Brentford to Teddington

WJM

Featured Posts

First, a 'trick' that might be useful to anyone doing the tidal passage from Brentford to Teddington. All the guidebooks and common wisdom suggest you must leave Brentford between two and one hours before high tide, in order to get the upward push of the incoming tide. This may not always suit a schedule so here is an alternative; leave Brentford two hours after high tide (the latest possible time to leave before the locks close). You will then push against the tide for a mile or so as far as Richmond Lock and Weir. When you arrive there the weir will be down and you can lock up onto the now tideless river from Richmond to Teddington. Only one mile of very easy tideway, no bridges, no traffic and wide all the way. Easy!

The second part of my posting is to alert you all to a unique inland waterway feature; the Lock Keeper at Richmond, a lock keeper who clearly hates locks and boats. My recent passage through his magnificent lock was met initially with a stony silence, then a stroppy sulky setting of the lock that a teenager would be proud of! Once in the lock the only exchange was an angrily shouted "If you had not been so slow you could have gone through the weir instead!" Unwisely, I retorted that I actually wanted to come through the lock. That was it, the gloves were off. "Engine off and tie at both ends, very strong flow from the sluices" he said. I nodded silently but didn't express my opinion that a lone narrowboat rising about two feet in a huge lock might be ok holding with engine and tiller alone. My request for him to catch my thrown rope and put it around a bollard was met with a stunned expression and "Not with my back mate, I am not pulling boats", so I set my ropes as he watched. After opening his sluices about one millimetre he then disappeared into the office for about fifteen minutes. I wasn't in a hurry. I made some tea and relaxed. It is an experience, it really is. Apart from the entertainment value of the keeper, the lock is a magnificent structure and well worth the half hour it took me to pass through.

Richlock.JPG

Edited by WJM

• 4 months later...
Also worth noting that there is no longer a fee for use of this lock :lol:

They did formerly charge £5 or something...

And now they've changed it agaiin, so once more it costs £5:

"From the 1st January 2010 all vessels regardless of size, draught or displacement will be charged £5.00 to use Richmond Lock.

Vessel owners are asked to ensure that they have the requisite funds before entering the lock, only cash will be accepted. Standing arrangements for frequent users of the lock will continue as before."

From the Notices to Mariners, number 26 of 2009

And now they've changed it agaiin, so once more it costs £5:

"From the 1st January 2010 all vessels regardless of size, draught or displacement will be charged £5.00 to use Richmond Lock.

Vessel owners are asked to ensure that they have the requisite funds before entering the lock, only cash will be accepted. Standing arrangements for frequent users of the lock will continue as before."

From the Notices to Mariners, number 26 of 2009

thanks for pointing this out. I wonder what they do if you do not have the means to pay?

I've seen people 'hovering' waiting for the barriers to open under the bridge, but I'm not sure if you can moor and wait :lol:

First, a 'trick' that might be useful to anyone doing the tidal passage from Brentford to Teddington. All the guidebooks and common wisdom suggest you must leave Brentford between two and one hours before high tide, in order to get the upward push of the incoming tide. This may not always suit a schedule so here is an alternative; leave Brentford two hours after high tide (the latest possible time to leave before the locks close). You will then push against the tide for a mile or so as far as Richmond Lock and Weir. When you arrive there the weir will be down and you can lock up onto the now tideless river from Richmond to Teddington. Only one mile of very easy tideway, no bridges, no traffic and wide all the way. Easy!

The second part of my posting is to alert you all to a unique inland waterway feature; the Lock Keeper at Richmond, a lock keeper who clearly hates locks and boats. My recent passage through his magnificent lock was met initially with a stony silence, then a stroppy sulky setting of the lock that a teenager would be proud of! Once in the lock the only exchange was an angrily shouted "If you had not been so slow you could have gone through the weir instead!" Unwisely, I retorted that I actually wanted to come through the lock. That was it, the gloves were off. "Engine off and tie at both ends, very strong flow from the sluices" he said. I nodded silently but didn't express my opinion that a lone narrowboat rising about two feet in a huge lock might be ok holding with engine and tiller alone. My request for him to catch my thrown rope and put it around a bollard was met with a stunned expression and "Not with my back mate, I am not pulling boats", so I set my ropes as he watched. After opening his sluices about one millimetre he then disappeared into the office for about fifteen minutes. I wasn't in a hurry. I made some tea and relaxed. It is an experience, it really is. Apart from the entertainment value of the keeper, the lock is a magnificent structure and well worth the half hour it took me to pass through.

I have always wanted to go through that. The only time I arrived when the barrier was down they wouldn't let me through, because the barrier would be open in about half an hour

edit because I answered twice.

Edited by ditchcrawler