More on Electrics

Old Son

Featured Posts

I have been reading the recent post on charging and stuff and have just realised my boat only seems to have 240V sockets throughout. The lights and ancillaries, pumps and fridge are 24V. I posted earlier that the programmer for the diesel heating only seems to work when the inverter is working. Is that normal? Does this mean that in the winter I would need to leave the inverter on all night to run the heating and is this also normal?

How much power would a Ring 2KW inverter use if it was just switched on with no draw of power. Its taken me a few weeks to realise this, just shows how little knowledge I have.

I have been reading the recent post on charging and stuff and have just realised my boat only seems to have 240V sockets throughout. The lights and ancillaries, pumps and fridge are 24V. I posted earlier that the programmer for the diesel heating only seems to work when the inverter is working. Is that normal? Does this mean that in the winter I would need to leave the inverter on all night to run the heating and is this also normal?

How much power would a Ring 2KW inverter use if it was just switched on with no draw of power. Its taken me a few weeks to realise this, just shows how little knowledge I have.

We use a Danfoss TP5 7 day programmer which is powered by a couple of AA batteries which have only been replaced once in 4 years.

They are a common feature in boats.

I posted earlier that the programmer for the diesel heating only seems to work when the inverter is working. Is that normal?

What make is the controller?

How much power would a Ring 2KW inverter use if it was just switched on with no draw of power.

That's next to impossible to research because Ring (along with most other inverter suppliers) don't publish the quiescent current of their inverters. The fact that the inverter has a "standby" mode (assuming it's a RINV2024) suggests to me that they're masking the fact that the quiescent current is actually quite high. So I'd take a guess at 5 amps.

Hopefully someone who has experience of these inverters (Gibbo?) will come along and give you actual figures that they have measured. Hopefully also, it will be lower than my guess.

Regards,

Tony :lol:

Never measured that model but I would take a guess at around 1.5 amps for a 24 volt unit. Standy probably about 0.6 to 0.8 amps but that's no use as it won't power the timer.

Get rid of the timer and get a battery powered one. That's a household one you've got.

Gibbo

I have now managed to find the timer on Google and its an Ebaspacher Mini Clock so if deffo is not 240V. Its more than likely 24V. Now the fact I have not seen it working without the inverter on maybe just a coincidence. I will try and set it up this weekend to see if it does work. In the meanwhile I have taken your advice and ordered a TP5. I might need some help wiring this in though. Hope thats OK and thanks to everybody for your help. This forum is great. :lol: