Becton Bunny

Old Son

Featured Posts

I have looked through the search but cannot find an answer to my question, in fact I am even more confused than when I started. I want to fit a stove and was trying to decide on solid fuel or diesel. I have now decided to fit a Beckton Bunny in my 64' narrow boat but am concerned that the proposed changes to the regulations will leave my installation illegal. I am proposing to fit the stove at the front of the boat next to the steps to the front deck ( 2 No about 200mm high each). I will be installing a good quality heat resistant board around the perimeter construction extending 75mm - 100mm past the stove each side. the board will be clad in either tiles or stainless steel. The stove will be set about 100mm from the heat resistant perimeter and be set on a manufacturers stand stood on a piece of slate or similar.

Provided the ventilation complies, can anybody advise if this installation would pass a BSS examination? The boat is only requiring a gas safety certificate to be provided and the RCD will be issued. I was planning to fit the stove after the RCD was issued.

At the moment neither the BSS nor the RCD mandate this issue, so it would pass even if you sat the bottom of the stove directly on the floor without legs and with firelighters glued to the wall around it instead of tiles.

Nobody knows if or when the BSS will address the issue, nor whether there would be any form of retrospective requirement, so your boat is likely to pass the BSS in this respect for some considerable time if not indefinitely.

We have a Becton Bunny and are having a nightmare getting parts for it, we ordered a new handle and blanking plate costing nearly £100 at the start of October.

The marina we ordered via tells me they have been taken over by another company and he cannot get a response from them. I found and called the new owners and got no answer. I emailed them and a fortnight later I get a one sentence response, directing me to a stove spares website where the parts I need are out of stock. I'm not a happy (Becton) Bunny.

Such a shame because otherwise it is a nice stove.

I will be installing a good quality heat resistant board around the perimeter construction extending 75mm - 100mm past the stove each side. the board will be clad in either tiles or stainless steel.

IMO only going 3 or 4 inches past the stove may well still allow wood beyond that point to get alarmingly hot.

Certainly did with our stove as it has been, (Villager Heron, so fairly low output).

We have redone it to go significantly further.

Worst by far was the fact that the old tiling extended above the stove by only this kind of amount - woefully inadequate as scorched wood was showing.

IMO, at the back, particularly, if that's where the flue is, the heat-boarding and it's metal or tile covering need to extend at least a foot or more above the stove top, (unless it's stood an unusually large way forward of the "walls").

Thanks for your responses. It is a little bit worrying that you are struggling to get spares Lady Muck. I was looking at the Bunny because it seemed to be well respected. Is there any other well known stove I could look at, Multifuel, about 5 KW?

Alan, I take on board what you say and will look again at the extent of heat proofing. I was proposing to have a top outlet flue with a couple of layers of fire line board or similar around the walls. I will look at extending it as you suggest. Easier to do it now!!

Edited by Old Son

I run a becton seven in the exact environment you have mentioned. Its much the same as the Bunny, only larger. It sits at the front of my 62', beside the stairs & I have had no problems with B.S.S. & it hasn't caused any fire risk. I'm a live aboard & tend to keep the fire in 24/7 from around end of October till the end of March.

I run a becton seven in the exact environment you have mentioned. Its much the same as the Bunny, only larger. It sits at the front of my 62', beside the stairs & I have had no problems with B.S.S. & it hasn't caused any fire risk. I'm a live aboard & tend to keep the fire in 24/7 from around end of October till the end of March.

I have a becton bunny in my 45ft. Centrally positioned.

For spares I have used these people with no problems

www.solidfuelappliancespares.co.uk

IMO only going 3 or 4 inches past the stove may well still allow wood beyond that point to get alarmingly hot.

Certainly did with our stove as it has been, (Villager Heron, so fairly low output).

We have redone it to go significantly further.

Worst by far was the fact that the old tiling extended above the stove by only this kind of amount - woefully inadequate as scorched wood was showing.

IMO, at the back, particularly, if that's where the flue is, the heat-boarding and it's metal or tile covering need to extend at least a foot or more above the stove top, (unless it's stood an unusually large way forward of the "walls").

My Villager Heron caused a fire since the fire boarding was minimal and as above did bot extend much above the height of the stove. When I repaired top half of lounge, I fireboarded and tiled all of wardrobe back at back of stove and side to a foot beyond the stove from floor to deckhead including the deckhead.