Joint splitter

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Due to a complete lash up by the heating installers (previous owners) I need to re plumb the radiators.

Question.

How do I undo a hep 'T' piece to extend some copper pipe?

Hopefully there's a tool available somewhere as I'm struggling to undo them.

Any advice would be very welcome.

I hate plastic fittings as I'm always worried about breaking the damn things.

Thanks

Mike

Due to a complete lash up by the heating installers (previous owners) I need to re plumb the radiators.

Question.

How do I undo a hep 'T' piece to extend some copper pipe?

Hopefully there's a tool available somewhere as I'm struggling to undo them.

Any advice would be very welcome.

I hate plastic fittings as I'm always worried about breaking the damn things.

If it is a Hep2O fitting it should unscrew and the pipes pull out with the rubber seals etc., only problem is getting them off the pipe if you need to?

If it is a Hep2O fitting it should unscrew and the pipes pull out with the rubber seals etc., only problem is getting them off the pipe if you need to?

Yes they're Hep20 'T' pieces reducing to 15mm for the rad feed (copper pipe)

Never worked on hep before so your info is very useful.

Rubber seals etc - could you let me know what the "etc" is please so I know what to look out for.

Can I buy replacement seals etc or do I have to replace the entire piece?

Getting them off the pipe sounds interesting - do hep do valium?

Thanks

Mike

Rubber seals etc - could you let me know what the "etc" is please so I know what to look out for.

It consists of a rubber seal (which may stay in the fitting) plastic seat (to protect the seal) and a metal clamp which digs holes in the pipe.

If you have to remove the metal clip thingy it can be a problem, but if your gentle they are usually reusable (especially if they have not been on very long)!

If you just need to remove the pipe from the fitting and are putting it back then it should be easy?

Yes they're Hep20 'T' pieces reducing to 15mm for the rad feed (copper pipe)

Never worked on hep before so your info is very useful.

Thanks

Mike

From memory, there's a metal grab-ring, a rubber o-ring and a white plastic ring, in that order. The o-ring and plastic ring just slide off. The grab ring will only easily move up the pipe, so you can remove it from the other end of the pipe, if that's accessible.

I've always re-used the whole lot without problems.

If you can just unscrew a joint and have a look - all will then become clear.

MP.

It consists of a rubber seal (which may stay in the fitting) plastic seat (to protect the seal) and a metal clamp which digs holes in the pipe.

If you have to remove the metal clip thingy it can be a problem, but if your gentle they are usually reusable (especially if they have not been on very long)!

If you just need to remove the pipe from the fitting and are putting it back then it should be easy?

From memory, there's a metal grab-ring, a rubber o-ring and a white plastic ring, in that order. The o-ring and plastic ring just slide off. The grab ring will only easily move up the pipe, so you can remove it from the other end of the pipe, if that's accessible.

I've always re-used the whole lot without problems.

If you can just unscrew a joint and have a look - all will then become clear.

MP.

Thanks for replies - most appreciated.

Waiting for eber parts so will sort the whole system out at the same time - hopefully at the weekend.

Mike

Thanks for replies - most appreciated.

Waiting for eber parts so will sort the whole system out at the same time - hopefully at the weekend.

Mike

Might it be prudent to purchase a few fittings in advance just in case? They're pretty cheap.

T :lol:

Edit to change 'very' to 'pretty' because it's not like they're pennies :lol:

Edited by WotEver

Might it be prudent to purchase a few fittings in advance just in case? They're pretty cheap.

T :lol:

Edit to change 'very' to 'pretty' because it's not like they're pennies :lol:

Good idea - it's an hours round trip to the nearest stockist and sods law says it'll be 7pm on Sunday when I break one :lol:

Nice one!

Mike

The screw fitting bit should only be hand tight. When I've found them too tight, a pipe wrench does the job. You can buy spares, all you need are the grab rings. Sometimes you can reuse these but they can be hard to get off and if you have spares it's easier just to snip them with sidecutters. If you really need them off in one piece, screw them while pushing towards the end, they cut a fine thread and come off. Off course, you then have to wire wool the pipe to get rid of this thread.

I use Speedfit nowadays, similar idea but readily dismountable, same price.

If these are the grey plastic fittings, I've got some in the shed and could send you a few grab rings if you like.

Make sure you note the order of the bits as they come out, some of the older fittings had quite a few components.

These things don't work with stainless pipe, and only with chrome pipe if you sand off the chrome.

The screw fitting bit should only be hand tight. When I've found them too tight, a pipe wrench does the job. You can buy spares, all you need are the grab rings. Sometimes you can reuse these but they can be hard to get off and if you have spares it's easier just to snip them with sidecutters. If you really need them off in one piece, screw them while pushing towards the end, they cut a fine thread and come off. Off course, you then have to wire wool the pipe to get rid of this thread.

I use Speedfit nowadays, similar idea but readily dismountable, same price.

If these are the grey plastic fittings, I've got some in the shed and could send you a few grab rings if you like.

Make sure you note the order of the bits as they come out, some of the older fittings had quite a few components.

These things don't work with stainless pipe, and only with chrome pipe if you sand off the chrome.

hep make two typs of fitting the slimline are not demountable.

but the standard ones are.

there is a spesial plastic tool to remove the grab ring only cost a couple of quid it is green

use silicone grese on the o ring when reusing as the origonal coating will have warn away.

if you use any tool apart form the proper one i would not reuse the grab ring as they deform and dont grab properly.

when using copper pipe in any plastic fitting always use a pipe cutter not a hacksaw on the pipe end to be inserted as any rough edge can damage the o ring and it will leak.

hope that helps