A Week in June

tillergirl

Featured Posts

Well after much huffing an puffing and non committment to a boating holiday this year we finally decided to have a week on the Chesterfield in mid June. Its local to us and only a 25 minute drive to West Stockwith and I suppose really we should have done it before now.

HWTHMBO (he who thinks he must be obeyed - yea right :lol: ) would like to know if we'll get right up to Kiveton in the week and back. Any places to avoid? Any nice spots to moor apart from the Mucky Duck at Drakeholes? Any tips?

We had a pleasant walk with the dogs on Sunday from Shireoaks up towards Turnerwood and I think the walk made the decision for us. Something to look forward to :lol:

Edited by tillergirl

Well after much huffing an puffing and non committment to a boating holiday this year we finally decided to have a week on the Chesterfield in mid June. Its local to us and only a 25 minute drive to West Stockwith and I suppose really we should have done it before now.

HWTHMBO (he who thinks he must be obeyed - yea right :lol: ) would like to know if we'll get right up to Kiveton in the week and back. Any places to avoid? Any nice spots to moor apart from the Mucky Duck at Drakeholes? Any tips?

We had a pleasant walk with the dogs on Sunday from Shireoaks up towards Turnerwood and I think the walk made the decision for us. Something to look forward to :lol:

Did the Chesterfield in October 2005 both ways and it took us five days leisurely boating incl a walk over the line of Norwood tunnel (recommended)

we overnighted at West Stockwith (two pubs and friendly boat club, pub by Basin did nice food), Retford (Lots of pubs) and Shireoaks (Nothing special) but nice location)

Worksop is a dump.

Had lunch time stops at Retford Boat club & Pub by Drakeholes Tunnel - both nice

Also did most of the Canal this year, started at Shireoks (Big steak house - think it's called the lock keeper - not inspiring. Stopped overnight at Ranby (Nice pub) lunch at Hayton(Ran out of real ale) and overnight at Misterton (Friendly pub but not very inspiring)

Tim

Edited to say that it a lovely canal especially the bit above Shireoaks - one of my favorites. A few pictures here.

Edited by Tim Lewis

The White Hart pub at West Stockwith has its own brewery, and is worth the 10 minute walk - The Waterfront at the Basin is OK, but has too many notices telling you what (not) to do.

Misterton is very good for provisions - good Co-op and excellent Butchers, but no good pubs.

Drakeholes - excellent mooring and huge but friendly pub.

Clayworth - you will be made very welcome by the the Boat Club, with a free night's mooring and a very good pub and interesting church with murals.

Hayton - tiny moorings in an isolated spot with the excellent Boat pub just across the road.

Clarborough - Good moorings but the Gate Inn has had several changes of management, none very good - any news?

Retford - a very pleasant market town with very good rail links, but I've never overnighted there, preferring to go on to:

Forest Locks - beautiful peaceful moorings with extensive woodland walks.

Scofton - worth stopping for a trip back to the 18th century in this isolated Estate village.

Worksop - Awful. Could do with moving several miles away from the canal. Keep going.

Shireoaks - pleasant moorings, but unfortunately the only pub left (Hewett Arms) has rather erratic opening hours, but is idiosyncratic enough to be worth a visit.

Thorpe Salvin - worth mooring in the middle of the flight, then a path up through the woods to visit this community-owned pub in a beautiful village. Trevor, the local BW man on the ground, as unmistakable as Old Father Time, lives here.

Kiveton Park - worth it to say you've been to the present head of navigation, but not to stay.

You could easily do this in a week, but not do it justice. We were stuck for a month on the Chesterfield 3 years ago during the Trent floods, but still liked it so much I called in again last year!

You'll love it.

Mac

We have only stayed at West Stockwith on a couple of occasions but can confirm what others have already said. It is a nice village, with a couple of good pubs and the farm stall is well worth buying fruit and veg from. We had a really good evening in the yacht club and the local boat owners are a very friendly bunch.

Echo all of the above: whether you can do it in a week or not depends on your cruise/stop balance, but for a boating holiday, with focus on boating, it's easy enough, and also very quiet. Given it's your local canal, and thus you can go back to visit places by car, I'd say go for it.

Worksop is a bit of a dive although as Bassetlaw Council are one of my clients I'd better keep quiet! One thing I've found, due to the necessity to visit it rather a lot, is that it does have some hidden gems that are worth seeking out. I'd suggest if uou visit you moor by the canal tavern for a few hours and then move on either to the Lock Keeper if going west or to Osberton if going east. The area of Worksop to really look out for though is Manton, where even Bassetlaw admit they've got problems. You'll be fine cruising though it, but don't stop there, not that there's anything to stop for but it looks deceptively rural.

Well at least we all appear to agree about Worksop! (Trying to flush out a Worksop defender :lol: )

Well at least we all appear to agree about Worksop! (Trying to flush out a Worksop defender :lol: )

Sorry. The short-term memory is......... What was I saying?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Weeell in the 1987/88 season the Worksop defenders were very good as Worksop were the only team that Chorley failed to score against as the Magpies lifted the Northern Premier League title :lol:

It was a dive then as well, and I don't mean in the penalty area!

Echoed in most parts, but some updates on the current state of the pubs.

The White Hart is definately the one to go for in Stockwith, for food and beer.

If you stop at Clayworth (Retford and Worksop boat club) You MUST eat at the Brewers in the village, it's superb. Be warned though, you do need to book. The other pub in the village, the Blacksmiths Arms, is currently closed. The boat club is open Wed, Fri and Sat evenings, and lunchtime Sunday. You will get a warm welcome and the beer is criminally cheap.

The Boat at Hayton wasn't very good in the summer, which was a shame because it used to be ace.

The Hop Pole, and The Gate, are currently closed, though work is going on at The Gate, so it may be reopening soon.

In Retford, I can highly recommend the "Rum Runner" Great real ale pub with a good atmosphere.

It's a shame the notice is so short. I'm taking Helena from W.Stockwith to Clayworth on Saturday, on my own. You could have joined me for the trip!

Lee

• 3 months later...
3 days and counting!

Question: supermarkets en route?

There is a supermarket next to the Canal in Retford just west of the lock. There is also a Netto/Lidl/aldi type place by the bridge.

Therre must be lots of other shops in Retford & Worksop.

Tim

There is a Co-op in Misterton, but that's only a few hundred yards from where you're setting off from, so that's no good at all! There is however a very good butchers there which may be of some interest. Retford is the next major population centre so that's your next opportunity. Not sure about Worksop, but would suggest that would probably be your last chance, save a couple of little shops along the way.

Don't know what your plans are for your first night, but usually Drakeholes or the RWBC are where Tony's boats spend their first night. My wife and I will be in the club on Saturday night if you fancy a cheap pint and a warm welcome I can highly recommend it.

If you decide to eat at the Brewers in the village I advise you to book soon. It is good and gets very busy.

My boat is parked along the line at the RWBC, a blue boat with no name on her yet. I'm parked behind Firebird. We'll be at the boat all day, do look us up.

Lee

edit for double post!

Edited by Lee J

There is a Co-op in Misterton, but that's only a few hundred yards from where you're setting off from, so that's no good at all! There is however a very good butchers there which may be of some interest. Retford is the next major population centre so that's your next opportunity. Not sure about Worksop, but would suggest that would probably be your last chance, save a couple of little shops along the way.

Don't know what your plans are for your first night, but usually Drakeholes or the RWBC are where Tony's boats spend their first night. My wife and I will be in the club on Saturday night if you fancy a cheap pint and a warm welcome I can highly recommend it.

If you decide to eat at the Brewers in the village I advise you to book soon. It is good and gets very busy.

My boat is parked along the line at the RWBC, a blue boat with no name on her yet. I'm parked behind Firebird. We'll be at the boat all day, do look us up.

Lee

edit for double post!

Hi Lee

We were going to stop off at Drakeholes the first night so he can watch the England match (groan :lol: as you can see I'm not a footie fan). However, I note that its only a couple of miles further along to the RWBC so we may well carry on and moor there for the night if theres room (??) for a 50' boat?? We've hired Maid Marion. Cheap pints sound like a good idea to me!! We'll have plenty of beer on board too. He originally wanted to stop at Drakeholes on the way back so back to Plan A then. Do we have to ring and ask if its OK to moor there overnight or just ask when we get there? As foor food am sure we can ruslte something up to eat without eating out on our first night..........

Sheila

Hi Lee

We were going to stop off at Drakeholes the first night so he can watch the England match (groan :lol: as you can see I'm not a footie fan). However, I note that its only a couple of miles further along to the RWBC so we may well carry on and moor there for the night if theres room (??) for a 50' boat?? We've hired Maid Marion. Cheap pints sound like a good idea to me!! We'll have plenty of beer on board too. He originally wanted to stop at Drakeholes on the way back so back to Plan A then. Do we have to ring and ask if its OK to moor there overnight or just ask when we get there? As foor food am sure we can ruslte something up to eat without eating out on our first night..........

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

It's about another 40 minutes from Drakeholes to RWBC. You don't need to phone there's a few boats out at the mo, which is why I'm there, so we'll certainly get you in. I'm off to the boat tomorrow so I can prewarn Doug.

I donated an old Plasma screen to the club last year, they'll probably be showing the footie on that in the function room. I am REALLY no fan of football, so I fully intend hiding in the bar if that is the case, I'm hoping they'll be a few of us "heathens" in there!

I'll PM you with my 'phone no. Give me a call if you need to know anything further. Other than that I look forward to meeting you.

Lee

Hope you have a good time and that the weather improves.

I take it you will not hanging around in the basin to watch the powerboat racing on the Trent at the weekend :lol:

Did'nt know there was anything going on Phylis but we'll give you a wave if we see you.

Hi Sheila,

It's about another 40 minutes from Drakeholes to RWBC. You don't need to phone there's a few boats out at the mo, which is why I'm there, so we'll certainly get you in. I'm off to the boat tomorrow so I can prewarn Doug.

I donated an old Plasma screen to the club last year, they'll probably be showing the footie on that in the function room. I am REALLY no fan of football, so I fully intend hiding in the bar if that is the case, I'm hoping they'll be a few of us "heathens" in there!

I'll PM you with my 'phone no. Give me a call if you need to know anything further. Other than that I look forward to meeting you.

Lee

Thanks Lee will text you when we leave Drakeholes ans then you can look out for us. :lol:

Did'nt know there was anything going on Phylis but we'll give you a wave if we see you.

We are not entered. Didnt find out about it until last weekend. One of the chaps we know is a support boat for the event though so we are hoping he has room for a couple more crew tomorrow or sunday. Quite fancy the chance of legally thrashing a 42ft Sealine flybridge up and down the Trent.

Hi Everyone!! We're back!! Got lots of pictures that I need to upload and link to this thread for you all to look at (if you want to). Had a glorious week - weather great, Chesterfield Canal is beautiful (before and after Worksop)! Highly reccommend those who can (draft permitting) give it a go. Huge thanks to Trevor (of the Chesterfield Canal Trust) who helped us lock up past Shireoaks and for all the interesting things he told us. Had no problems at all in Retford or Worksop although after we'd come back down on Thursday we found out after reaching Charlies Lock from a couple of BW guys that some mindless yobs had broken the locks off the paddles, opened everything up at Bracebridge Lock in the hours of darkness and drained the pound between there and Town Lock. Lucky for us we'd got through unlucky for the other hire boat they were stuck at Stret Lock until the pound was filled up again and things put to rights.

Hope to get the pictures uploaded tonight/tomorrow onto photobucket and will post a link as there are far too may to put on the forum :lol:

As promised a few photos:)

ShireoaksBasin.jpg

Shireoaks Basin

Turnerwood.jpg

2 Hour Visitor Mooring at Turnerwood before the 15 locks to come!

TurnerwoodBottomLock-1.jpg

Turnerwood Bottom Lock

LockwheelerTrevor.jpg

Trevor from the Chesterfield Canal Trust - helping hand through to Thorpe Top Lock

LimehouseLock.jpg

Limehouse Lock - somewhere in the middle of the 15! the bricks are just an outline of a very old building (date undetermined) that was discovered by archeologists during the restoration of the canal.

These are just a sample of what we took - far too many to list here.

A big thanks to Lee for the warm welcome at the RWBC. A recommended stopover if you decide to viist the Chesterfield.

Just an extra - could'nt believe the size of the pike at Norwood Tunnel end!!

MonsterPikeNorwood.jpg