Boat naming conventions

Shasterian Noble

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and am in the process of clearing up some personal mess and hoping to move out onto the canals by the end of the summer.

I have one rather odd question which I can't see an answer to anywhere which is: if I buy a second hand boat, is it acceptable to change the name or is this terribly bad luck, as with sea-going vessels?

Additionally, I gather residential moorings anywhere are like hens-teeth, but if anyone knows of places where one might be available sometime this year in the Oxford vicinity, could they let me know!

Many thanks chaps!

Mark

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and am in the process of clearing up some personal mess and hoping to move out onto the canals by the end of the summer.

I have one rather odd question which I can't see an answer to anywhere which is: if I buy a second hand boat, is it acceptable to change the name or is this terribly bad luck, as with sea-going vessels?

Additionally, I gather residential moorings anywhere are like hens-teeth, but if anyone knows of places where one might be available sometime this year in the Oxford vicinity, could they let me know!

Many thanks chaps!

Mark

It is perfectly acceptable and somewhere in the forum the correct procedure is outlined for you. It is a bit tricky finding enough virgins though..

Richard

Welcome to the forum and good luck

It is perfectly acceptable and somewhere in the forum the correct procedure is outlined for you. It is a bit tricky finding enough virgins though..

Richard

Welcome to the forum and good luck

I seem to recall that a virgin boy had to verify the boat's identiy by inspecting the golden rivet! :lol:

Seriously, no problem, I sailed on a number of ships that changed their names, I also changed the name of my present boat when I purchased it. I do not think I have been brought any bad luck by that. Remember the "Titanic" was always the "Titanic"! :lol:

Just changed the name on ours. No problem.

Involved complex, esoteric and time-consuming ritual of contacting BW via a device that converts speech into an analog signal suitable for transmission along a line.

(BTW - If you're at all superstitious, there's something about not changing the name whilst it's in the water (the boat not the name), but others will know far more about that than I).

Just changed the name on ours. No problem.

Involved complex, esoteric and time-consuming ritual of contacting BW via a device that converts speech into an analog signal suitable for transmission along a line.

(BTW - If you're at all superstitious, there's something about not changing the name whilst it's in the water (the boat not the name), but others will know far more about that than I).

yes, as far as i remember the boat should be re-christened whilst out of water. or so i have heard - of course it may be just an old spouse's tale. I just checked on a couple of myth buster sites and found no result so perhaps true. we changed the name of ours without removing and had no problem (crossed fingers).

cheers

nigel

ps welcome to the forum

Edited by capnthommo

yes, as far as i remember the boat should be re-christened whilst out of water. or so i have heard - of course it may be just an old spouse's tale. I just checked on a couple of myth buster sites and found no result so perhaps true. we changed the name of ours without removing and had no problem (crossed fingers).

cheers

nigel

ps welcome to the forum

Heh, thanks.

I'm not really superstitious, just wondered if there were conventions. I'm a stickler for tradition, so wouldn't like to upset the gods of 'Its-bin-dun-like-that-for-centuries'!

Play with the power of Poseidon at your own peril.

I think our canal network is out of his territory! :lol:

cheers

nigel

ps welcome to the forum

Myth. I once sailed on a ship that changed names quite legally between ports. Changing the name was easy, getting the bills of lading correctly modified (before leaving port) was a lot more complicated!

Edited to add: For us it was all easy all we had to do was change the name by rigging paint staging over the bow and stern. Port of registration was also changed by the way. I suspect that the office staff ashore had a lot more work to do than us on board!

Edited by Radiomariner

just out of interest, what is the correct protocol?

cheers and thanks

nigel

In short,

Remove all (really, all ) mention of the old name, in any form, from the boat.

Offer a sacrifice with the old name to the sea (or canal in this case).

accompany the sacrifice with champagne.... (to the sea, not yourself...)

rename the vessel with her new name.

wet the cerimony with more champange.

In short,

thanks. looks interesting, particularly with all that bubbly washing round.

cheers :lol:

nigel

In short,

I believe that on the inland waterways it is acceptable to replace the champagne with coffee or if posh lemonade

Edited by Radiomariner

In short,

Sorry, you have to keep on your boat, something with the old name on it. With my boat it is the gang plank.

:lol:

Please note, that the champagne is an offering, to the gods of the sea. Not to be drunk by mere mortals. Nore do the gods appreciate it when they are given cheap plonk as a substitute....

I don't think the gods will mind if you drink the champers first and have a little tinkle in the cut later! (BW may mind though!)

Seriously, For the OP, Mark.

Protocol is simple. Inform your licensing authority (Usually BW or EA) in writing. They will accept your change or perhaps send you some form to fill. When reapplying for your licence check that the name has been changed on the re-application form. Furthermore, from experience, when you receive your new licence, check that the new name is on it.

Lastly send a message to Jim Shead, his list of boats is frequently out of date! :lol:

Isn't it only legal if the OP plys the entire forum with champers though? I seem to remember somewhere in the forum rules and reg ......

Yes, you are right. bye-law 20.02 -4 states that " Any re-naming cerimony shall be witnessed by as many CWDF members are can be gathered, as to be practicable..."....

The later rule is only applicable to canal craft, and in no way intents to interfere with established nautical arrangements..

:lol: