Chainsaw at Netto

carlt

Featured Posts

Any experience of angle grinders, we have bought 5 so far since April, they have all broke, some within half an hour, the best lasted a few days :lol:

Yes indeed!!

Bought one in B&Q - used it until it came time to change the disc and now it WILL NOT shift - as in the old disc is completely immovable. the removal tool lasted all of 10 seconds before the little pegs that locate in the holes in the securing nut bent like they were made of solder

This was 6 months ago and I'm still thinking of ways to solve the problem

I might ditch the bloody angle grinder and keep the nice box it came in - its more use to me

edited to remove a rogue e

Edited by Bazza2

You have hairy palms?

Of course not, I use a top quality palm sander.

Any experience of angle grinders, we have bought 5 so far since April, they have all broke, some within half an hour, the best lasted a few days :lol:

I treat cheap grinders as one job, disposable tools.

That said my 9" Wickes cheapy is now at least 6 years old and refuses to break.

It had a disc changing wrench made out of plasticene, though, but I swapped it for a DeWalt one and now I can change the discs easily.

If you read my post I say they're no more dangerous than many power tools.

Don't buy a car, they're dangerous, walking outside is dangerous so don't buy shoes.

If you're not comfortable using power tools then stick with a bow saw but there are plenty of more dangerous ways to spend £50.

No tools or machines are dangerous, it is operators that are dangerous. Most people don't have the necessary skills or strength to use a chainsaw safely, let alone the 200 quids worth of safety equipment. At last with cars the operators have hopefully had adequate training as to how to operate one in a safe manner. Whether they do so is another matter of course.

Edited by Guest

No tools or machines are dangerous, it is operators that are dangerous. Most people don't have the necessary skills or strength to use a chainsaw safely, let alone the 200 quids worth of safety equipment. Whoever Netto are (never heard of 'em) are irresponsible.

Netto are no more irresponsible than every other tool shop or garden centre out there.

Operating a chainsaw requires common sense, not skill, and swmbo is perfectly happy using my smaller saw so strength isn't essential, either (the Dolmar has a 3' bar, though, so she doesn't bother even trying to lift that one).

I have a chainsaw certificate but that proves nothing, one of my former colleagues who also did the course, is a liability, with a chainsaw, because he was devoid of common sense.

Netto are no more irresponsible than every other tool shop or garden centre out there.

Operating a chainsaw requires common sense, not skill, and swmbo is perfectly happy using my smaller saw so strength isn't essential, either (the Dolmar has a 3' bar, though, so she doesn't bother even trying to lift that one).

I have a chainsaw certificate but that proves nothing, one of my former colleagues who also did the course, is a liability, with a chainsaw, because he was devoid of common sense.

What about the relevant safety equipment?

Safely using a chainsaw also requires a little knowledge, as without this common sense won't allow you to assess the chance of kick back, probably one of the most common and dangerous causes of serious accidents.

And even a chainsaw cert proves nothing, just like a driving licence, one has reached a minimum standard but still got a lot to learn, so little is taught about tension and compression in timber.

And as you say, strenghth doesn't matter, its technique and letting the tool do the work.

Personally I only buy Stihl, but would not buy a second hand saw from ebay as I know how my old workhorses could be cleaned up and mad to look decent, but are bl**dy knackered, couple of hours use and woudl be rattly old saws with a new chain ! for most people this would only be evident when they took it to the shop and got the quote for repairs !

I think a lot depends on your intended usage of the tool in question.

I spent a good few years using chainsaws professionally, and thought I'd never use anything but Husqvarna and Jonsereds. However, I wanted a saw for cutting up pallets at home a couple of years back and ended up buying a cheapy off ebay which was less than £90 delivered. Although the difference in build quality is obvious straight away - for the money it's been a good little saw, for a job that could never justify spending around £500 for the Swedish equivalent. I wouldn't buy one for full time work in the wood, but for home use doing odd jobs and pallets, I can't fault it.

Father in law was replacing circular saw blades in his table saw at quite an expense, and then got a pack of four blades from Aldi or somewhere similar for less than the price he'd been paying for singles. At that money, it doesn't really matter if it doesn't last forever.

The point about supermarkets selling chainsaws is another thing altogether. I can think of a number of friends I wouldn't want to go anywhere near one frankly!

Andy

What about the relevant safety equipment?

Yes thank you.

Gloves, chaps, boots, jacket and helmet.

I believe Freud would have had some interesting theories about chainsaw ownership, size etc.

Yes he may say "you look like you own wooden boats and are equipped to mill your own planks."

I have the correct equipment for the job.

Perhaps Freud might have something to say about that, too.

[

although i agree with the common sense aspect skill also comes into it 20 odd years with the saw, up a tree and on the ground and i have seen real skill, people who can drop trees, branches etc exactly where they want against the natural lean of the tree, sometimes turning the tree through 90* as it falls, now thats skill.

again i agree people with more tickets than you can shake a sh*ty stick at they have scared the bejeasus out of me.

chainsaws are tools and as such used properly are as safe as any tool, the cheap supermarket saws are ok for light use but they generaly have to big a bar (looks good in the shop) replace this with a smaller bar and chain and you have a better ballanced piece of kit with a better power to weight ratio

Get the training wear the safety kit (don't rely on the safety gear it don't always work as well as promised use the tool properly!) and if you are down my way give me a knock and i will run through the basics with you if it helps

Oh and i have cut myself more times with handsaws than anything else and they bleed like buggery :lol:

Yes thank you.

Gloves, chaps, boots, jacket and helmet.

Yes he may say "you look like you own wooden boats and are equipped to mill your own planks."

I have the correct equipment for the job.

Perhaps Freud might have something to say about that, too.

Thank you too. Therein lies the problem. I am tired of seeing macho men wielding chainsaws in the wrong manner, wearing teeshirts, sawn off denims and trainers etc.. They often have no face or head protection. I have seen them on stepladders, and I know I mentioned about a year or so ago that one bufoon was cutting logs on the canal bank whilst his partner held them in her bare hands. I am glad you use your saw properly, I would hate you or any member to injure yourself. However for every responsible user like you, I will show you ten amateur chainsaw operators who don't have even a basic clue how to use it safely. I remain unconvinced and will always maintain that chainsaws should be for professional use by licenced operators only. The bad operators are a danger to others as well as themselves. You will not move me on that one.

Edited to add that I emailed BW three times after witnessing that potentially disastrous event on the towpath, and asked them whether they approved of chainsaw use in private hands on their land. No reply. I suppose that makes me a snitch, but I will live with that.

Edited by Guest

I have a rule about tools:

Never use a tool, on a boat, that you would get upset about, if it goes in the drink.

I have a workshop full of professional quality tools and a boat full of "Tesco Value" kit.

The only exceptions to this rule are jigsaws and palm sanders. You get what you pay for, in these instances, and I only use Makita (since the professional Bosch jigsaw went downhill).

The £25-30 Lidl 'barrel' jigsaw is a lot closer to a Makita than other jigsaws in the lower price ranges, (and probably closer than Makita owners would like to admit :lol: )

That said decent blades also make a lot of difference, Bosch taper ground ones are my faves.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete