Ex BW Work boats for sale

Allan(nb Albert)

Featured Posts

I was told there is a BW meeting in February. They don't seem in much of a hurry to get some money in do they?

Paul H

I think there are some issues they hadn't considered before starting down this road, licensing being one.

AIUI (not absolutely certain on the detail) nowadays if you want to convert a work or freight boat to a pleasure boat (even without any physical alteration, I suspect) in theory you need to go through the whole RCD business just as for a new boat, and BW couldn't be seen to be breaking the law by turning a blind eye to this.

There are probably some well-scratched heads in the relevant bit of BW.

Maybe there's room for a new licensing category for largely unaltered historic craft, instead of the Historic Craft discount, which might get round this one if it meant they could somehow not be classed as Pleasure Boats?

Tim

I missed out on this when it was happening, but what if they would not be converted to pleasure boats, but remained in use as working boats? Apart from repairs, and some minor updating, no major alterations would be required. Surely that does not require the boat to comply with up tot date RCD regs?

I missed out on this when it was happening, but what if they would not be converted to pleasure boats, but remained in use as working boats? Apart from repairs, and some minor updating, no major alterations would be required. Surely that does not require the boat to comply with up tot date RCD regs?

This is exactly what has happened to Panther. She is still only 55ft long having been shortened by BW in 1982 and she still bears the "individual" rolled steel cabin that was fitted at the same time. These things are very unlikely to be changed.

However she is now in much better condition than when she came into the hands of the Coventry Canal Society (first as part of the Heritage "loan" fleet, then bought outright by the society) and she is still working as our clearance boat. We attend waterway events around the midlands with her when time permits.

We know that some purists look down her appearance when she is lined up with other "original" boats, but we take the view that at least she still exists and is in regular use. This we believe is the best situation for any boat to be in.

So full restoration may not be the best solution for some of the boats on the current list, as not being "viable" it is unlikely to happen. Some mid ground place such as that mentioned above may be the better path to follow.