Gate pulled off on T & M

seaandland

Featured Posts

Having been up and down this canal quite a bit one does find the wedges/bolts loose and I get the impression that they need to be checked regular and fixed tight or as the gates get hit/close/ opened that collar can get looser and looser.

I have got a lump hammer out and tightened the odd wedge before now. It's the same as going and sending water down if a pound is empty. Years ago it was normal to try to fix things. Now in our Nanny state a lot of boaters wouldn't dirty their hands.

Im sure that if there was enough boaters around on this lock they could have lifted it back on 89.gif201.gif

Im sure that if there was enough boaters around on this lock they could have lifted it back on 89.gif201.gif

It would have been tricky!

The normal way of fitting these is with the strap in place. and lift them up before dropping them on.

Slightly trickier than positioning the gate and fixing the strap in place.

Here by lies the problem;

The collar that the gate was pulled off was not bolted to the gate, it was free standing. The bottom two gates are bolted, I don’t know if this is for a specific reason but it would explain why the fender rope got under the collar and popped it off probably more easier than if it was bolted.

Gate that came off collar below

Image026-3.jpg

The bolted bottom gates below;

Image025-1.jpg

Image024-3.jpg

The collar that the gate was pulled off was not bolted to the gate, it was free standing. The bottom two gates are bolted, I don't know if this is for a specific reason but it would explain why the fender rope got under the collar and popped it off probably more easier than if it was bolted.

Image026-3.jpg

Ah, now THAT does help to explain just what happened!

My main difficulty was trying to work out just how a side fender had managed to lift the gate enough to take it off the top mount.

With the through bolt missing, the fender only needs to lift the collar, and the gate is free.

The collar that the gate was pulled off was not bolted to the gate, it was free standing. The bottom two gates are bolted, I don’t know if this is for a specific reason but it would explain why the fender rope got under the collar and popped it off probably more easier than if it was bolted.

The bolted bottom gates below;

Thanks for that John. Those pictures make it clear.

Richard

Though it is damned poor form to spoil a good speculative argument by bringing in facts...

Fallen off or removed by scrotes

I'd venture that it was neither, there are no visible bolt holes as there are in the other pics so I would guess it is either a design fault or maintenance oversight...more likely the former due to lack of said holes, as the bottom gates do have the bolts I would say it is for supposed ease of fitting and maintenance that this top gate and perhaps others dont have them. It is however a problem if more and more people are going to go boating with the trainer wheels on :lol::lol: