Under the floorboards

Featured Posts

We had occasion to lift a floorboard over the weekend, as it was "sagging" in the middle. The cause was immediately apparent and easily fixable, but we got our first glimpse of the (inside) bottom of our boat. It was damp and rusty.

We could not see very far underneath as the hull is cross-sectioned with steel, but I suspect the rest is the same.

My question is, is this normal? There was no water running around, but it was very damp with small pools of water and the whole floor was rusty orange.

Thanks

JO.

We had occasion to lift a floorboard over the weekend, as it was "sagging" in the middle. The cause was immediately apparent and easily fixable, but we got our first glimpse of the (inside) bottom of our boat. It was damp and rusty.

We could not see very far underneath as the hull is cross-sectioned with steel, but I suspect the rest is the same.

My question is, is this normal? There was no water running around, but it was very damp with small pools of water and the whole floor was rusty orange.

Thanks

JO.

Hi Jo.

Whereabouts was this board you lifted? At the front, middle or back? In a shower room?

Our bilge is usually dry but orange with rust from previous water tank leaks. The water will collect in the back corners.

I would say that you bilge should be dry too, but it is just possible you have an ancient, through bilge hull.

Richard

Sounds as if water has at some time leaked under the floor boards and when it got there, it had nowhere else to go so just sat around. Was the floorboard you lifted at the rear of the cabin? If not, I suggest you lift one there and have a look as water tends to drift back there. We made a little inspection hatch in the floor which we can lift and check every now and again and this gives a good indication if there is a leak anywhere. Drying it can be a pain unless you have a wet and dry Vac but leaving a few floorboards up for several days helps.

HTH haggis

Guys thanks for your replies

The floorboard we lifted was at the back, a couple of feet from our inspection hatch (which is also slightly damp). We have had a leak in the past (long story) where water built up in the engine compartment and seeped into a back cupboard via the hole cut for the central heating pipes. The carpets and floor boards were sopping wet but all dried out very quickly (last summer). So it sounds as though this may be left over from that fiasco.

Doesn't look like its a through bilge hull (boat is a Colecraft 1996), as we cannot get our hand very far along before we hit a steel crossbar.

Perhaps we need to leave the floorboards up for a while and let it all dry out. I am pretty confident that there is no leak now.

Thanks very much

Jo.

Guys thanks for your replies

The floorboard we lifted was at the back, a couple of feet from our inspection hatch (which is also slightly damp). We have had a leak in the past (long story) where water built up in the engine compartment and seeped into a back cupboard via the hole cut for the central heating pipes. The carpets and floor boards were sopping wet but all dried out very quickly (last summer). So it sounds as though this may be left over from that fiasco.

Doesn't look like its a through bilge hull (boat is a Colecraft 1996), as we cannot get our hand very far along before we hit a steel crossbar.

Perhaps we need to leave the floorboards up for a while and let it all dry out. I am pretty confident that there is no leak now.

Thanks very much

Jo.

I'm surprised that there is still water there from last summer. Our bilge is currently bone dry even though we had a pump leak back in the spring.

Have a check around the pipes from your water tank and also around your water pump.

I'm also surprised that you could get enough water in your engine compartment that it could run into your cabin. How low down are those central heating pipe holes?

Richard

I'm surprised that there is still water there from last summer. Our bilge is currently bone dry even though we had a pump leak back in the spring.

Have a check around the pipes from your water tank and also around your water pump.

I'm also surprised that you could get enough water in your engine compartment that it could run into your cabin. How low down are those central heating pipe holes?

Richard

Ok will check the pipes and pump, but thinking about it I now remember that my sister said they flooded the bathroom last week (forgot to use the water pump out I reckon) and so the water could have come from that!! (doh).

The water last year came from the section under the drive shaft (rather than the engine), the drive shaft was faulty and dripping a lot - over about 4 weeks it eventually overlowed through the central heating pipe holes - they are not too low down, we were just unlucky. Drive shaft sorted now. The inspection hatched showed the bilge was completely dry some weeks after that, so you are right - it must be a more recent problem causing the water this time.

Jo.

Ok will check the pipes and pump, but thinking about it I now remember that my sister said they flooded the bathroom last week (forgot to use the water pump out I reckon) and so the water could have come from that!! (doh).

Jo.

:lol:

That could be it!

Richard

I've got a small welding problem with my skin tanks (Mea culpa) I had filled the system up with water when I really should have pressure tested with air first.

Anyway. I pumped out as much as I could and ground away the dodgy bits of welding. Then I just put two or three babies nappies down near the leaks. Its amazing how much they absorb. By the weight I reckon a good half pint each. I will keep a couple aboard for leaks and spills in the future.