Boat Builders

Featured Posts

Surely no mistake, I meant THE Albion, you lot don't boing

Don't BOING??? Could you explain, please?

Yes, Brighton & Hove are known as THE Albion, and quite rightly so.

Actually Phil, both Mike and Steve Gatting played for the Albion; Mike later showed that he knew how to hold a bat, and a pie.

The Northwich hire boat isn't that great. For a start the counter's all wrong. The bow just looks like a standard clonecraft (love that term by the way).

With regards to the elite list, there is one builder on there who goes to great pains to add fake rivets to his washer joshers, which are of a dis-similar material to the hull, a consequence of this is galvanic corrosion in the areas adjacent to the fake rivet seams. In addition, they use 5mm plates to form the bow, which on a 12 year old boat I know of, were found to be pitted to 2.5mm. The people buying didn't survey and parted with £82,000 for that. Really really not worth it, and really really not elite at all. Just cos it looks fancy or 'authentic' doesn't make it elite.

Just my opinions of course.

Interesting comment to make, I take it that behind this masquerade you have the professional qualifications to substantiate this statement, or is this just another "urban legend"

I for one would like to see the proof

and indeed who "you" really are to make such a statement

Chris

Edited by Baldock

Interesting comment to make, I take it that behind this masquerade you have the professional qualifications to substantiate this statement, or is this just another "urban legend"

I for one would like to see the proof

and indeed who "you" really are to make such a statement

Chris

I know nothing of the case referred to, but 'washer rivets' on and around the waterline can be a pain when they age.

I had one boat to deal with last year,a real FMC hull, where someone had welded washers on top of real rivets, many of them below the water line :lol::lol: . I can only imagine that it was intended to improve the cosmetics to try to fool a potential buyer who was ignorant that real Joshers have flush rivets (maybe the yard was ignorant of that!), it certainly did nothing structurally and because of the way they had corroded I ended up grinding them all off and having to cap weld or ring weld well over 100 rivets which, if left alone, would probably have been OK for another 20 or 30 years.

Tim

The Northwich hire boat isn't that great. For a start the counter's all wrong. The bow just looks like a standard clonecraft (love that term by the way).

With regards to the elite list, there is one builder on there who goes to great pains to add fake rivets to his washer joshers, which are of a dis-similar material to the hull, a consequence of this is galvanic corrosion in the areas adjacent to the fake rivet seams. In addition, they use 5mm plates to form the bow, which on a 12 year old boat I know of, were found to be pitted to 2.5mm. The people buying didn't survey and parted with £82,000 for that. Really really not worth it, and really really not elite at all. Just cos it looks fancy or 'authentic' doesn't make it elite.

Just my opinions of course.

As for being a junior member and not knowing the differance between a 'clonecraft' fore end and a good remake of a Northwich fore end, my case rests.

• 3 weeks later...
Those boys at XRandD have done it again. "Magic in Metal", they are close to becoming THE premier fabricator of narrow boats in the land..

Pound for Pound, Scroll for Scroll, Rivet for Rivet. As good as it's gets.

Just my opinion.

I think the pictures at the bottom of this page are worth close examination.

http://www.brinklowboatservices.com/stella/

Click on the photos to enlarge them for serious study!

I am not a customer of and have no commercial connection with Brinklow.

Edited by andywatson

• 11 months later...

I picked up a snippet today and this thread seems to be as good a place as any for it:

Dave Harris starts his next boat (more about this later) on 31st March and he will be on this for about a year.

The boat planned for the following slot may be "slipped" so he might have a build slot available starting March 2012.

Worth considering if you are in the market for a bit of class.............

Edited by andywatson

Roger Fuller, the universal answer although he get reinstated as the grumpiest of the lot. Keith on the other hand can't get in on the basis that he was seen to smile a couple of weeks ago and he will smile again next week when the Great Helmsman pays him. This begs a wider question - Why are all superstar metal bashers so grumpy? my business partner was just the same, wouldn't speak for weeks when in a mood.

Doug Moore was a total grump by all accounts.

If he were still building he would have my vote.

In the meantime, I go dewy eyed at a Fuller

I picked up a snippet today and this thread seems to be as good a place as any for it:

Dave Harris starts his next boat (more about this later) on 31st March and he will be on this for about a year.

The boat planned for the following slot may be "slipped" so he might have a build slot available starting March 2012.

Worth considering if you are in the market for a bit of class.............

We were at Dadford Shed at the weekend and were looking at the tug he is building - awesome!