Cornhill Embankment - Llangollen

PeterScott

Featured Posts

BW say"Stoppage: Cornhill Embankment near Bettisfield

Associated Regional Office: North Wales & Borders Waterways

UPDATE (17 November 2009): Due to a breach during stoppage works at Cornhill Embankment the towpath and canal are closed until further notice whilst engineers investigate the works required to repair the breach.

Canal and towpath closed between Bridge 44 Roundthorn Bridge and Bridge 50 Hampton Bank Bridge.

There is no access in or out of the Prees branch. Boat movements are only possible South of Br 1 Allman’s Lift Bridge.

Signage will be erected.

Wind at Br 42 Tilstock Park Lift Bridge and Br 50 Hampton Bank Bridge.

British Waterways apologise for any inconvenience caused."

How nasty is this one? Anyone nearby?

We still have plenty of water here above Grindley Brook. I wonder if they will have to stop boaters going through the locks down stream of me, if not it can't be long before i'm on the bottom..

Is it me or is the system rapidly falling apart?

don't wish to be a gloommonger, but there do seem to have been one or two incidents recently, don't there

cheers

nigel

Unless they can find a long enough hose to pump the water around like they did when Hampton bank breached.

I'm just short of Bridge 44 and found out about the closure the hard way. I've got a 70' motor and 60' butty and it's miles back to the last winding hole, so it looks like I'm stuck here till they open it up again.

So far the water level has remained stable - it's a long stretch back to Grindley, but as Casper says, how long before it starts to go down. I would have thought they would close Grindley Brook flight for this reason.

Luckily I'm filtering canal water into my tank, otherwise I would be buggered for getting to a tap!

Luckily I'm filtering canal water into my tank, otherwise I would be buggered for getting to a tap!

I wonder how helpful BW would be, if you told them you lived on your boat and needed drinking water etc :lol:

I'm trying to think where bridge 44 is ? Is it the end of Platt Lane?

Edited by casper ghost

bridge 44 roundthorn is 1/2 way across whixall moss

bridge 43 is platt lane

bridge 42 is tilstock park, winding hole is above this bridge and has seen plenty of use due to overloaded scrap lorries wrecking platt lane lift bridge on a regular basis!!!

Tilstock park winding hole is not full length... The next full length winding hole is by the Whitchurch arm junction.

I know, thanks for the answer. I was mearly making additional comment that the chap stuck at bridge 44 couldn't wind round even if he could pull his boat back to Tilstock.

Latest news from Bridge 44! Which is Platts Lane. Last night the water level seemed to be dropping at least a couple of inches. I was beginning to worry that we would end up sitting at 30 degrees to add insult. Luckily this morning saw the level back up again. I walked down to bridge 44 this afternoon and the closed section which had dewatered is now full again. So presumably BW have made temporary repairs to get the water flowing again, but the stop planks are still in place.

Yes, I would not be able to turn at Tilstock and it's miles back to the Whitchurch Arm. I wonder if BW might supply a tug to pull my two boats back there?

Have you heard anything about how long it might take to repair the breach Casper?

Yes, I would not be able to turn at Tilstock and it's miles back to the Whitchurch Arm. I wonder if BW might supply a tug to pull my two boats back there?

Have you heard anything about how long it might take to repair the breach Casper?

I've not heard anything. I expect they must have put a dam either side of the breach so they can pump the water past.

I doubt BW have any tugs near here and the locks are shut..I'm sure they would fetch you water and find a way to empty your toilet etc.

I'll be at my boat from Wednesday if you need anything.

I've not heard anything. I expect they must have put a dam either side of the breach so they can pump the water past.

I doubt BW have any tugs near here and the locks are shut..I'm sure they would fetch you water and find a way to empty your toilet etc.

I'll be at my boat from Wednesday if you need anything.

That's damn fine of you to offer Casper, but I'm an old hand at managing in these desperate times, and at least I have transport. The worst thing is that phone reception at Platts lane is poor and I have to pootle up to the Little Chef by you to use the free hotspot for my net needs!

Pop over for a cuppa if you are not too busy - I might be here for some time! Platts Lane I mean not Little Chef. Lol.

Ian

That's damn fine of you to offer Casper, but I'm an old hand at managing in these desperate times, and at least I have transport. The worst thing is that phone reception at Platts lane is poor and I have to pootle up to the Little Chef by you to use the free hotspot for my net needs!

Pop over for a cuppa if you are not too busy - I might be here for some time! Platts Lane I mean not Little Chef. Lol.

Ian

The only boat i've seen towing past me recently, was towing what looked like a sailaway, still in prima, would that be you?

Are the stop planks still in place?

Yes, been up to have a look today and the stop planks are still in place. It looks like the flow has been restored though as the levels have not been a problem and there appears to be a good flow up here.