First Boat

Dyad

Featured Posts

From first grant cheque clearing, to casting off and going on a disastrous maiden voyage, less than 2 weeks.

1933, 23', mahogany on oak canoe sterned bermudan sloop. Quite simply the most beautiful boat I have ever owned and I wish I hadn't sold it.

1933, 23', mahogany on oak canoe sterned bermudan sloop. Quite simply the most beautiful boat I have ever owned and I wish I hadn't sold it.

Do you know if she is still afloat Carl?

My first was an Enterprise sailing dinghy (E9945) - and yes, I wish I still had that one too- tho' I could do without the amount of maintenance she took to keep the varnished decks and wooden hull looking as good as new.

David

Edited by Bullfrog

There are a few we know on there as well. Some people we know have called it quits :lol:

The one that first caught my eye was the little Birchwood 22 - would suit me down to the ground right now and not a lot of money - in fact I think it's the cheapest on that list

But the Birchwood 32 and the Seamaster caught my attention too and both for under 20 grand but they are both twin engines and I don't think I want that

There was a 28 footer too but I think it's under offer

For someone starting out in the boating world these old boats in good nick must be a good way to go

My first was an Enterprise sailing dinghy (E9945) - and yes, I wish I still had that one too- tho' I could do without the ammount of maintenance she took to keep the varnished decks and wooden hull looking as good as new.

David

I have a wooden Enterprise (8366) in my back garden

The one that first caught my eye was the little Birchwood 22 - would suit me down to the ground right now and not a lot of money - in fact I think it's the cheapest on that list

But the Birchwood 32 and the Seamaster caught my attention too and both for under 20 grand but they are both twin engines and I don't think I want that

There was a 28 footer too but I think it's under offer

For someone starting out in the boating world these old boats in good nick must be a good way to go

We liked the look of that Freeman, very tidy boat and very well looked after.

If we didnt have Cal it would be on the maybe list.

No matter how much you plan out your first boat it won't be long before it is the wrong boat :lol: . I agree with many of the others. You should get on the wet with something small and cheap. You will learn a million things about boats and boating by meeting other cruisers and seeing what you like and don't like. Even after all that you will still learn alot when you are living on your own boat.

Living on the water is a wonderful adventure. Don't put it off. We both wish we had done it sooner.

After you have your second boat, don't take you wife to boat shows. She will want a different one, and another and another.

Life is short, go buy a boat now. I wanted a boat since i was 2! Took another 41 years although once i had decided to invest it was all of 4 weeks! Stumbled across the right boat straight away though... Only regret the things you didnt do, not things you did

:lol: Enjoy

Best advice ever, :lol: turn your dream into reality, do your homework,kick a few tyres,

and if you fall for a boat, get a survey and get boating,

your a long time dead

Col

happy hunting

That's it you've done it now, it's ALL your fault. I am now looking at plastic boats which are more financially achievable. Of course this opens up a whole new ball game of questions but it'll give me something to research.

Seriously though, thanks for all the tips and messages of encouragement.

Kev

Edited by Dyad