Middle Northwich Narrowboat THEOPHILUS

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I thought I knew the whereabouts of Middle Northwich "Star" THEOPHILUS. (GUCCCo Fleet No 91, I think ?)

This was one that was formerly cut to a tug / icebreaker like Sickle, and server as part of Wyvern Shipping's hire fleet for many years.

What is almost certainly that boat was still very recently a houseboat, moored at Little Venice just short of the tunnel. It was still cruiser sterned, probably still sporting it's wood cabin from hire boat days.

But on the Trent and Mersey between Anderton and Middlewich is moored an immaculate GUCCO boat, with traditional boatman's cabin and engine room and a full conversion.

This boat is also named THEOPHILUS, and carries the 91 fleet number. I'd guess it's around 60 feet, and looks very similar to how Sextans has now been re-lengthened, (similar blue GUCCCo paint job).

So is this a different boat from the Little Venice one, or has that had some major conversion done since we last saw it, (seems unlikely, as I think that was only Whitsun).

I'm very confused, but feel sure someone will know.

I didn't note the exact location but FENNY (of Fenny Fuels) is moored at the same T&M location as the mystery THEOPHILUS.

Hi Alan,

The Theopilus you mention on the same moorings as Fenny (Orchard Marina) is a brand new boat which is only a couple of years old, if that. It's a modern replica by Brinklow Boats I beleive and is currently up for sale. The last time I spotted it on Apollo Duck the guide price was around £150K.

I went past a few days ago and took a couple of pics. I will post them tomorrow once I have found my camera.

Edited by Liam

Hi Alan,

The Theopilus you mention on the same moorings as Fenny (Orchard Marina) is a brand new boat which is only a couple of years old, if that. It's a modern replica by Brinklow Boats I beleive and is currently up for sale. The last time I spotted it on Apollo Duck the guide price was around £150K.

I went past a few days ago and took a couple of pics. I will post them tomorrow once I have found my camera.

Ah,

I fear I may have been tricked !

My excuse is that I was boating past, so only got to have a very quick look.

It did look rather too perfect for something 70 or so years old, and certianly the "real" THEOPHILUS would need some serious work done to look anything like as unflawed.

I think you are right - a fake - not the real thing at all.

Ah,

I fear I may have been tricked !

My excuse is that I was boating past, so only got to have a very quick look.

It did look rather too perfect for something 70 or so years old, and certianly the "real" THEOPHILUS would need some serious work done to look anything like as unflawed.

I think you are right - a fake - not the real thing at all.

To give the builder his due I think "close replica" may be a more diplomatic term than "fake" but it shows just how good it must be.

I note with interest that the builder, certainly one of the elite, has quietly joined this forum and made a few posts.

Edited: Exact replica changed to close replica following Timleech's post below.

Edited by andywatson

To give the builder his due I think "exact replica" may be a more diplomatic term than "fake" but it shows just how good it must be.

I note with interest that the builder, certainly one of the elite, has quietly joined this forum and made a few posts.

Yes, that's fair comment.

Certainly a lot more like the real thing than the so called "Northwich Replicas" from at least one other builder.

As I say, I didn't get a good look, but it never occurred to me that it might be a recent build

To give the builder his due I think "exact replica" may be a more diplomatic term than "fake" but it shows just how good it must be.

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=108077

'Exact replica' isn't right either, to be exact it would have to be all rivetted, wooden cants, vee bottom, etc etc.

I've no idea whether the hull rivets are real, not seen it in the flesh, but either way it looks to be a very nice job and much closer to the original form than most others.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

If Steve picks up on this thread it might be interesting to know what price he would put on an, as near as is physically possible in this day and age, new build of a ready to work Woolwich or Northwich :o:lol:

It would be interesting to compare with the 1930's prices and yes I am sitting down :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just spent a quid on the Lotto therefore I feel sure I will be in the market for a fleet by Saturday night could you start work next Monday????? :lol:B);) ;)

I'll own up to it, the Theophilus on the Trent and Mersey is one of mine. Alan Fincher is right that the original Theophilus is at Little Venice, is one of the four middle Northwich motors that were converted to icebreaker/tugs in the forties, and became a Wyvern Shipping hire boat, along with Sextans.

The new Theophilus is actually a copy of a little Northwich rather than a middle one, and whilst the rivets on the hull are false, the back cabin and engine room ones are real.

We built the boat for Gary Shepherd, a boat fitter from the North West, and he fitted it out himself last year. He was keen to call the boat Theophilus as the name had a family significance for him.

Incidentally, Sextans was still in its Wyvern guise when it came to me 12 or so years ago. I lengthened it by 10' using side plates left over from the conversion of the Thea, put a new back cabin, engine room, and conversion on and replaced the Wyvern lister SR2 with a HR2. While Rex Wain fitted out the back cabin, the more recent fit out in the coversion was done by Gary Shepherd.

Graham, I haven't got a clue how much an 'exact' replica would cost, but the lotto win would need to be a good one

The new Theophilus is actually a copy of a little Northwich rather than a middle one, and whilst the rivets on the hull are false, the back cabin and engine room ones are real.

It probably lacks the Middle Northwich roll then !

These were "interesting" boats to use as hire boats, to say the least, and, unlike other Wyvern boats of the time, had fiddle rails around the hotplate to try and prevent boiling pans emptying over the customers.

Congratulations though, Steve - at a quick look, it had me fooled.

• 3 months later...