the MIFI gadget needt to stay close to the playstation as i picked it up and walked to the other room and the connection was lost..

Checked the usage after 2 1/2 hrs and it was about 60mb . not too good on this side of things but i know that if we wanted 4hrs gaming a day...heavy use really... i would need 5-6 gigs 5 gigs cost 17pounds, no pound sign on my laptop!! 7 gigs 25 pounds..

We were out yesterday and he was on for 8 hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!! going to check usage later and will get back to you then..

I bought the MIFI with 3gig for 3months @ 69.99 on pay as you go so that i wasn't stuck in a 2yr contract..

To summerise it's going great but havn't been in the middle of nowhere yet thats not bothering me though as long as we can get it most of the time although it is suppose to pick up a wifi signal anywhere.. hope this helps .

Lois

Lois

Sorry but are you sure what you have bought, as far as I can see is you have a 'dongle' that will connect via the mobile phone network, as they all do, and enables you to connect more than one device, by Wi-Fi to that.

So the only gain is that more than one person/device can be connected to the internet at one time.

The costs etc. will be the same, the vagaries of the system will be the same.

Willing to be proved wrong.

To summerise it's going great but havn't been in the middle of nowhere yet thats not bothering me though as long as we can get it most of the time although it is suppose to pick up a wifi signal anywhere.. hope this helps

Presume you mean 3G signal anywhere and not Wifi..

Lois

Sorry but are you sure what you have bought, as far as I can see is you have a 'dongle' that will connect via the mobile phone network, as they all do, and enables you to connect more than one device, by Wi-Fi to that.

So the only gain is that more than one person/device can be connected to the internet at one time.

The costs etc. will be the same, the vagaries of the system will be the same.

Willing to be proved wrong.

Hi it isn't a dongle and it doesn't connect to the laptop, its a modem, no dongle can let you play call of duty type of gameplay online believe me i have tried. to bealbe to just connect and play is perfect.. Not sure this answers the querie i'm not that technical. Lois

Presume you mean 3G signal anywhere and not Wifi..

MIFI

MY ATTEMPT AT POSTING A LINK. SORRY IF IT DOESN'T WORK. SEARCH MIFI ON GOOGLE...

Edited by MAIZEE

I'm thinking of getting one of those Huawei MIFI units on "3" as it lets your iPod touch surf the internet using a mobile signal, using the VERY local wi-fi link.

I get the impression that "3" coverage isn't that fantastic on the cut.

Lois,

sorry but from this page: http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Mi...lus_iPod_bundle

This offer include an ipod but go down the page to where it says 'easy', it says :"Turn on the modem, switch on the connection to 3 network......"

For modem, insert dongle.

Wi-Fi Whenever You Want, Music Wherever You Go

Now you can have Mobile Broadband with Wi-Fi and you won't even have to hunt for a hotspot. Our wireless modem works with anything that's Wi-Fi enabled, like a laptop or iPod touch. It's small enough to fit in your pocket, so your Wi-Fi can go wherever you go.

My bold.

I suspect that in the 'modem' there is a sim card exactly the same as the one in a dongle or mobile phone.

Edited by bottle

Hi it isn't a dongle and it doesn't connect to the laptop, its a modem, no dongle can let you play call of duty type of gameplay online believe me i have tried. to bealbe to just connect and play is perfect.. Not sure this answers the querie i'm not that technical. Lois

The USB "dongle's" as know, are 3G modems, the MiFi is a 3G modem with built in Wifi, they will be no speed difference between the two. In fact the latest "dongle's" can be quicker in certain areas if you get the 7+mb versions.

Edited by Robbo

The USB "dongle's" as know, are 3G modems, the MiFi is a 3G modem with built in Wifi, they will be no speed difference between the two. In fact the latest "dongle's" can be quicker in certain areas if you get the 7+mb versions.

Can someone explain why the playstation doesn't find my O2 dongle when we search and why on forums everyone says you cant play online gaming through a dongle as the time lapse won't allow it but but on the MIFI wireless modem it can be cos i am now confused....also am i right in thinking that as it is a modem picking up wifi from somewhere in the sky when on the canal i don't need hotspots, thats got to be good surely....

Edited by MAIZEE

Can someone explain why the playstation doesn't find my O2 dongle when we search and why on forums everyone says you cant play online gaming through a dongle as the time lapse won't allow it but but on the MIFI wireless modem it can be cos i am now confused....also am i right in thinking that as it is a modem picking up wifi from somewhere in the sky when on the canal i don't need hotspots, thats got to be good surely....

The O2 dongle (a 3G modem) doesn't have a way of connecting to the playstation unless you use another device (like using Internet Sharing on a Windows PC).

The MiFi is a basically a WiFi router with a 3G modem built in, the playstation connects to this using the Wifi, but it (it as in the MiFi device) still connects to the Internet via 3G (the same way as the O2 dongle). The time lapse will be the same via either device as the 3G bit is the slowest bit of the connection to the Internet.

Edited by Robbo

I'm thinking of getting one of those Huawei MIFI units on "3" as it lets your iPod touch surf the internet using a mobile signal, using the VERY local wi-fi link.

I get the impression that "3" coverage isn't that fantastic on the cut.

There's no coverage on parts of the Caledonian canal, specifically the middle of Loch Lochy and Loch Ness. Does that help?

Richard

No, the only Wi-Fi you have is your connection from the modem to the computer and Playstaion, your modem does not get any Wi-Fi from the sky it gets a 3G signal from the nearest phone mast.

The only difference with a dongle and your modem is the name and it will allow Wi-Fi equipment (computer, Playstation etc) to connect via it to the internet.

No, the only Wi-Fi you have is your connection from the modem to the computer and Playstaion, your modem does not get any Wi-Fi from the sky it gets a 3G signal from the nearest phone mast.

The only difference with a dongle and your modem is the name and it will allow Wi-Fi equipment (computer, Playstation etc) to connect via it to the internet.

See I havn't got a clue really but it's doing what i need it to do without me having to think too much...It's been an interesting post to follow.

OAKFIELD....HAVE I JUST BEEN READING YOUR BLOG?

As long as you are happy with it, there is not a problem, 'we' just wanted to ensure you knew what it would and would not do. :lol:

As for reading the blog, you need to get a life. :lol: :lol:

See I havn't got a clue really but it's doing what i need it to do without me having to think too much...It's been an interesting post to follow.

The tech industry have a way of naming things that are not non-tech user friendly!

The Register sums up the MiFi in simple terms though... It's a small, battery powered gizmo that converts one wireless network protocol (3G) to another even less efficient protocol (WiFi).

I have fitted one of these MIFI devices in the cratch of the boat. So far I've been very impressed.

The main purpose was to give me wi-fi through the forward end of the boat and so I could use my iTouch on board.

Bit tricky to set up maybe, but once it had credit on its PAYG SIM, has performed well.