Moorings in west Yorkshire?

Emily

Featured Posts

Hello there, can anyone tell me the best way of going about finding a mooring in west Yorkshire? I've looked on Waterscape and there seem to be very few BW ones. Ideally I'd like to find one on the Rochdale canal but anywhere'll do as long as it's not in a city. I haven't bought the boat yet but have been warned to get the mooring first. I'll be grateful for any advice...

There's not a lot of mooring along the Rochdale. You could try Shire Cruisers or walk along sections where boats are moored and ask who their "landlord" is and then ring and ask to be put on their waiting list. Local BW staff will probably know the likelihood of finding a mooring in a particular area as well.

There is probably more on the Leeds and Liverpool in Lancashire if you're not too fussy about location.

Hello there, can anyone tell me the best way of going about finding a mooring in west Yorkshire? I've looked on Waterscape and there seem to be very few BW ones. Ideally I'd like to find one on the Rochdale canal but anywhere'll do as long as it's not in a city. I haven't bought the boat yet but have been warned to get the mooring first. I'll be grateful for any advice...

You'll get in somewhere round here get the boat first, Shire in my experience will talk turkey only if youve actually got a boat otherwise they get lots of requests like this, as do most people. Call BW Leeds, they used to have towpath moorings at Salterhebble that were always available and cheap. Calder Valley marine manage marina at Apperley Bridge and moorings at Gallows Bridge, Shipley where there look to be a few spaces - right by Aldi and the station too.

Hello there, can anyone tell me the best way of going about finding a mooring in west Yorkshire? I've looked on Waterscape and there seem to be very few BW ones. Ideally I'd like to find one on the Rochdale canal

You could try here , near to Hebden Bridge Railway Station on the Rochdale Canal .

Mayroyd Moorings

telephone: 01422 843362 -

Mayroyd Moorings, Hebden Bridge. HX7 8NU

You'll get in somewhere round here get the boat first, Shire in my experience will talk turkey only if youve actually got a boat otherwise they get lots of requests like this, as do most people. Call BW Leeds, they used to have towpath moorings at Salterhebble that were always available and cheap. Calder Valley marine manage marina at Apperley Bridge and moorings at Gallows Bridge, Shipley where there look to be a few spaces - right by Aldi and the station too.

Hmmm... I may well be wrong here, but I thought that I could omly license my boat if I had a mooring for it?

Hmmm... I may well be wrong here, but I thought that I could omly license my boat if I had a mooring for it?

BW just want to know where it moored, they don't actually check - the online renewal just says is it where it was last registered or has it moved. Just say it is, and tell them when you find a new mooring. You may get a boat with a few months still on the license anyway if you're buying used. They just want your money. Where moorings are scarce ie Thames, GU, Oxford etc things might be different but you'll get in somewhere.

Edited by Matthew Dowson

BW just want to know where it moored, they don't actually check - the online renewal just says is it where it was last registered or has it moved. Just say it is, and tell them when you find a new mooring. You may get a boat with a few months still on the license anyway if you're buying used. They just want your money. Where moorings are scarce ie Thames, GU, Oxford etc things might be different but you'll get in somewhere.

There were a couple of 47ft ( ish ) moorings at Snaygill boats ( Skipton) Dont know if they are still available but worth a try

Cheers folks for your advice, I shall check out the places you've mentioned. The boat I'm looking at buying is up for its survey on monday (gnaw fingernails) and if all goes well myself and my folks (bless'em) will be making our woefully inexperienced way oop North with it soon. Can anyone tell me if it'd be possible to arrange, say, a day's course in handling narrowboats? My folks have been on a couple of boating holidays but I'm not confident at all about a long journey.

Brian at Shepley Bridge may have space. He is very helpful. There is a dry dock and all services.

We moored there for two years very happily.

Brian Best

Huddersfield Road ,

Mirfield ,

WF14 9HR

Tel: 01924 491872

Fax: 01924 491687

I'll second the comment re Shepley Bridge Marina, we moored there for 2½ years until earlier this year without problem and he often has moorings available. We were in same situation of buying boat and trawling around for mooring and Brian came up trumps.

Cheers folks for your advice, I shall check out the places you've mentioned. The boat I'm looking at buying is up for its survey on monday (gnaw fingernails) and if all goes well myself and my folks (bless'em) will be making our woefully inexperienced way oop North with it soon. Can anyone tell me if it'd be possible to arrange, say, a day's course in handling narrowboats? My folks have been on a couple of boating holidays but I'm not confident at all about a long journey.

Yes it is possible to get training courses. Have a look using the search facility or try rya.org.

Sue

I moored very happily at Aspley in Huddersfield for eighteen months. Aspley Wharf Marina have a basin and online moorings both towpath and offside (well, Sainsburyside) and may have vacancies - they have a website. And before anyone reminds me that the OP said no cities, it's not a city (the fact that it claims to be the largest town in England that isn't actually a city is another matter). I found it a great place, very friendly and of course with good facilities and transport links.

I moored very happily at Aspley in Huddersfield for eighteen months. Aspley Wharf Marina have a basin and online moorings both towpath and offside (well, Sainsburyside) and may have vacancies - they have a website. And before anyone reminds me that the OP said no cities, it's not a city (the fact that it claims to be the largest town in England that isn't actually a city is another matter). I found it a great place, very friendly and of course with good facilities and transport links.

Used to be moored at Aspley as well last year, it was pretty full then. Good place, but too near the main road for me, I find Clarence Dock in Leeds quieter! I believe John and Susie are selling the Marina though.

Used to be moored at Aspley as well last year, it was pretty full then. Good place, but too near the main road for me, I find Clarence Dock in Leeds quieter! I believe John and Susie are selling the Marina though.

Yes, there was a lot of traffic noise.

Brian at Shepley Bridge may have space. He is very helpful. There is a dry dock and all services.

We moored there for two years very happily.

Brian Best

Huddersfield Road ,

Mirfield ,

WF14 9HR

Tel: 01924 491872

Fax: 01924 491687

We moor there now, I agree with all said about Brian , but I must add, he does not really like to be bothered on a weekend, not even for diesel, something I find strange.

If you need any more info or anything, just drop me a PM.

Mark