Buying an inexpensive liveaboard

Maeve

Featured Posts

I don't know why but the assertion that liveaboards don't like taking showers has made me feel quite grumpy and annoyed. If you wish to start living on a boat for very little and on the cheap you'll need help, lots of help, so don't make sweeping statements that are either inaccurate and/or offensive.

Okay, nice hat on now ...

The advice I was given ages ago still holds true - define 10 things you would like, refine that to the six things you need, then start looking. Even in these straitened times £14-17k won't buy you a floating palace but with some clever thinking it should find you something. It's even possible that someone might come with you and offer advice when you're viewing.

Do you have a mooring? I got the impression that you were planning to moor in the London area which will be pricey if possible.

Don't discount Springers ever, they were honest boats and some have been lovingly looked after and maintained. There is nothing wrong with a boat that has been overplated or re-bottomed, but you must, must get a survey in all cases although I would go with just a hull and engine survey as the interior will be tired at this price and with some experienced help you'll be able to work it out for yourself. Another make to consider would be Harborough Marine or a Sivewright Owl if you're stumped for length. It might be worth contacting Dominic Miles who posts here - he's a broker and whilst he might not have anything on his books at your price he might know of other boats around that will suit. Nice bloke, very helpful in my experience! Finally, as Laurie says, Bojo isn't bad at the price; ignore prices on Appalling Duck they're frequently out of date. And finally, a GRP might be the way to go but you'd need to bring it up to liveaboard standards; you know, calorifier, shower, stove etc!

Good luck.....

And finally, a GRP might be the way to go but you'd need to bring it up to liveaboard standards; you know, calorifier, shower, stove etc!

<COUGH>

I dont know what you envisage the inside of a GRP boat to be, or indeed what you believe wont be installed that a liveaboard may need. All of the boats i picked out had calorifiers, showers, etc. The only bone of contention may be the diesel blown air heating that most GRP liveaboard boats have installed. This is an easy way to heat a boat without causing condensation problems however isnt to everyones tase. It is however feasible to fit solid fule stoves to GRP hulls with a little work.

Many people live very happily on their GRP craft and it is certainly the route that we will be taking in a few years time (although i dont think a solid fuel stove will be an option on one of these!!)

In defence of the no shower assumption, I can see where you are coming from. If i was to own a small day boat say 30ft then I would not waste space with a shower either. Several of the boats I looked at were too small and did not have a shower, or the toliet sat in a shower tray.

Tim

In defence of the no shower assumption, I can see where you are coming from. If i was to own a small day boat say 30ft then I would not waste space with a shower either. Several of the boats I looked at were too small and did not have a shower, or the toliet sat in a shower tray.

Tim

Thats some "day boat" at 30ft. Ours is only 25ft and manages to fit in a shower, toilet, galley, bedroom, saloon and still have room left over for a cockpit.

Stop thinking narrowboat layouts, cruisers find ways of using every inch of space which would be otherwise wasted. A 30ft cruiser will have far more accomodation on offer than a 30ft narrowboat.

Many people live very happily on their GRP craft and it is certainly the route that we will be taking in a few years time (although i dont think a solid fuel stove will be an option on one of these!!)

I feel confident that posting details of plastic boats presumably priced well into 6 figures is going to add greatly to OP's knowledge when it comes to wanting to purchase a narrow boat with a maximum budget of £17K. If I'm ever looking to move house, please feel free to post pictures of various stately homes. :lol:

:lol:

Anyway it strikes me at least with a "sewer tube", whilst not to everybody's taste, they don't have to get a whole lot uglier as you build them longer.

I really can't believe quite how horrible that offering looks! :lol:

I feel confident that posting details of plastic boats presumably priced well into 6 figures is going to add greatly to OP's knowledge when it comes to wanting to purchase a narrow boat with a maximum budget of £17K. If I'm ever looking to move house, please feel free to post pictures of various stately homes. :lol:

:lol:

Anyway it strikes me at least with a "sewer tube", whilst not to everybody's taste, they don't have to get a whole lot uglier as you build them longer.

I really can't believe quite how horrible that offering looks! :lol:

I have offered my sensible liveaboard within budget boats earlier.

Time to remind myself what im working towards in the next few years, it does look better in the flesh but it aint all about looks when it will be your home for the forseeable future. After all my current home wasnt bought for its looks.

<COUGH>

I dont know what you envisage the inside of a GRP boat to be, or indeed what you believe wont be installed that a liveaboard may need. All of the boats i picked out had calorifiers, showers, etc. The only bone of contention may be the diesel blown air heating that most GRP liveaboard boats have installed. This is an easy way to heat a boat without causing condensation problems however isnt to everyones tase. It is however feasible to fit solid fule stoves to GRP hulls with a little work.

My Dawncraft didn't and never did my friend's Norman. Please bear in mind the OP's budget when offering suggestions.

My Dawncraft didn't and never did my friend's Norman. Please bear in mind the OP's budget when offering suggestions.

I already have done. The most expensive of the boats i suggested was 22k which with the right bartering could be bought for within budget.

Just because your dawncraft and your firends norman didnt have showers nor hot water it doesnt mean every GRP boat avaliable doesnt. Without a doubt the ex hire craft i suggested have all got, hot water, showers, heating etc, as would be expected by hirers in the last decade or so. Times change.

I think 14-17k is a fine amount of money to buy a small narrowboat. Sure it'll be older but if you can find one that is structurally sound you can revamp a tired/old interior fairly easily.

Just make sure you've got a contingency fund to hand if the bottom starts to fall off/engine dies etc etc.

Some of the grp craft look pretty good value for the space you get, but I don't really know enough about those.

I think 14-17k is a fine amount of money to buy a small narrowboat. Sure it'll be older but if you can find one that is structurally sound you can revamp a tired/old interior fairly easily.

Just make sure you've got a contingency fund to hand if the bottom starts to fall off/engine dies etc etc.

Some of the grp craft look pretty good value for the space you get, but I don't really know enough about those.

Why limit yourself to small?

I quite like the look of the 42ftx12ft offering at Richardsons yard for the money. Plenty of space, plenty of scope for liveaboard use.

Really?

I mean do you really mean that?

It's a 3 year old boat for 20k. It could be crap, but it's worth a look imo.

Which may be why its time to think outside the tin box.

Shame you failed to read the rest of my post then.

Edited by deletedaccount

Each to their own :lol:

Which bit

Could you be any more obtuse?

The bit which read:

This looks like a better deal tbh:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=133942

Edited by deletedaccount

The bit which read:

Read it.

The boat you have highlighted there even if gotten for the right sort of money doesnt leave much in the kitty for maintenance. It would need a thorough survey as well to confirm the standards of the work carried out thus far.

Edited by Phylis

Yes, that 42 foot Springer is worth a look; it's been advertised for some time which means either a) it has some serious problem, :lol: it's overpriced or c) both of these. If :lol:, then it's interesting and presumably the price will be negociable.

Maeve, you may have noticed 'Remus' newly advertised on eBay: 40 footer with BMC 2.2 engine, says the heading. Now, if this is the one I think it is, it's a GM (quite reputable old make) but be warned. This is at least the third time that the seller has advertised it for sale in the last six months. The first time it sold, but obviously the seller didn't accept the price, as he put it back on eBay at a much higher price. I guess no one bought it, so here it is again. It could be a good sound boat (and has a bit of style too) but is the chap ever going to sell it?

EDIT: well, would you adam-and-eve it? I just had a look at boats on eBay and, lo! and behold, that very same 42 foot Springer has been put on there for sale this very morning - at two grand less than the asking price on AD! DEFINITELY worth a look now, I'd say.

Edited by Athy

This is a bit small at 30' but looks like a nice boat. it's also less thank 14k:

http://www.bluewatermarina.co.uk/sales/ste...h-ann/index.htm

And this at 18k looks good:

http://www.bluewatermarina.co.uk/sales/ste.../eros/index.htm

Be more tempted by a quick 6k offer on this one

The bit which read:

A completely refitted and replated 42' liveaboard, for £18000 asking price? There has to be a snag somewhere. As ever, don't commit without a thourough survey... :lol: .

The OP didn't say (I think) if there is a specific area where the boat should be, or if they are willing to travel all over the country. Whilst all the links to the Duck etc are helpfull, so far there have been three (or so) posters who have seen Bojo up close, and recommended it (subject to all the usual disclaimers etc etc I have no links etc etc... :lol: ). Like I said, I liked Bojo when I looked around on her, and measured her up for my specific plans. If I would not have found a better suited boat, I would have made an offer.