TV Reception

dekker

Featured Posts

Now that analogue TV has gone (OK most areas) what are the cheapest / best alternatives.

I already have an old digi box and a omni aerial but it only works with limited success

Advice please

There's another thread running here which should help.

Link to Freesat thread

Get rid of the TV?

(Well, you asked for simple)

Go on, give it a try!

Just to go :lol: for a sec.

If you did this but then relied on the on line services (iplayer and the like) exclusively for stuff you really really couldn't miss (she's having therapy but Jan is an X-factor addict) -

Do you still need a licence - does any one know?

Edit to add - should have Googled before asking the question-

The answer is Here

Edited by MJG

Just to go :lol: for a sec.

If you did this but then relied on the on line services (iplayer and the like) exclusively for stuff you really really couldn't miss (she's having therapy but Jan is an X-factor addict) -

Do you still need a licence - does any one know?

Edit to add - should have Googled before asking the question-

The answer is Here

So after reading that am i right in saying if someone elses records something for you off their tv and then you take it home you dont have to have a licence to watch it?

How do you get a licence if you are a CCer and always on the move.

would i have to have a licence if i was just going to watch films on DVD's

sorry for going off topic.

So after reading that am i right in saying if someone elses records something for you off their tv and then you take it home you dont have to have a licence to watch it?

I would think that you wouldn't need a licence provided your Video or DVD player doesn't have a receiver capable of receiving TV broadcasts.

To do this you would need a TV which I understand the possession of requires a licence. If you were watching stuff recorded for you an another type of device (eg portable DVD player) than I would say no.

Can't answer that one other than say if you were a true CCer would they catch up with you... :lol:

If watching on a TV my understanding is yes, see above.

Of course all the above is only my view - I may be talking B)ll)cks

I would think that you wouldn't need a licence provided your Video or DVD player doesn't have a receiver capable of receiving TV broadcasts.

I think you're right that's the key issue - the ability of the equipment to receive broadcast programs as they are being broadcast.

It does create a situation where you could easily do with out a TV the as Sarah suggested above but then if you do get the x-factor withdrawal jitters get stuff sent to you on a recordable DVD to watch on a portable player or laptop.

Edited by MJG

To do this you would need a TV which I understand the possession of requires a licence. If you were watching stuff recorded for you an another type of device (eg portable DVD player) than I would say no.

It's not the TV as such that requires a licence, it's 'receiving equipment'.

So if you have no TV but you do have a DVD/video recorder that is capable of recording programmes as they are broadcast then you need a licence.

If you have a TV but you can show that it's not capable of receiving a signal, then you don't need a licence.

If you watch stuff on the computer via i-player, you don't need a licence.

And you don't need a licence for a DVD player

The law has simply failed to catch up with the technology!

Whenever you buy a TV or other receiving equipment, the retailer is obliged to inform TV licencing of your details, so even if it's for someone else, they will hassle you (happened to me).

Edited by WarriorWoman

OK so I do without a norm tv and watch things from iplayer etc dvd anything else get friends to record them and watch at a later date i can live without XFACTOR and all the other c****. News and can catch up on the net so there not much elses i need it for. can always bye a large PC monitor and plug laptop and or dvd player into that.

Just had a thought while typing this cant you get normal tv from the net.

Just had a thought while typing this cant you get normal tv from the net.

You can indeed get certain channels via simulcast but if I read the original info. in the link I first posted correctly a licence is required to do that.

Link to simulcast info

Edited by MJG

If you're planning on watching via the net then I suggest that you double and tripple-check your bandwidth allowance, especially if you're on a 3G account. It could end-up being VERY expensive if you're not careful.

If you're planning on watching via the net then I suggest that you double and tripple-check your bandwidth allowance, especially if you're on a 3G account. It could end-up being VERY expensive if you're not careful.

And of course remember 3g coverage is no where near as good as it should be and iplayer can be a pain in the butt if not running on a fast(ish) internet connection.

Now that analogue TV has gone (OK most areas) what are the cheapest / best alternatives.

I already have an old digi box and a omni aerial but it only works with limited success

Advice please

You will either need to buy a Digital TV or do what I have done, and buy a decent Digital Box to use with your old TV. I bought a second hand Humax F2-FOX T Digital box on eBay. You should be able to pick one up for less than £25 including carriage. (but make sure it has a controller, replacements are very expensive)

The Humax works very well with our ancient analogue TV which does not even have scart socket. We use a bog standard 3ft aerial hoisted up on a 6ft telescopic pole.

Advice please

sorry for taking over the thread a bit there I think until the whole country has gone over and they iron out the problems they are have in different areas you will have problems also depends on how high your arieal is or how old it is. There where saying you would need to upgrade your tv arieals to get the best from digital.

as i said I think i live without it on a boat only thing I would miss is the discovery channels.

sorry for taking over the thread a bit there I think until the whole country has gone over and they iron out the problems they are have in different areas you will have problems also depends on how high your arieal is or how old it is. There where saying you would need to upgrade your tv arieals to get the best from digital.

as i said I think i live without it on a boat only thing I would miss is the discovery channels.

I have a round thing on the roof that looks like star ship enterprise. Anyone know if its a digital anntena or analogue. The new digital tv and the vhf for that matter receives absolutely nowt!! Im guessing a new didital arial on a mast would do the trick

Phil

I have a round thing on the roof that looks like star ship enterprise. Anyone know if its a digital anntena or analogue. The new digital tv and the vhf for that matter receives absolutely nowt!! Im guessing a new didital arial on a mast would do the trick

Phil

Sounds like one of these -

Linky to Gazelle ariel

Can always bye a large PC monitor and plug laptop and or dvd player into that.

So if you have no TV but you do have a DVD/video recorder that is capable of recording programmes as they are broadcast then you need a licence.

If you have a TV but you can show that it's not capable of receiving a signal, then you don't need a licence.

If your TV, Recorder, is not plugged into an aerial, sat dish, etc it's not capable of receiving broadcasts. This is all you need to do to not have a TV licence and still be legal.

Edited by Robbo

If your TV, Recorder, is not plugged into an aerial, sat dish, etc it's not capable of receiving broadcasts. This is all you need to do to not have a TV licence and still be legal.

Ok only prob i can think on that one if i brought a boat with a fix round thingy on top cos they could say i just unplugged the leads. But then it prob wouldnt leave to much of a mark if i took it off.

Ok only prob i can think on that one if i brought a boat with a fix round thingy on top cos they could say i just unplugged the leads. But then it prob wouldnt leave to much of a mark if i took it off.

You need to be caught receiving a broadcast to be prosecuted, so just unplugging the lead is fine. You don't need a licence to own the equipment, but you do need one if you receive broadcasts so just make your TV incapable of doing so, so you don't accidentally receive a broadcast.

Going back to the original topic - we've got a WinTV dongle which plugs into the laptop and an aerial on the roof and gives us quite a lot of channels. Cost about £60 IIRC. We're thinking of getting a normal TV though cos we can't use the internet and watch telly at the same time.

I'm afraid that is not the case. If you have any equipment that is capable of receiving TV, plugged into an aerial or a dish or whatever, it requires a TV licence. Just because it may be disconnected from an aerial or dish does not make it exempt. That includes a redundant VHS player for example, even if it is gathering dust in a storeroom or attic. The owner of a computer that has a TV card is equally liable.

QUOTE (floatingphil @ Dec 6 2009, 05:18 PM)

Phil

Sounds like one of these -

Linky to Gazelle ariel

Yep , thats the baby..... I guess UHF is analogue is it, coz its dont pick up diddly!. I think a digi arial on a mast as David suggested my be the way forward

The starange thing is , the vhf is u/s as well so im not sure if the problem lays in the booster gain box thingy

Phil

I'm afraid that is not the case. If you have any equipment that is capable of receiving TV, plugged into an aerial or a dish or whatever, it requires a TV licence. Just because it may be disconnected from an aerial or dish does not make it exempt. That includes a redundant VHS player for example, even if it is gathering dust in a storeroom or attic. The owner of a computer that has a TV card is equally liable.

What they saying is if its not plugged in ie the lead from dish to equipment is missing. then no licence is needed. and as you say if it was plugged into the lead then licence is needed or did you mean to even if unplugged a licence is still needed.

Your quite wrong, http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ15/

What they saying is if its not plugged in ie the lead from dish to equipment is missing. then no licence is needed. and as you say if it was plugged into the lead then licence is needed or did you mean to even if unplugged a licence is still needed.

My understanding is if you posses a piece of equipment capable of receiving TV broadcasts you need a licence. Plugged in or not.

Edit to add - which seeing the post above is clearly wrong :lol:

Edited by MJG