Hopper Window

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

Hi,

We've notice that our NB has sprung a leak, it appears to be coming from the top of the window frame (the water trickles down over the window latches). The hopper window is riveted in with loads of pop rivets. Would it be best (or betterer) to drill out the rivets, remove the window, clean down the frame and aperture, apply a continuous bead of mastic to the inner periphery of the window frame flange and re-rivet in?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks and a happy New Year!

Rob

Hi,

We've notice that our NB has sprung a leak, it appears to be coming from the top of the window frame (the water trickles down over the window latches). The hopper window is riveted in with loads of pop rivets. Would it be best (or betterer) to drill out the rivets, remove the window, clean down the frame and aperture, apply a continuous bead of mastic to the inner periphery of the window frame flange and re-rivet in?

Rob

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure - really! Try Googling it! :lol:

Hi,

Rob

Hi Rob

That would be a summer job then!!!!

Meanwhile you will have to try and queeze some quality silicone sealant into the frame gaps.

Alex

Just looked up the Capt Tollys Creeping Crack Cure stuff.

Seems worth a try.

A couple of our windows were leaking water. Upon investigation I found that the slim 'sponge' type seal that the hopper glass sits on has moved slightly and therefore the glass misses it and then water can then run along the surface of the hopper frame and then into the inside of the frame.

Would I need to replace the 'sponge' type seal or will I be able to 'relocate' and stick it down again. Anyone any experience of this?

Martyn

Just looked up the Capt Tollys Creeping Crack Cure stuff.

Seems worth a try.

A couple of our windows were leaking water. Upon investigation I found that the slim 'sponge' type seal that the hopper glass sits on has moved slightly and therefore the glass misses it and then water can then run along the surface of the hopper frame and then into the inside of the frame.

Would I need to replace the 'sponge' type seal or will I be able to 'relocate' and stick it down again. Anyone any experience of this?

Martyn

Good idea, Martyn, it could be well worth replacing the sponge seal which runs around the frame in which the opening glass pivots in it's "hopper" does any one have any idea where I can purchase a roll of this tape - I guess that it needs to be non-porous?

Rob

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure - really! Try Googling it! :lol:

I agree. And from personal experience I can also recommend feeding some Owatrol Oil around the frame - it will also slow down any rusting of the steel around the frame.

Good idea, Martyn, it could be well worth replacing the sponge seal which runs around the frame in which the opening glass pivots in it's "hopper" does any one have any idea where I can purchase a roll of this tape - I guess that it needs to be non-porous?

Rob

Hi

It always looked like draught proofing tape from B&Q

Alex