Caldon Canal

chris bowden

Featured Posts

I am planning a mid week break for three (wife and father in Law plus me!) April 19th. Hopeing to explore the Caldon Canal with a start point at Stoke, and at a reasonable price. Have viewed most of the main hire companies but hoping to widen the choice. Has anyone recommendations or perhaps know of smaller more obscure boat hirers.

Chris Bowden

We did the Caldon in 2008 and absolutely loved it. I reckon your best bet would be to give Karen at Canal Cruising at Stone a call.

Ensure you stop off for a night a Consall Forge, it is truly wonderful

(I thought the breach was only on the Leek Branch?)

We did the Caldon in 2008 and absolutely loved it. I reckon your best bet would be to give Karen at Canal Cruising at Stone a call.

We includd the Caldon when we did the Four Counties Ring in 2008. Unfortunately for us the River Churnet was in flood so we were unable to get to Froghall.

Lovely canal and well worth the visit.

We used the Canal Cruising Company at Stone and they were very reasonable in price.

See here:

http://www.canalcruising.co.uk/index.php

Stewey

I heard about the breach in waterways magazine but thought it said it would be OK by end March.

Thanks for the sugestions I will bear that it mind however I did a bit of research and found the cruising time was 49 lock miles 24 locks / 25 miles /3 = 16.3 hours, according to one of the boat hirers at Stone, 28 hours should be allowed. This might be a bit of a rush in 3 and half days. Not sure if I,ve done my sums right but if so the only practical base would be Stoke.

Thought it was closed due to a breach.....

The whole of the main Caldon will be open in April, the Leek Brach/Arm will remain closed from the TUNNEL, where you can turn around, the work has not started on the breach yet

Try Black Price Boats they may give you a good deal being early (holiday) season

I am planning a mid week break for three (wife and father in Law plus me!) April 19th. Hopeing to explore the Caldon Canal with a start point at Stoke, and at a reasonable price. Have viewed most of the main hire companies but hoping to widen the choice. Has anyone recommendations or perhaps know of smaller more obscure boat hirers.

Chris Bowden

We flew over from the U.S. and did the Caldon in 2009 and would highly recommend the folks at Black Prince Narrowboats. We picked our boat up at Etruria and they were very helpful for boating novices. Here's a link to my blog post about our trip:

Yanks On the Cut: Our Week on an English Narrowboat

Going for just a few days Black Prince is the best bet as you get much more time beyond Engine lock - where the Caldon leaves the town and heads for the hills. If you had a week go from Stone. Some of their smaller boats are cheaper than Black Prince but a week on one might cost more than a midweek break from BP.

Taking that mid-week break from Stone might be cheaper but, heading for the Caldon you would spend most of it just going to/form Engine lock and miss out on the enjoyment of taking your time over the rest of the Caldon. In season it has Watermill and a working steam railway which you can take a trip on. Best shopping near the Canal is at Endon where there are moorings by the road bridge - shop along the road.

Going for just a few days Black Prince is the best bet as you get much more time beyond Engine lock - where the Caldon leaves the town and heads for the hills. If you had a week go from Stone. Some of their smaller boats are cheaper than Black Prince but a week on one might cost more than a midweek break from BP.

Taking that mid-week break from Stone might be cheaper but, heading for the Caldon you would spend most of it just going to/form Engine lock and miss out on the enjoyment of taking your time over the rest of the Caldon. In season it has Watermill and a working steam railway which you can take a trip on. Best shopping near the Canal is at Endon where there are moorings by the road bridge - shop along the road.

I agree with Tiny, but if Chris wishes to widen the choice, Heritage at Kent Green (on the Macclesfield Canal) might be worth considering. This is a minimum of 2¾ hours cruising time from Etruria junction. I say minimum because this assumes no waiting time at Harecastle Tunnel and you could be unlucky with your timings!

Phil

I agree with Tiny, but if Chris wishes to widen the choice, Heritage at Kent Green (on the Macclesfield Canal) might be worth considering. This is a minimum of 2¾ hours cruising time from Etruria junction. I say minimum because this assumes no waiting time at Harecastle Tunnel and you could be unlucky with your timings!

Phil

A big thank you to all who have contributed suggestions about my proposed trip up the Caldon Canal. Most recently to Phil who has suggested a further option which I will come back to.

So far I have decided the dates will be between the 19 and 24 April.

I have whittled the options down to 3.

1) 5 days from STONE on Agnes or FRANCES 19 hours cruising each way £511 plus fuel.

2) 4 days from Eturia on Duchess 2 11 hours cruising each way £593 plus fuel.

3 5 days from Eturia on Trent or Duches 4 11 cruising each way £675 plus fuel.

Phil has now suggested a further option from Kent Green with an optimistic cruising time of 2 3/4 hors to Eturia. (The best timings I can calculate are 4 hours cruising each way) but this is half the time needed for the Stone to Eturia section, so I am going to make some further enquiries,

Thanks to all

Chris Bowden

A big thank you to all who have contributed suggestions about my proposed trip up the Caldon Canal. Most recently to Phil who has suggested a further option which I will come back to.

So far I have decided the dates will be between the 19 and 24 April.

I have whittled the options down to 3.

1) 5 days from STONE on Agnes or FRANCES 19 hours cruising each way £511 plus fuel.

2) 4 days from Eturia on Duchess 2 11 hours cruising each way £593 plus fuel.

3 5 days from Eturia on Trent or Duches 4 11 cruising each way £675 plus fuel.

Phil has now suggested a further option from Kent Green with an optimistic cruising time of 2 3/4 hors to Eturia. (The best timings I can calculate are 4 hours cruising each way) but this is half the time needed for the Stone to Eturia section, so I am going to make some further enquiries,

Thanks to all

Chris Bowden

Further to my last post earlier today: I read Phils suggestion of Heritage Boats at Kent Green and followed this up. Cruising times from here to Froghall are realistic for a Four day trip so checked avaiability for my dates. Cam up with Mon 26/ April tp Fri 30 April Ramsdell boat 49ft. plenty of room for 3 plus dog beds to make up (nothings perfect except the price) £439 all in. Post an enquiry./reservation. They got back to me in minits by phonea and ITS BOOKED!

Thank to Phil and everyone else for your help.

Chris Bowden

Went up the Caldon last year,we could see the potential but we found it very overgrown and short of some t.l.c. from B.W. If you're a 4ft pigmy with a 4ft wide boat enjoy! Beware of the blowpipes poking out of the bushes.

John b :lol::lol:

Further to my last post earlier today: I read Phils suggestion of Heritage Boats at Kent Green and followed this up. Cruising times from here to Froghall are realistic for a Four day trip so checked avaiability for my dates. Cam up with Mon 26/ April tp Fri 30 April Ramsdell boat 49ft. plenty of room for 3 plus dog beds to make up (nothings perfect except the price) £439 all in. Post an enquiry./reservation. They got back to me in minits by phonea and ITS BOOKED!

Thank to Phil and everyone else for your help.

Chris Bowden

Hi Chris

Well done - I am sure you will have a great time.

Here are a few additional points you will need to bear in mind as timings might be critical with a short midweek hire:

1. Check the tunnel opening times, I'm not sure whether your dates are within winter or summer opening times.

2. Check your time of leaving Heritage and time when the boat is due back at the end of the hire.

Cruising times to Etruria are approx:

Heritage - Harecastle north - 1 hour 10 mins

passage through Harecastle - 45 mins

Harecastle south to Etruria - 1 hour

This assumes that you will be able to go straight into the tunnel in a convoy.

If you arrive just after a convoy has left ahead of you, add 1 hour 45 minutes maximum waiting time to the journey.

I am sure you should have plenty of time on your first day to get through Harecastle, but if Heritage want

the boat back by 10:00 am on your last day you may have to go through the tunnel on the previous afternoon.

I hope that helps.

Feel free to ask or send me a PM if you need any more info.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Chris Bowden

If you do visit The Caldon, don't forget to go to 'The Coachmakers' at Hanley. Moor by bridge 8 and it's about 5-10 mins walk to Hanley - near the bus station. The pub is under threat of demolition. See their website: The Coachmakers Arms, Hanley

• 2 weeks later...
If you do visit The Caldon, don't forget to go to 'The Coachmakers' at Hanley. Moor by bridge 8 and it's about 5-10 mins walk to Hanley - near the bus station. The pub is under threat of demolition. See their website: The Coachmakers Arms, Hanley

Thanks for the info about the coachmakers, I will give it a try. Are they having a closing down sale?

chris bowden

• 4 weeks later...

Chris Bowden

Following on from usefull advise received from members of this group, we are starting our trip from Heritage Boats on Monday. Early start so this message may be a little late.

Got my Nicholsons guide handy but previous experience teaches me no longer to expect the marked pubs to be still in buisness.

Any recommedations for good watering holes and feeding stations (particularly DOG friendly places) would be welcome. Monday to Friday this coming week up the Caldon Canal..weathers looking good.

regards Chris Bowden

Following on from usefull advise received from members of this group, we are starting our trip from Heritage Boats on Monday. Early start so this message may be a little late.

Got my Nicholsons guide handy but previous experience teaches me no longer to expect the marked pubs to be still in buisness.

Any recommedations for good watering holes and feeding stations (particularly DOG friendly places) would be welcome. Monday to Friday this coming week up the Caldon Canal..weathers looking good.

regards Chris Bowden

The Black Lion at Consall Forge is rightly praised for its location with the steam railway running in front of it and rural setting. Not as isolated as it once was - judging by the number of noisy trippers there when we called by on a sunny weekend last summer but still a 'must'. No-nonsense sort of pub with decent beer; didn't eat so can't comment.

Also stopped at The Holly Bush, Denford, just below Hazelhurst Locks - pretty pub, canalside, popular. Beer good and food seemed okay to judge by other people's plates at least!

Both have lots of outside seating so dogs no problem - don't know about in the bars though.

Not a pub but if you haven't been you ought to stop at the Etruria Museum by the start of the canal at Stoke. Fascinating! And some good walks for you and the dog around Froghall Basin - leaflet available at visitor centre there.