Dehumidifiers

hillbilly

Featured Posts

Hi all, can I ask if you think it a good idea to have a dehumidifier on the narrowboat? I know circulation and ventilation are all important but just wondered whether to take the dehumidifer when we move onto the boat or should it be amongst the items being left behind. What do you think?

If you have the space and power, I should have thought one would be brilliant on a boat. We use one in our bedroom at home and found it a great help avoiding condensation on the window and hopefully helps reduce the dampness which leads to mould in corners behind furniture. No proof of this yet, as we have not moved the furniture since redecorating and introducing the de-humidifier. Not possible to use one on our holiday boat as we have neither the space nor the power.

Arthur

If you have the space and power, I should have thought one would be brilliant on a boat. We use one in our bedroom at home and found it a great help avoiding condensation on the window and hopefully helps reduce the dampness which leads to mould in corners behind furniture. No proof of this yet, as we have not moved the furniture since redecorating and introducing the de-humidifier. Not possible to use one on our holiday boat as we have neither the space nor the power.

Arthur

I too, think they are actually brilliant - depending on the size they take about 200 to 400 watts, all of which ends up in the "room" as heat, they obviously extract moisture, some have a humidistat to limit how dry the air gets ( also limiting the electricity bill ). Downsides are the noise they make ( no problem if boat unoccupied or you are not in the room ) and the electricity cost / provision. I would say that you would need a big solar array to cope with the consumption if no shore-line.

Nick

De-humidifiers work.

They need to run for hours.

Remember though that narrowboats etc. have permanent ventilation, (low level and high) so 'you' will not only b trying to de-humidify the boat but also the world.