Bow Hauling HELP Required !

Oliver1954

Featured Posts

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this request, if it isn't I'm sure one of the Mods will be able to move it.

I've had the following message and thought that maybe there may be help available through our members here.

I will be on the T&M by Friday, travelling from Brinklow to Shardlow.

"Sue Williams, of the Lichfield and Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust, for help with bow-hauling the historic narrowboats, Raymond and Nutfield, through Atherstone locks on Friday morning from 8am! They are on their way to the gathering, but only have a crew of three".

Please contact Sue if you can help.

Sue Williams, Secretary

Lichfield & Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust Ltd.

Norfolk House, 29 Hall Lane,

Hammerwich, Staffs WS7 0JP

Phone: 01543 671427 Mobile: 07968 168728

"Sue Williams, of the Lichfield and Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust, for help with bow-hauling the historic narrowboats, Raymond and Nutfield, through Atherstone locks on Friday morning from 8am! They are on their way to the gathering, but only have a crew of three".

Hopefully Nutfield can get through under it's own power, even if Raymond needs bow-hauling ?

Or have they broken it ?

I guess, terms apart, they are just after an additional pair of hands to work through the flight.

- I cant see anything wrong with that really especially if someone here is interested in helping for a bit, although if it doesnt materialise they should be able to cope...

I would say for working a pair through a flight, three is pretty much the idea number. Four wouldnt hurt. Anything more is a crowd.

Daniel

Three hands is plenty of people to work a pair , especially when empty, no crew required, send one down with motor and leave two on the butty, just remember to tow on the longer pounds at atherstone. I just love the mentality of trust boats that seem to think they need dozens of people to work a pair through locks. In my opinion as daniel says any more than four your tripping over each other. In any case its efficency, not the amount of crew or running to set the locks its being in the right place at the right time with the mininum amount of effort, rant over for now