PAT Testers - Advice

Featured Posts

Calling shore leckies out there...

I'm thinking of getting a new PAT tester but there are so many models on the market and each has its pros and cons !!!

How much do you want to spend?

we have just bought two of these and will be getting two more

http://www.seaward.co.uk/products/supernov..._PAT_Tester.asp

excellent bits of kit but not cheap.

That looks to be top of the range.

My limited needs mean that I don't want to spend over £500 really, so am looking at the bottom end of the PAT tester market but

preferably with more than just a basic PASS/FAIL indication.

I just wondered if there are makes and solutions to definitely avoid.

That looks to be top of the range.

My limited needs mean that I don't want to spend over £500 really, so am looking at the bottom end of the PAT tester market but

preferably with more than just a basic PASS/FAIL indication.

I just wondered if there are makes and solutions to definitely avoid.

Does this mean you'll be replacing an older one?

I'm not required to test my power tools, but am supposed to check them over for obvious faults once a year, a cheap & cheerful obsolete PAT covering 110 & 240V would be handy :lol:

Tim

I think £500 is about the cusp between pass/fail and more informative units which, for example, can allow for longer mains cables.

At work I use a Seaward Europa, it was about £800, and IS able to make the above allowance, and also memorises the data and prints the label.

One point from the training film is that 90% of faults are picked up during the visual/manual inspection before you plug into the PAT tester. Examining the cable, fuse and inside the plug is the most important task.

I assume that you are qualified to PAT test as the rules changed a couple of years ago so you now have to be qualified.......even if doing tests on your own company equipment. I believe that if you can prove that you were doing it before the rules changed you can get "grandfather rights". We are at present sending staff members off for training despite having been doing it for years.

Edited by idleness

Calling shore leckies out there...

I'm thinking of getting a new PAT tester but there are so many models on the market and each has its pros and cons !!!

Any advice ?

Get a copy of the Code of practice Amazon

Get a "non computerised" PAT, it is quicker to write down results on a form than push all those buttons. (And less easy to make a mistake) The COP recommends that you write down actual results rather than "Go" or "No-go".

I like this one: Martindale PAT

I'm not required to test my power tools, but am supposed to check them over for obvious faults once a year, a cheap & cheerful obsolete PAT covering 110 & 240V would be handy :lol:

Tim

If you are using the tools "At work" then the COP does recommend that you test them

I assume that you are qualified to PAT test as the rules changed a couple of years ago so you now have to be qualified.......even if doing tests on your own company equipment. I believe that if you can prove that you were doing it before the rules changed you can get "grandfather rights". We are at present sending staff members off for training despite having been doing it for years.

There is no legislation that says you must be qualified, the COP says that you must be competent, a qualification is one way to demonstrate competence.

Idleness does make a good point though, in the event of a tragedy, you need to be sufficiently knowledgeable to stand up in court and convince an expert that you know what you are talking about.

There is no legislation that says you must do PAT testing, by doing it you are covering yourself under several items of legislation, e.g:

The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, (Duty of care)

the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999, (Risk assessment)

the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, (Suitability and maintenance)

the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992

and the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. (Maintenance)

m@

There is no legislation that says you must be qualified, the COP says that you must be competent, a qualification is one way to demonstrate competence.

Idleness does make a good point though, in the event of a tragedy, you need to be sufficiently knowledgeable to stand up in court and convince an expert that you know what you are talking about.

The industry standard recognised qualification is City and Guilds 2377 - Portable Appliance Testing Inspection and Testing Certificate. There is some confusion amongst the public as who can carry out PAT Testing. It stems from the use of the term 'competent person', which some people have assumed can mean just about anyone. However, the explanatory notes to the Electricity at Work Regulations clearly describe the 'competent person' as a person having the necessary skills, qualifications, knowledge and experience to carry out inspection and testing. In short, a person must be suitably qualified to PAT Test.

Thats about it I think if anything goes wrong and you are not qualified then prepare to be taken to the cleaners