Ansty - Three Questions

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

This Summer I cruised through Ansty twice, and each time the section between 14 and 13A raised three questions. I wonder if anyone can help answer them.

1) Beyond the end of the long term moorings section, there is about 600m of towpath with severe BW notices stating that no mooring is allowed; is there a reason for this?

2) All along this same section, the variety of housing is extreme: 17th century cottages, Victorian terraces and individual examples of houses from almost every late 20th century estate that was ever built; again, is there a reason for this?

3) Finally, close by bridge 13A there is a Victorian house with the wonderful name "Alphabet Cottage". Sadly it is in poor repair. Does anyone know its history?

Even if I get no answers, a few more boaters may be tmpted to look again at this rather odd stretch!

This Summer I cruised through Ansty twice, and each time the section between 14 and 13A raised three questions. I wonder if anyone can help answer them.

1) Beyond the end of the long term moorings section, there is about 600m of towpath with severe BW notices stating that no mooring is allowed; is there a reason for this?

2) All along this same section, the variety of housing is extreme: 17th century cottages, Victorian terraces and individual examples of houses from almost every late 20th century estate that was ever built; again, is there a reason for this?

3) Finally, close by bridge 13A there is a Victorian house with the wonderful name "Alphabet Cottage". Sadly it is in poor repair. Does anyone know its history?

Even if I get no answers, a few more boaters may be tmpted to look again at this rather odd stretch!

I"ll certainly look out for those severe notices.

I've always assumed that the signs were because of the houses on the road alongside. The canal at that point is on an embankment, so boats are at the same height as their bedroom windows. Even though the houses are much newer than the canal, we're all aware of severl places where the views of householders seem to take priority.

The houses opposite objected to the sight of those nasty boats mooring on a canal and persuaded BW to ban moooring opposite their homes. It's as simple as that and increasingly common on the cut these days. There used (may still be) to be a cottage near the Tom O' the Woods at Rowington.

Roger

The houses opposite objected to the sight of those nasty boats mooring on a canal and persuaded BW to ban moooring opposite their homes. It's as simple as that and increasingly common on the cut these days. There used (may still be) to be a cottage near the Tom O' the Woods at Rowington.

Roger

Still the same.

Richard