age limit

woolies

Featured Posts

Hey Daaaa why buy a boat when dad has one after all it is me and my sisters Inheritance he`s spending. What makes you think a 15 year old girl can handle a boat as good as men anyway. Ive have been boating since 11 may I add forced too. Molly xxx

I met a boat on the North Oxford last week being driven by a girl who I would say was no more than 14 and she was doing a splendid job, unlike some of the 55 year olds that I have met.

One other cautionary tale, my daughter is now 21 and has borrowed the boat several times with her mates. All has gone well, but she readily admits that it was difficult to stop the lads from being really stupid at times and doing things that, if not really dangerous, were a little foolhardy. I think you'd need to think carefully about whether you would be able to stop your friends it things got a little bit out of hand.

I think this is probably a major point, you have grown up with boats, hopefully you have a great respect for what can go wrong at locks,bridges etc. Bring 4 of 5 none boaty friends along who have never wound a paddle, held a boat on a rope etc. and you will have more than a full time job.

Thinking ahead, it may be worth taking a Friend along next time you go with mum and dad, to get them "trained up" for the big day.

I think this is probably a major point, you have grown up with boats, hopefully you have a great respect for what can go wrong at locks,bridges etc. Bring 4 of 5 none boaty friends along who have never wound a paddle, held a boat on a rope etc. and you will have more than a full time job.

You are right they won’t have much of a clue , but i would show them the ropes....When you think about it its ok for hire company’s to send people out who havent a clue. i can remember having to reverse about 400ft because of the canal time coming our way the woman only had to reverse a boats length but couldn’t. I’m not complaining we all started somewhere. moll xx

Edited by woolies

My Lou is .......10. And fast getting a serious hand at the cruising. She isn't too happy at locks (sensible girl) and insists I stay with her rather than stand up top while she navigates in.She has been out in 7 and 14 ft locks, a couple of tunnels, and mooring up as well, letting me do the hard work!!

Of course I am not abdicating, and staying within 20 feet of her for her cruising time, but watching her gain confidence, pass boats and lowering speed without asking for help, steering a good line through reeds,bridges and narrow bits..........

Go for it Molly, and I am now going to get my Lou on the helmskids course. :-)

One thing that really gets on my wick is arbitary age limits and especially those who follow 'rules' to the nth degree.

The 'rules' might say that you cannot pilot a boat until the age of 18 but who cares! As long as the 17 year old knows what there doing what's the problem.

Not that I do not respect rules its just I don't respect rules that are absolute.

Oh for a bit or anarchy............................. :lol:

One thing that really gets on my wick is arbitary age limits and especially those who follow 'rules' to the nth degree.

The 'rules' might say that you cannot pilot a boat until the age of 18 but who cares! As long as the 17 year old knows what there doing what's the problem.

Not that I do not respect rules its just I don't respect rules that are absolute.

I think insurance companys need to rethink their rules ,they are prepared to give a 60ft boat to a hire with 20 mins training , Yet even though I have been only boating 3 years but dragged off every school holiday .Also last year me and dad done a helms certificate which was quite fun. But to be honest I did find the cruiser easier to control for speed better than the trad we have now it has a stupid wheel instead of a lever. Moll xx :lol:

I think insurance companys need to rethink their rules ,they are prepared to give a 60ft boat to a hire with 20 mins training , Yet even though I have been only boating 3 years but dragged off every school holiday .Also last year me and dad done a helms certificate which was quite fun. But to be honest I did find the cruiser easier to control for speed better than the trad we have now it has a stupid wheel instead of a lever. Moll xx :lol:

Nothing wrong with old fashioned controls :lol: I get confused with modern ones (boy, does that make me sound old)

If your interested in boats and going boating you might also be interested in going the Young Working Boaters Society or YWBS.

The group was formed relatively recently by a number of enthusiastic younger boaters to get people together as well as promote narrow boating to younger people and organise and run trips boating. We are currently tendering for a boat of our own for the society to use and look after but in the mean time we will next been meeting in stone over christmas for a get together on the 19/20th dec (dates to be confirmed) if you would be interested in coming along there more information on the website at www.ywbs.co.uk

Daniel

A.jpg

And some diesel of course!