CanalScape-London group is launched

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

I am really pleased to announce the formation of CanalScape-London. Fprmed by Mark pullinger the group is based on the idea of CanalScape-BCN. This will encompass all aspects of preservation, conservation and heritage matters within the London area. Being open to all it is hoped the group will attract membership from all user groups and operating staff of the navigation authorities involved.

Click on this link to become a member:

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanalScape-London/

if its a group dedicated to the 'preservation' of the London canals, why are they showing a pic of a derelict sunken barge from some other waterway on their home page (I dont know which waterway but it could be the Basingstoke or the Black Bear Canal, or Runcorn and Latchford etc etc)

Edited by fender

I don't really think the location of a sunken barge is as important, as much as it represents things that are being constantly lost.

There is an interesting shot of a London remnant in the photo file. Just a 'T' stud and remains of a stem piece sticking out the ground, but an intriguing shackle fitted at the base, and mounted on the remains of what must have been a nice piece of the Blacksmith's art at one time. Not so common methinks.

Yahoo I find suffer-able, and it has it points. Online, ALL the messages are listed chronologically, there are no categories as such, and so nothing need be missed. You just click on the messages you want to read. As it is fairly specific to an area, then there's not a lot of likelyhood of it being oversubscribed to the point of distraction. True photo's cannot easily be placed in a message, but there are albums that can be created.

Overall I do prefer this type of forum format as it has more 'flexibilty' with posting things. A lot may also depend on what one is used to - I got scribbling on Yahoo before I met this type, so I'm kind of 'bi-lingual'.

Derek

if its a group dedicated to the 'preservation' of the London canals, why are they showing a pic of a derelict sunken barge from some other waterway on their home page (I dont know which waterway but it could be the Basingstoke or the Black Bear Canal, or Runcorn and Latchford etc etc)

Try learning a bit a about boats before you post. Thats a lower Grand Union wideboat as used by Sabeys etc, theres supposed to me none left in existence. A bit rare wherever it is.

Try learning a bit a about boats before you post. Thats a lower Grand Union wideboat as used by Sabeys etc, theres supposed to me none left in existence. A bit rare wherever it is.

Try thinking that boats get all over the place so an identifible location is important. Would we say that ex London Python was typical of the Chesterfield Canal - when truly typical Chesterfield narrowboats had uniquely low cabins that no others have? It does help if locations can be identified it means an association with the waterways concerned. Would one see a museum with some artefact that wasnt relevant to the museum or the area and no description given. Vague affinities aren't much to go on.

Try thinking that boats get all over the place so an identifible location is important. Would we say that ex London Python was typical of the Chesterfield Canal - when truly typical Chesterfield narrowboats had uniquely low cabins that no others have? It does help if locations can be identified it means an association with the waterways concerned. Would one see a museum with some artefact that wasnt relevant to the museum or the area and no description given. Vague affinities aren't much to go on.

[/quote

"London Python" is a Fellows Morton and Clayton boat that traded all over the system. The wide boat is a London area boat which symbolises the wider boats used in the London area. You may have still had a "Cuckoo" boat for the Chesterfield if TWT had looked after the artefacts better!