Gas Hose

Featured Posts

Apparently I need to "Replace the flexible gas pipe in the gas locker with a pre made BS 3212 part 2 gas hose." Where would I get one of these from?

Ta

Matt

BES (Google). Or a Calor Gas centre, or a Caravan Dealer, or a Chandler in, probably, increasing order of price.

Oh, and you will need a Gas Safe ( CORGI) registered fitter with LPG and boat endorsements to install it if you don't know what you are doing. Since I guess you would know where to get one if you knew how to install it I would recommend a professional. A professional will probably have the item anyway.

N

Edited by BEngo

Note that the hoses are date stamped and may fail a BSC inspection if expired.

So beware of buying old stock!

I agree with the advice - some I have seen in chandleries are dated several years ago.

That said the BSS regs only specify that the hoses must be in good condition - I have never found anything in them that says they must be changed every "'n" years - that seems to be an urban myth.

I was interested that when we had a BSS inspection done, the examiner looked at the ages on our braided hoses by actually reaching in and removing the date tags from them, then putting them back afterwards. It seems if you wish to convince that your hoses are recent, you could just replace the date tags (only) on older hoses with some off newer hoses. :lol:

Of course the orange hose is actually stamped on the outside, so not as easy to disguise it's age.

FWIW, when I changed the (approx) 12 year old braided hoses on our boat, I broke a couple of the old ones open to check condition of the hose within. It looked brand new, fully flexible, with no cracking or crazing. Any suggestion that after (say) 4 years they need replacing seems nonsensical to me. Of course ones in the gas locker itself may get damaged over time, but those connecting appliances are highly unlikely to.

My god! BES really does assume that I know what I'm talking about. Low pressure or high pressure? What type of end do I need? All I currently know is that the existing hoses are black and are about 21" long! (Don't get excited girls!) It runs from the regulators on the cylinders to the switch over valve.

Edited by Matthew Knowles

Are you talking about black hoses that actually connect the gas bottles to the rest of the system.

Typically if it's a propanne system, these will have a domed bullet at one end, with a left hand thread connector to go to the bottles, and at the other end will probably connect to a combined changeover valve and regulator, (assuming you have multiple cylinders connected at once).

These are "high pressure pigtails". Look under "LPG Pigtail Assemblies" "Pigtail Assemblies for Propane", (assuming you use Propane).

You are only allowed to make these changes yourself if you are fully competant with gas plumbing. I don't mean to be unkind, but if you can't easily identify in a BES catalogue which pipe you need, there is a question-mark about whether you have the experience to be fitting them, however trivial that appears.

Possibly you should get a professional involved, even though it sounds a simple task ?

Apparently I need to "Replace the flexible gas pipe in the gas locker with a pre made BS 3212 part 2 gas hose." Where would I get one of these from?

Ta

Matt

Is that the pipe from bottle to regulator? and are we talking propane? with a regulator that is fixed to copper pipe?

in which case you need one of these;

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/LPG_...d_Spanners.html

if it's a standard red propane regulator then you need the one POL x W20

or this ebay item 80331704464